Has anyone on SS backed up the truck?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by STKR, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, that's one of the things that puts many folk off, the documentation process.
    The postage is very expensive, it's normally sent to the East coast via Toll Priority; the fee is about 17.50AUD per kilogram so, say you purchased 250 coins, you'd expect to pay about 135 - 140 bucks something like that and if you add insurance it's even more costly.
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Delivery-Options.aspx

2. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

17.50 AUD is cheap compared to 61.25 AUD to send a kilobar to Singapore using Express. And with the risk of lost packages on the Singapore side.

Holdfast likes this.
  3. sgbuyer

Actually, I'm not so sure that gold will be the best performer given the very high GSR. I know GSR doesn't mean anything. I personally don't care about GSR and don't believe in trading the GSR - exchange gold for silver - because I think gold is a hedge for the volatility of silver, but a high GSR means gold may have more room to fall than silver if the stock market dumps again.

Gold is good during the Iranian crisis and when the stock market is doing well - I was buying a lot of gold in Dec and Jan. But the situation has changed 180 degrees, and we're now in a SHTF scenario and the most popular items now are toilet paper and paper masks. Not gold and silver! When people have gotten enough paper masks and toilet paper, they will want a couple of silver bricks. Of course the rich will get their gold bricks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    minimilled likes this.
  4. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

People still don’t even know what silver is or what money is haha

Karoi, Ivykoin and Holdfast like this.
  5. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think about Italy today 47000 cases. In 16 days with a doubling every 4 days (probable) they will have 750,000 cases.

Australia is about 2 weeks behind Italy.

Think banks shutting down ATM's, No shops but supermarkets, pharmacies, petrol stations open. No economy.

Who is it that will be buying Gold and Silver at these times. There will be some but there will be many many people desperate for cash - ANY CASH.

It is likely that many things will be available at prices you can never have imagined. Think 10% of their normal value.

Unless some form of interim medicine that can substantially moderate the effects of the virus we have a quite dire scenario in front of us. People have talked about a depression. It wont be like the great depression as we are so urbanised now.

So backing up the truck for PM's at this time is way too premature. I hope I am wrong and those that have bought make some really big money. I wont be one of those just yet.

6. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Could it get bad enough that the grid fails?
    Would they all continue working?
    What would happen when the water stops and the power goes out?
    No more gas, no more heat. No more fridge or stove?

7. Holdfast

Johnny, more likely, the internet would drop or slow down.
    Too much traffic when everyone is at home.
    H

minimilled and JohnnyBravo300 like this.
  8. openeyes

Water and energy are considered essential services so there are defined plans for emergencies for these. There maybe isolated outages to electricity or gas. Water systems a pretty resilient. The army would be called in to maintain these services.

Possible but not likely. Having said that I tell all my family and friends to have at least 100l of water on hand. It is cheap and easy to store in 10l containers. Water is your most important resource after air.

Holdfast likes this.
  9. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Haha I could see that!

10. openeyes

I didn't mention about places that get substantially cold. In these situations you have to be prepared to supply your own heat. Wood stove or something that you can both collect of store enough energy until the winter is over. If you cant then you are living on the edge.

Your right about freezers as a lot of people rely on these for food storage. Here I recommend you get a high quality cool box that can store frozen things for about 7 days and up to 10 days if keep in the right position. If you have the possibility of power being out longer than seven days you should have a backup generator or food that does not require refrigeration.

Holdfast likes this.
  11. Holdfast

Also, folk can buy vegetables that store well.
    For example, beetroot is a highly nutritious food, it will store well in moist cool sand in the dark. Just cut 50mm of the green top off, don't wash the roots, just put them in the moist river sand in layers, keep about 100mm of sand over the top.
    Spuds will keep reasonably well, if you buy the un-washed ones, keep them in a dark airy place. Spuds are good, because they contain vitamin C, starch and other goodies.
    As an aside, think about growing some herbs for their Vitamin C content. Parsley has a huge amount of vitamin C as does many of the other common kitchen herbs.

Pendragon and minimilled like this.
  12. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

I’ve read vitamin C in spuds is killed by cooking
    You’d want to try one or two raw in the blender
    My guess is people don’t eat raw spuds due to the effect. It’s probably a great laxative.

Holdfast likes this.
  13. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

If you are in an area with a cold winter and you have the option of wood, the best time to get the wood is towards the end of summer, because it is dry and wet wood is inefficient and therefore wasteful.

However, the next best time is right now, because unless you have acreage and have already clearfelled and seasoned some, you will face the prospect of diminished supply this year due to illness. Also, this is yet one more opportunity for transmission.

Holdfast likes this.
  14. Holdfast

Cheers, yes, the C is destroyed by heat and water.
    Any suggestions of how to retain the vitamin C content? Raw spud = Pass :) Having said that, years ago I was served, so called cooked spuds, they were like "super-balls" (Bouncy). Some of my stews have had bouncy spuds :(

15. gotlucky

gotlucky New Member

Yes, backed up the mazda to the Perth Mint on 12th March for a substantial gold and lesser silver purchase, fortunately I'm of that age bracket (in Oz) where I can w/d from my super w/o tax implications, the day after everything dropped like the proverbial, both G & S also the AUD thankfully (oo-er missus). Today on my purchase I'm only AUD145 down, gold well up due to AUD down, but silver is minus AUD400 approx. :-(. My 1st silver bullion buy was in 2008 @ 28:36 p/oz so in 12 yrs silver is on a loser. (Me that is). Apologies, just my 2c input.

Silver260 and Holdfast like this.
  16. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

as usual moving along 10oz silver a month, but last drop was 66 oz of QB coins...on diet again for the next 6 months

Holdfast likes this.
  17. sgbuyer

Read some videos about Silver miners may go bankrupt if silver prices remain low! :eek: Dumped my AG and bought GDXJ instead. Still vested in PAAS. Will DCA GDXJ moving forward.

I can withstand 50% drop in price, don't mind waiting, but bankrupt is a big NO NO!

18. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

bandits usually take the ore from miners, by setting their road blocks and armed,
    they are stealing/robbing the dirt
    hence the low grade

19. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Precisely.
    And they mails that their suppliers have increased the premium and that they have to increase theirs too. And long delivery times due to restrictions of governments using a virus as excuse.
    In short, the same old story only the excuses differ.
    Also, when the silver price bounces back, it will be due to them.
    Because that's what they do, replenish their stock cheap, hedge it along futures that drive the price up but later on cancelled alike fake orders, to then try to sell high with the argument silver price is rising... .... due to them.... past.... afterwards....

20. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've noticed ABC Bullion no longer lists Eagles, Kangaroos, koalas, kooks, maples or Krugerrands. They appear to only list their own products and what's left of their high premium stock.