Today I Stockpiled...

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Eureka Moments, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Had a giggle yesterday at woolies chechout when paying with card and being asked "Would you like some (possibly infected) cash out?"

Lustre and Silver260 like this.
  2. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Gingers and garlics @$40/kg.. food has risen 30-40%.. whole chicken $20 each (not by kg)..and aussie got handed $750AUD.. nothing compared to US @ $3K USD... but saving banks $BILLIONS...thanks ScoMo!

66rounds and Silver260 like this.
  3. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had food for three or four months before the SHTF. When it looked like it would go bad I got my partner a stock of canned food. Just recently I put together a care package of 2 minute noodles for my son. My only concern is that I live in two different houses so may need to make a call if I go into isolation.

4. Krakked789

Krakked789 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting a camping stove and gas cans. I have a hunch that s**t may get serious soon with blackouts across cities. Internet down is another possibility. This is so obviously orchestrated it's not funny. In fact, it's not funny full stop.

Holdfast and 66rounds like this.
  5. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

Just tore up the yard and made a 3x2 vege plot. Should have a harvest in 10 weeks or so. Had to really travel some distance to get all the seeds I was after, disappearing quickly

Oddjob, 66rounds and Holdfast like this.
  6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Did you get all the seeds you needed? What are you growing?

66rounds likes this.
  7. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do it , Ive had a single burner one for years to do steamboats. They are reliable, portable, cheap and a small footprint. Get a nice big wok to use on it.

I dont know about citywide blackouts though...hasnt happened elsewhere

8. metalzzz

Pretty much got everything I want to plant for the next year in seeds now. Currently in the ground I have, long beans, broccoli, bit of lettuce, carrots, beetroot, snow peas then filled in some gaps with radish (not keen on them but I’ll eat it). Carrot seeds and broccoli were really hard to find in my area. You have some seeds?
    Then filled a few grow bags with spuds and onions. I was lucky I went on a bit of a rampage at home a couple of years with planting edible trees. So I have quite a few different things that should be fruiting for the first time this year hopefully. Tamarind, bananas gen2, native apples.

Oddjob and Holdfast like this.
  9. Holdfast

^ Great work.
    Will you have to net the broc? We get those white butterflies, so have to protect the plants not only from the white cabbage moth but also Sulphur Crested Cockatoos. Damn cockies like to nip the centre out of the carrots when they are about 6 weeks old. :eek:
    If you are after seeds, ebay have resonable prices; I thought they would have been a bit expensive but not too bad. I was down the nursery the other day, the lady says, some guy came in and purchased 30 packets of cabbage seed.
    If you get stuck for seed, I might be able to get some from the shop for you if you have to travel distance; let me know if you do.
    Cheers

metalzzz likes this.
  10. metalzzz

I haven’t really had a vege garden for about 5 years since I moved house. Didn’t need to net anything last time but I’ll see how it goes. I did pick up a couple of nets from the dollar store with the expectation that the bird life will be savage seeing as there’s no human food around. We’ll see if I’m right!
    People must me going stupid with the seeds you know. One packet is enough for endless crops if you collect the seeds each harvest. already collected the equivalent of 3-5 shop packets of basil seeds from one plant i let go to seed.
    Thank You for the offer too, I’ll double check to make sure I have everything I need. I might take you up on a second pair of eyes in the shops if I think of anything

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Holdfast likes this.
  11. Holdfast

I just checked the Yates on line shop they said this:
    "SORRY, WE ARE SOLD OUT DUE TO UNPRECEDENTED DEMAND, WE WILL BE BACK SOON." :eek:
    https://shop.yates.com.au/

Those basil seeds; yes, millions of seeds, same goes for Cos lettuce and Radicchio :)

metalzzz likes this.
  12. Holdfast

Maybe we should start selling seed? Perhaps 100 seeds for a silver shilling or sixpence.

66rounds and metalzzz like this.
  13. metalzzz

Seed stackers sub forum
    You know shit is about to get wild when the seeds sell out, F me
    On that note, I am keeping all cans for the recycling and running them through the dishwasher to keep for seedlings. Might be able to barter or sell a few in the months ahead

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Oddjob, 66rounds and Holdfast like this.
  14. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Today I stockpiled chewing gum. I chew a lot when I am stressed.

metalzzz likes this.
  15. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks like Bunnings is seeing increased demand for seeds too.......

For the none veggie patch person out there who is thinking of doing a little veg growing at home to maybe fill in some supply gaps or just want to eat some tasty and fresh veg have a look at old mate from QLD who has a Youtube channel. He keeps it simple and easy to follow. A bit corny sometimes but alot of info for novices.

https://www.youtube.com/user/markyv69

Holdfast and metalzzz like this.
  16. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't eat vegetables and needed to get them in my diet. I made up the following drink that is a home run in my books to get some nutrients into you, here's the list:

1 cup of kale
    2x celery sticks
    1 large cucumber or 2x small
    2x pears
    1/2 cup of mint leaves
    1/2 cup of basil leaves
    2cm3 of ginger root
    1/2 cup of frozen mango pieces
    2x table spoon of chia seeds

+ Water or apple juice ( I prefer apple juice ).

It is actually delicious! + You can add whatever you want.

I have been blending this mix up and putting it into icecube trays to freeze. I just put the cubes into the blender with Apple juice and I have a healthy and delicious way to get this stuff into my system. I would encourage anyone to give it a try.

XB and metalzzz like this.
  17. metalzzz

Don’t mind his videos actually. Very informative, didn’t realise he was in qld.
    Learnt in one of his videos about saving the bottoms of store bought celery and planting it! Never knew to do that

18. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Never understood the home veggie garden thing as a serious prepper thing. How big does it actually need to be before you could meet basic daily needs on an ongoing survival basis?

19. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Depends what you are growing. a 4 x 2 foot bed of carrots / potatoes which can be stage planted (plant some each week) could give you weeks of veg. Same with beetroot, greens, beans and other winter crops...of course depending of how many in the family. It's a tad more productive over summer when you can grow tomatoes and corn but with a several decent size raised beds we harvest enough veg (with others growing) not to have to buy at supermarket. If we had some chooks, then one could live out of the backyard patch if they had too. Add some fruit trees / berry bushes / vines along the fence and there's a basic diet.

And to be fair, it's not just a prepper thing. Fresh veg from the veg patch tastes damn better than chain store bought produce.

lucky luke, Holdfast and metalzzz like this.
  20. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

this is when people realize that growing your own veges isn't as easy as planting seeds and watering them. each crop has it's own nutritional, water, seasonal and pest control requirements.

then if SHTF your problem will be security. two legged pests that steal what you have grown.

Oddjob likes this.