Opinions on best silver and gold foundational coins/bars: Australia

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ArgentumGent, Mar 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ArgentumGent

ArgentumGent New Member

Hi all,

I'm a new stacker and have been watching a lot of different stacker channels on youtube such as Shadow Stack, and Silver Dragons that recommend local gov bullion as (eg. silver/gold eagles, britannias, etc.) as the best form of bullion for stacking long term due to high liquidity, high recognisability, low chance of faking, and reasonable premiums. I've been assuming this strategy is equally valid for Australia and started stacking perth mint, silver kangaroos, and am eyeing up the gold kangaroos in the 1/10, 1/4 and 1 ounce range, as well as silver 10oz bars. My current aim is to build up a stack of these, before diversifying (eg. other gov bullion, larger bars, junk silver, numismatics) once I understand the game better. My question to you is, what are your favourite go-to, bread-and-butter silver and gold coins/bars for stacking in Australia and at what sizes?

2. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

with silver just save your self the heart ache and buy cast bars like 10 ounce to 1kg. they are cheaper and easy to sell. coins are crap investments in most cases.
    just buy dirty old bars, forget the new stuff

SilverDJ and jultorsk like this.
  3. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My favourite Australian fractional gold coin is the $200 Koalas
    Low premiums and you are less likely to get a fake.

66rounds, GF, SilverDJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. mattyman174

mattyman174 Active Member

Personally.

I am aiming for a tube each of Eagles, Kangaroos, Maples, Krugerrands and Britannias.

Anything else is 10 Ounce Silver bars or greater.

Gold is simple, i either get 5g or 10g Perth Mint bars depending on what my budget can sneak in at the time i buy Silver.

5. slavaja

slavaja Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With silver I like to get close to spot. So 1kg bars and pre decimal silver because you can get them for under spot

Gold I like low premium so bullion grade sovereigns, $200 coins and 1oz cast bars

6. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

This.
    Coins are just a lottery, and are harder to offload for a decent premium.
    Sure, buy a few coins to fondle, but the bulk of your stack should be low premium silver in whatever form you can get it, because if you go to sell it you are only going to get spot for it anyway.

Jason1 likes this.
  7. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Yep, agreed, I'm a big fan of the $200 koala's, super low premium, and I've yet to see a fake.

Aurora et luna likes this.
  8. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I use to dislike low premium 100oz bars because shipping was expensive!
    However now that it can be shipped in 500 g satchels, I am quite happy stacking it again

66rounds and Silverling like this.
  9. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

As you can see there are a variety of views, to suit different tastes. Each to their own.

I think now is an interesting time because of volatility. We’ve dropped from a recent high of around $28 AUD to around $21 in short order, with a bounce off $19. I might be wrong for saying this, but I think the risk is now lower for silver as an entry point, but a mercenary view would be right now to stick to your guns, keep your powder dry and wait for the real leg down when the hospitals are overwhelmed. This would be the equivalent of the “blood in the streets” moment in times of yore. The modern version is people dropping dead in the streets outside the hospital or after being turned away. Chinese people literally walked kilometres to the nearest hospital only to be turned back. If we get that, silver may be rooted. This is the time to buy.

However, most likely you will not get much at that point of if you do, it will not be around for long on the secondary market if at all. I would buy low premium items from a big dealer at that point to begin a stack and be prepared to wait months for your order.

Personally, as this is also a bit of a hobby, more recently I like to mostly buy coins of all kinds, mostly low premium, quite a lot of seminumismatic and some numi. (It’s going to be a long time between drinks for this option now)

The reason for coin stacking is mainly because when I retire if I get there in the future, I’d like to do what many an old coot does now and sell them as a pastime on the weekend at horrendous premiums. Failing that, they will be passed on as inheritance.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    kilo likes this.
  10. forgedinfire

forgedinfire Member

I just hate the idea of having to keep my stuff in those security packages. I think for that reason I'm going to stick to coins because I like metal things, the feel, the sound and weight in hand.

Anyone else feel the same way?

*Edit* Part of my issue is I like a large degree of uniformity and reaching a milestone of a certain amount of something.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  11. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

when I started stacking I was lucky to have an early trade with 3161Fergo. Over a coffee he told me this in relation to what to buy...."it does not matter, get whatever you can, as cheep as you can. Accumulate and then flip what you don't love for what you love"
    This is still my guide.

Silverling, 66rounds and forgedinfire like this.
  12. ArgentumGent

ArgentumGent New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, and greatly appreciated wisdom. I'm definitely considering moving in the direction of keeping the premiums down especially seeing how amongst this community there's demand for the less pretty stuff, and since in time I'll be able to squeeze in more gold with the difference.

GF likes this.