Gold, silver or cash?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by forgedinfire, Apr 21, 2020.

?

Gold or Silver by dollar value - Advice/Comments appreciated

1. All Gold

2. Mostly Gold

3. Half & Half

4. Mostly Silver

5. All Silver

6. Stay in Cash

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. forgedinfire

forgedinfire Member

Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way. We'll see I guess!

madaw1 likes this.
  2. bubbleboy

bubbleboy Member

Cash is transactional, have enough for a few months of transaction necessities.
    Crypto-currency is a niche item in a large world.

"For investment (not trading) purposes, it is clear that if the gold silver ratio keeps climbing, gold will outperform silver on a long-term basis. If you like precious metals to diversify your portfolio, you should buy gold and not silver."
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4338404-gold-silver-ratio-will-keep-on-climbing

Silver is an industrial commodity. It stopped being money 150 years ago. It's value as an industrial commodity overran the last vestiges of being a form of money in the 1960's. It's now a mostly overvalued commodity due to the distant memory of that ancient role.

Gold is the center of wealth. As the credit money backed by real people in economy is replaced by base money from central banks. The expanding base money of dollars is loosing it's utility as a stable reference of value. Gold moves to become the new base of value from which everything else is referenced. There will be bargains in tangible goods in the process of moving central bank reference point from cash to gold. But that opportunity remains a brief and very risky period for cash holders who can't collectively move enough cash fast enough all at the same time. The optimum point of wealth preservation game theory as we transition has already been chosen, gold.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  3. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Havent heard wiser words posted on this forum ever. Where the bloody hell have you been?

4. bubbleboy

bubbleboy Member

It can be quite disruptive to post about silver being at the bottom of the pile on a forum called Silver Stackers. I prefer to be more subtle and idea raising and not to be so blunt. However there is greater disruption going on out in the world now. I have a few nice pieces of silver myself. But not because I think that economic value will be referenced into tangible things like silver coins, bullets or tinned food. I have silver because it looks nice on the shelf. While gold is even more hidden during the process of transition.

forgedinfire and 66rounds like this.
  5. BBQ

BBQ Member

I think gold will do better right now (as it has) & silver will do better later. I am not keen on buying either now.

I am thinking of putting a small amount of cash in a private non-Bitcoin crypto coin. Mainly I want to start playing with a private crypto rather than chase massive profits. I'm well overdue (I never thought Bitcoin would amount to anything). Bitcoin is not truly private (as I suspected when it first came out). I personally wouldn't save over the longer-term (2+ years) in cash, even though I voted cash.

sgbuyer likes this.
  6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who thinks by percentage, gold performs better than silver?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. OneDay

OneDay Active Member Silver Stacker

Silver physical seems to be a bit scarce.

8. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

No, only income sources and salary money stays in the bank :) also using electronic transfer purchases due to covid concerns.

forgedinfire likes this.
  9. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've never considered gold and silver as competitors. Silver is primarily an industrial metal. This is why silver is attractive to me, because doesn't have the same fundamentals as gold and serves as a diversification for gold, which remains my top holding followed by cash.

Last edited: May 3, 2020