WTS - 2009 1kg Silver Kookaburra Coin (Auction)

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by willrocks, Mar 11, 2020.

1. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just kidding WET SALMON!!!

2. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

Dear all,
    I apologise for the commotion I have caused here. I have seen that the highest bidder has retracted his bid (I was outbid already), and given that there are no rules stated in the OPs text and I am new here, I assumed this is the way things go here. I didn't start the retracting, and I wasn't the highest bidder at the time. I will never retract a bid again as I understand the rules now and apologise for misunderstanding. I should not have retracted my bid as I was outbid anyways. If your comments had come earlier after the first retractor I would not have retracted my bid as there would have been no reason for it - I am out of the bid already. As it looked for me at the time, the highest bidder just posts 'retracted' and then I am f'ed if I don't follow suit quickly.

I hope you can understand my reaction, which is different from the highest bidder who retracted. I panicked as I was happy initially to have been outbid and then I see someone being able to retract, and I am the sod who has to pay up then.

Please accept my apologies.

XB, MoreSilver, Skyrocket and 9 others like this.
  3. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

4. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

he does have a point if he was outbid and then some one dumped the bid on him by retracting it, thats pretty shit.

XB, Argentumiser, Silver260 and 3 others like this.
  5. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agreed, if i was to put a bid in and then be outbid on an item i would consider that i no longer had any obligation unless i bid again and became the highest bidder on that item

In my mind its the highest bidder who has demonstrated poor form here, there have been plenty of times i have buzzed or bid on an auction before a price drop or dip in spot but not once have i pulled out.

Your word is your bond, especially on here and if a couple of hundred dollars is all it takes for someone to act this way i would be wary in conducting any future trades with the individual let alone transactions of large value

XB, Bullion Stax, kilo and 2 others like this.
  6. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I do respect someone who can own up to their mistakes and you appear to understand the standards will all expect here to be in good standing.

It has been good to have members clearly state their expectations with these matters and hopefully in Future this will inform others.

7. hotchef

hotchef Active Member

^^ fair enough owning ur mistake, but withdrawing a bid due to spot falling= poor form= I wouldn't want to trade! Btw the 50 oz was a cracker bar!!

8. C.H.

C.H. Active Member Silver Stacker

I for one don't accept your apology.
    You only apologising, because you're not the highest bidder right now, so don't have to honor anything.

Imagine If I didn't bid - would you honor your bid and buy?

Anyway - I'm a man of my word and will buy this Kook.

P.S. if I were a moderator I would ban people retracting bids or not paying after buzzing etc. from the forum.

Argentumiser likes this.
  9. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

It is your prerogative to not accept my apology, but I am not okay with being accused of making up something because I have nothing to lose. Of course would I honour the bid - because I would have never even known (falsely) that retracting a bid is a thing. Please don't unleash the anger over Joelcorp on me - he is the one who should get the blame, and it shouldn't be you who has to cough up for it. I have stood by several deals where I actually made a loss vs spot at the day of settlement, just yesterday and actually from the same OP. I have a perfect record of doing a lot of deals here on the platform, and paying fully up to what was agreed. So I would never have retracted the bid because it wouldn't have come to my mind. Instead of panicking I should have checked whether retracting is a thing here, and I didn't see that the 'new member' (Joelcorp) who retracted obviously wasn't one who knows about the rules. In my imagination at the time the next one would have been you to retract and then I am the one who is f'ed if I don't retract before the end of the action.

MoreSilver and Krakked789 like this.
  10. clear

clear Well-Known Member

CH as a pretend moderator and before you start banning members shouldn't you ask yourself the question " did Dundee win the auction "?

ozcopper likes this.
  11. C.H.

No he didn't, but he was fast to "retract" his bid when he thought he won it.

12. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

That’s leftist thinking

He was outbid, by you “just to participate (lol)” then you were outbid.

Then people shat themselves, probably having never seen this before in silver, maybe elsewhere too.

You can’t admonish this guy for retracting a bid that was extinguished by yours. There’s no case to answer.

It is funny tho!

kilo likes this.
  13. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

You were also outbid and while it is your decision to buy, you were under no obligation having been outbid. There is no rule to say if a bidder outbids you and then welches on their bid, over to you sonny, the bag is all yours!

14. C.H.

So judging by the posts and "likes" by the moderators nobody got any obligations at all? - Beautiful.

15. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

It’s an auction
    The only person that genuinely did have an obligation was the highest bidder
    (Also the OP)

The highest bidder did a runner.

Nuff said.

You decided to buy it after all - it is a nice piece. Even iconic. But you weren’t placed in that situation.

XB, Silverling and Boyscout like this.
  16. Krakked789

Krakked789 Well-Known Member

Does it say in the rules that if the highest bidder retracts their bid then the second highest bidder has won the auction? That would be a pretty stupid auction IMO.

17. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If it was my auction and the winning bidder went AWOL or retracted their bid i would give the runner up the choice of taking the item at their bid amount but they most certainly would not have any obligation as far as i was concerned

Jason1, XB, Silver260 and 14 others like this.
  18. 316ag

316ag Active Member

$850’s not to bad. It’s a beautiful coin.
    1kg Kooks are 801 plus postage at dealers. The 2009 design is one of my favourites. I’m sure it won’t be long when you’ll be even or better.
    Purchasing silver for a quick gain in fiat currency is a mugs game.
    Last week a stacker paid $85 plus $15 postage for 1 oz of silver.
    It’s all relative.

XB, minimilled and Silverling like this.
  19. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

That’s my thinking. It’s a good buy and hold. Not the best timing. Obviously poor form from the highest bidder.

The only think I would have done differently is discretely approach the OP and see what could be done, rather than make it a dog and pony show.

316ag and Krakked789 like this.
  20. Krakked789

Krakked789 Well-Known Member

I agree. 2nd bidder could have handled it better. Oh well, we all make mistakes.

minimilled likes this.