2020 Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Dec 8, 2019.

1. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Would it be right to expect prices for a lot of fruit and other produce to go through the roof over the next 2 years?
    I was looking at bananas this morning while drinking my coffee and it occurred to me much of this stuff is picked by hand and if travel is cut and people are sick or contained to avoid sickness then the labour available will be very very scarce.
    WE have kiwifruit harvest coming up in NZ in the next couple of months and i am not sure what the actual numbers are but we IMPORT large numbers of workers to do this job.
    If the workers are not there to pick the fruit then the roll on effect is less fruit and higher prices right?
    There are so many things that the average Joe/Jane just has not even a basic understanding of when supply chains break or get disrupted.
    No bread at our supers in the morning unless you line up at the door before they open.
    One of our biggest supermarket chains (countdown) has a LIMIT of just 2 items the same for each shop ,they exclude baby food and allow you to get 6 the same in that category.
    I am so glad my kids are not babies anymore because being limited on the food i could buy for them would drive me crazier.

2. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Aust produces more food than our population requires, normally exporting to other Countries. Sheep and beef may be in short supply as stock numbers were reduced due to the drought, but we won't starve.

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

If the Aussie $ drops further I'd expect domestic food prices to rise as local producers take the opportunity to export goods. If I can get USD10 for a whole rump on the export market when the AUD was ay USD0.63, I can now make even more money with the AUD at USD0.58 even if their production costs increase. I reckon LPG will be the same. What do others think?

Foreign demand for Australian seafood is one of the main reasons we have to import seafood to meet domestic demand. It's a crazy notion I know. And the RBA et al do nothing to dispel it by focussing on terms of trade.

sterling-nz and Silver260 like this.
  4. Eureka Moments

Went to a Bakery that didn't have a supermarket attached to it this morning 6.30am. Enough bread to feed an army.

Over to supermarket @7am. Been opening 8am through the week so hoped most people didn't realise it's 7am Sat & Sun. This proved correct and I was able to leave my jousting stick in the car as maintaining social distance no problem.

Plenty of groceries but most full priced and limits on milk, hand sanitizer, pasta, cereal, frozen chips, dunny rolls, paper towels and tissues. Bought allowable amounts of each.

Handy hints are when only allowed 2 of a type of item go for largest/best value if you can. Woolies have 3x 228 boxes of tissues in a plastic sleeve which counts as one "item" of tissues...Curcumvents being limited to 2 boxes only. Paper towels 3 rolls for $2.95 or 2 for $2.70. I got the 2 pack cos it had 180 sheets per roll, the 3 packs had 95 sheets per roll. 33% more emergency arsewipes for 25 cents less. 2x 3litre milks but a loophole allowed me to grab 2x 1litre long life as well, not classed same as fresh milk but 250ml cartons of "Up and Go" are??

Biggest tip for you all is some of the little wipes you can buy for cleaning eyeglasses list isopropyl alcohol as primary ingredient. I got a 60pkt for use either cleaning hands when no soap or sanitizer around or wiping surfaces that may have live viruses upon them if I need to. Several boxes on the shelf so the punters haven't sussed them out yet. Chemists also sell them, and likely newsagents and other outlets. Priced at $0.16 each is a bargain that may one day save my life.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    sterling-nz likes this.
  5. Eureka Moments

Hey Shiney, you might be able to help me out with an answer to a couple of vexing questions.

What exactly is in a seafood or crayfish "stick"?, and do we import them or inflict them on other parts of the world?

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  6. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

search crab sticks :)

7. Silver260

Silver260 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lol. Reminds me of a character I knew many years ago, that regularly made seafood extender soup...... And yes, it tasted as bad as it sounds.

8. Eureka Moments

EXTENDER is yet another name attached to this mystery substance. Could it be made of fish lips and arses?

mmm....shiney! and Silver260 like this.
  9. Eureka Moments

No they're different, my ex used to ride one.

