ebay question

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by dragafem, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had a guy buy a coin off me with a zero feedback and weird user name. The item was going to be sent by standard post so I bit the bullet and sent it. A day later a similar situation arose with a different user name, I looked, I thought, that's the same sending address so thought something was up.

I contacted ebay via their chat services about this person and they checked them out. They said that if someone casually drops into ebay without signing in then ebay auto generates a temporary user name. I said then it would be my risk as they are asking for standard post to which they said "it all appears legitimate but if you want to you can choose not sell to this buyer anymore". Over 5 days, I had 3 separate orders with 3 separate user names but the same address. On each occasion I sent the package, took heaps of photos and screenshots as evidence but it all went through without any incident. But I can tell you I was a bit stressed out. Never heard from them again.

66rounds likes this.
  2. Mobius2011

Mobius2011 New Member

Hi guys

I'm a bit confused about something. I'm a bit new to buying gold and silver bullion. I've bought gold and silver from Ainslie Bullion ( in person) and friends before and one coin from eBay. But looking at the Ainslie site on say a 2020 1oz silver kangaroo, vs eBay. I see Ainslie has it at $31.63 and a seller on eBay has it at $60.00. Double the price. Why is this? I can understand a coin that is no longer available through one of the bullion dealers, or mint, but not one that is. I gather Ainslie would charge a decent postage cost, but surely not $30.

What's the go?

3. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

IMO, Ainslie know where the market is and what stackers will pay....Ebay seller is opportunistic and looking for a sucker to pay over the odds. It's an open market place.

Silverling likes this.
  4. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Plus ebay charges 10.9% in fees plus PayPal fees are 2.6% + .30c on top which the seller must get back. But the guy selling the kanga is still being opportunistic and will probably never sell it at that price.

5. Mobius2011

Mobius2011 New Member

Ok, that makes sense. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I thought perhaps there was some sort of apprehension or paranoia about going direct to a bullion dealer, as opposed to eBay and that people were willing to pay a premium for not going to a bullion dealer. Reeks of conspiracy theory, I know, but seeing I'm fairly noob to this, I didn't know. So that puts that one to rest. It's just gouging really. Or as you say, opportunism.

Silverling likes this.
  6. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

I hate ebay as a seller, I used to use it to sell everything when fees were reasonable.
    I do however still have a ebay store and sell daily, But only because the items I have a specialty items I find is easiest to find that sort of buyer. But the main reason for only selling this item is because the markup is huge and can afford to pay the stupid ebay fees. Still I hate watching a few grand a year go into ebays pocket.
    Ebay is a huge ripoff.
    I sell packs of brass slotted screws there, I bought a pallet with over 10000 packs of NOS on it for $700. I each pack sells for $6-$18 on ebay which is actually cheap compared to specialty fastener stores , and are extremely hard to buy these screws now that are solid brass slotted screws so they sell like hotcakes.
    But yer thats the only reason to sell there, if you find it hard to find the right market elsewhere and you have a huge markup on the item and can afford the fees. I doubt once all these screws sell Ill sell anything else on ebay. im down to about 3000 packs left so about 10 months worth of stock at the current rate, and Im done with ebay. thankfully the types of people the Items I sell attracts are easy to deal with, usually old timers wanting to fix up their old antique furniture. so I dont get that charge back BS guys get when selling PM

Silverling likes this.
  7. Applesmfc

Applesmfc Member Silver Stacker

Hi all.

I just sold a 1oz Gold Coin on eBay for way overs. I wasn’t really expecting it to sell but I thought I’d test the waters.

The buyer has paid in full via PayPal but I’m concerned they have absolutely no history. I plan to post Express Post with Signature.

Am I absolutely protected as the seller in these circumstances. Are there any known scams that might suggest I should abort this sale?

Thanks in advance!!

8. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Video you packing it and addressing it with no stops in recording

Applesmfc likes this.
  9. LiverBird

LiverBird Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hope you're not sending it to Albania!

10. Applesmfc

That
    I’d thought that might be the smart thing to do too.

11. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

If Australian buyer, then you have some sort of protection against frauds... to limitations... PayPal always favors Buyers, and, I hope you did record your packaging, as these newbies are a red flag for me...

All the best!

12. bubblebobble2

13. Applesmfc

Will be posting tomorrow. I’ll film weighing, then packaging and show the tracking code on camera. I’ll take photos too. If they try and pull a chargeback if I’m meticulous and document everything I’m fully covered right?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  14. bubblebobble2

Where to? Overseas? If yes, then give your coin a kiss good bye...photos meant jack-sh!t to eBay and PayPal when you're trying to defend overseas claim...AUS buyer, then atleast you have CA (limited) as long as you hv home address of buyer...zero history buyer is always a no-no for me, yet I still get burnt with existing buyers in AUS...

That's my 2cents worth----less?!

Silverbandit007 likes this.
  15. Applesmfc

I really appreciate your two bob worth. My gut is very nervous about this. The address is a Tasmanian address so not overseas.

What is the CA you are referring too? Also, when you say burnt are you saying it’s possible I could lose everything to PayPal?

I’m now swaying towards canceling the transaction and keep my trades on a trusted site like this.

16. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Have you checked the Tas address to find out what type of premises it's being (??) sent to or is it PO Box?

If you do decide to cancel the transaction, Bullion Now will pay spot up to 10oz for gold. Might not be as much as what you sold it for on ebay, but you will have peace of mind....just my 2c too.

17. bubblebobble2

CA - Consumer affairs... Tassie is still part of oz... only domestic travel... you need to weight the headache you'd get from newbies... even on this site....imagine trying to defend yourself over the Tasman...is it worthwhile?

18. bubblebobble2

Listen to your gut.

19. bubblebobble2

Auspost doesn't do SoD due to COVID-19... but you still can buy it :mad:

20. Applesmfc

Thanks all. I’ve read the above thread, listened to feedback and I’m going to cancel. Not worth the risk of a protracted battle for the sake of a quick flip.

I’ll sleep easier tonight knowing it still belongs to me.

Thanks all.

Silverling, Oddjob and bubblebobble2 like this.