Silver260 likes this.
  10. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

China coming back online, Hopefully this will help thing out a bit.

those yanks certainly dont like competition.
    It will be a hard sell to the public saying low oil prices and cheaper fuel is bad. lol

Holdfast likes this.
  11. sterling-nz

I do not understand why Aus does not use more LPG if you produce it.
    I assume you produce it because i have seen it mentioned here many times before, and i think CJ said he has a car running on LPG.
    I hope this all serves as a very valuable lesson to governments to be prepared instead of just saying they are.
    Shit my govt does not even have enough masks for a pandemic and they WERE super cheap and have no expiration date if stored well.
    Its all well and good having cheap oil but it might not result in lowered gas prices if truck drivers need to be paid extra and a lot of contractors need called into cover holes left by sick or confined people .

12. Eureka Moments

Aust army are working in a facemask factory to increase production.

Not sure how many Countries had enough facemasks in their National 1st Aid Kit for everybody. Few or less?

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A couple of posts ago, folk were talking about meat.
    Ok, so, I'm aware that the forum is not allowed to discuss bang sticks, so lets talk about how to procure bulk cheap organic meat.
    A few folk who have a licence could really help others by harvesting feral organic game meat.
    For example, a few blokes, could easily harvest Sambar Deer which is an introduced "Game" animal that can be legally harvested.
    Many, so called, Deer hunters, hunt for the glory of a set of antlers (Many don't) but most are more than happy to harvest a few animals per year for the table.
    If folk have a firearm licence, they may want to investigate how to go about hunting Deer; you would be doing the country a favour by harvesting meat for the table and reducing a few head so that our native animals have less competition and you would also be helping out our farmers because wild / feral deer are not wanted, they cause damage and eat food that cattle and sheep could eat.

Guys, please consider that we don't talk about guns, rifles, firearms, ammo etc on this forum, so please don't quote my post or comment on the post as my intentions are just a mind jogger for some who may want to diversify into getting good quality meat.

Mods, please delete this post if you think it is in-appropriate for the forum.
    Members, if you need some tips of how to go about legally harvesting game meat, you could PM me.
    H

14. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

In the plentiful section:
    Canned pineapple probably has a good amount of vitamin C - best to check. The natural raw pineapple is very high, amongst the highest of all common fruits if not the highest.

Nuts are one of the best long life low weight energy dense natural foods possible.

Regular beer goes off in a year (if it survives that long), whereas strong liquor lasts for decades or even longer (at least this is the case for whisky, I don’t know about vodka or slivovitz ie what is in Eastern Europe).

madaw1 and sterling-nz like this.
  15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

No idea, they were on our “Refuse to sell” list. ;)

16. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mostly starch and fish bums.

66rounds and minimilled like this.
  17. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just bought a pineapple, they are cheap here, $2 SGD for a big one from Malaysia. The most important part of the pineapple is actually the core, which has bromelain, a powerful anti-inflammatory and good for people with arthritis and cardiac issues. The canned pineapple removes the core so what you have is only the pulp.

An unriped pineapple can be kept without refrigeration for up to 3 weeks even in tropical climate. In cold weather, probably more than a month.

sterling-nz and minimilled like this.
  18. sterling-nz

In our temperate NZ climate down south here i have had pineapples sitting on the bench for weeks and it has stay good to eat.
    It is a pity so much good stuff is in the core because i really hate that bit of the fruit because of how fibrous it is and never eat any of it if i can help it.

19. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

The nicest ones I’ve had in Queensland are from around Rockhampton, Yeppoon. Small and sweet. The key issue is to smell the bottom of the pineapple. If it smells strongly of pineapple you win, as far as flavour goes. As far as everything else, who knows.

20. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The trick is to cut off half a cm away. Cut the pineapple into quarters vertically, then cut off just half a cm of the core for each of the 4 quarters. The core is only the toughest at the centre.

sterling-nz likes this.