March 2020 - is this the best time to stack silver? Or gold? your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmurasoli, Feb 27, 2020.

1. mmurasoli

mmurasoli Member

G'day

Given the global situation, wondering if it is the best time to buy Silver/Gold? What are you thoughts?

I recently bought a 100oz from a silver stacker member and I am thinking of buying more gradually.

I am new here, if i posted in the wrong place please direct me to the right forum, thanks in advance.

2. slavaja

slavaja Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's hard to say. Gold is trading at all time highs in aud but the Corona virus is just getting started. Gold isn't trading at all time highs in USD though.

mmurasoli likes this.
  3. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

Historically silver is typically down In march, so likely be a good time to buy, I usually start buying in March into April. then typically rises again, then next good buying time Historically is Late November mid December then takes off again late December upto march.
    Silver is pretty predictable like that, just look at previous years and its fairly consistent on what months dip and what months rise.

openeyes, sgbuyer and mmurasoli like this.
  4. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

In truth, nobody will know except in hindsight.

For gold, you are buying what the banks buy. Look at the graph of gold in the last 20 years. It is a winner. It is still going up but did stagnate for a period of years. You have to take that into account when buying and whether you are someone who can just buy it, put it aside and watch the paint dry.

For silver, a more volatile metal play, you are buying a demonetised metal trading mostly as an industrial commodity, currently weighted in the solar and electrical manufacturing, which also has a dying boomer investment cohort who remembered it as money back in the 50s and early 60s, shilled it a decade ago, as well as a bunch of GenXers who swallowed the line. While it has held a status as a “precious metal” it is barely that in reality.

But, it also has potential to trade again as a precious metal due to its history as a monetary metal, a history of wild fluctuation in price, as well as mostly being a byproduct, with some major primary silver mines coming to the end of their lives at this price anyway. There is no clear sense to me how enthusiasm might arise again other than through a widespread adoption in China, India, maybe Africa. I don’t see demand of the kind we want generated in Anglo-European countries or western allies in Asia, though that may depend on the product and what happens in the digital token world.

If governments clamp down on gold either directly or indirectly through taxation, silver should benefit.

An interesting thing - when you look at nominal inflation in price of a US silver dollar in the early 20th century and melt value now, I’ve seen calculations where the real value is similar back then and now (a dollar then = melt value of about $14 USD now)

You have a 100oz bar which is nice to own. Early on I bought mostly bars and Perth Mint. It’s a good foundation.

madaw1, 66rounds, sgbuyer and 2 others like this.
  5. minimilled

minimilled Active Member

From an AUD perspective, what has happened in the last few years is a steady deterioration in the AUD vs the USD and in the last year a steady rise in the POG vs both currencies. This has so far performed well for gold holders in Australia. There is no sign of trend abatement.

Indeed the trend is set to intensify as the demand for Australian exports in Asia falls with the virus spook. That weighs down on the AUD.

Silver is a different story. I’m thinking the price may be volatile from here for a bit, followed by a lift from the POG as things get more spooky.

66rounds and mmurasoli like this.
  6. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I’ll hold back on silver as it is no longer cheap. Unlike others, I don’t measure silver in terms of GSR, I don’t care how much the price of gold is but rather the price over the cost of production for silver is what matters to me. Production cost is around $10-$17 per ounce for most miners.

On the other hand, I’m still bullish on gold and think that due to safe haven bid, the price will reach $1800 sometime this year. However, a pullback to $1500 is still possible, so buy with caution.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    mmurasoli and openeyes like this.
  7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

if there is 2-3 weeks drop in prices, that would be best time to buy, provided they are available metals to get

mmurasoli, 66rounds and sgbuyer like this.
  8. sgbuyer

BS has random 10 oz bars at spot price promotion, moving slowly. Not a bad price if don’t mind the condition.

mmurasoli likes this.
  9. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

its still more expensive than my coins, may be have to skip and pick up some premium bars

mmurasoli and sgbuyer like this.
  10. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The cat is out of the bag now and the real shape of the "strongest economy in history" is becoming apparent to more people as more wake up to the truth.

Chances are we wont see much lower prices with inflation kicking in now.
    Someone has some splaining to do!!!

mmurasoli, 66rounds and sgbuyer like this.
  11. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Anytime is the best time to buy gold.

12. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

BUY BUY BUY!!!!

PS - We had threads like this in the past.. and those are kicking themselves cause they didn't jump-in earlier in 'gold-train' express

13. sgbuyer

I increased my gold holdings substantially in Dec-Jan. It remains to be seen whether gold is better than SGD over the next few months.

STKR and mmurasoli like this.
  14. pennys

pennys Member

I think Ag and Pt are about to go on sale. Au may be a bit later depending on 2008 memory.

mmurasoli and sgbuyer like this.
  15. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Yes, the FED have some splaining to do, because they are Independent of the Government, & are not a FEDERAL AGENCY, but a ROGUE bunch of BANKSTERS who were appointed late in 1913 whilst the CONgress was getting ready for the holiday season. ENJOY

mmurasoli and madaw1 like this.
  16. sgbuyer

I just look at pt and pd, the price differential is coming close to $2k!

This is unthinkable only 2 months ago. It looks like pd is heading to $3000-$5000 while pt is heading to $650-$800.

17. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agreed. If you think about 2008 there was a drop from about $22.50 to $13. That would see us dropping to about $16. That’s $16AUD. So going by historical trends and economics there is some possibility we might head down there. I would be buying from $20.

Long term (I.e. more than 10 years) it should be a gradual purchase plan across that timeframe.

If you are buying today and selling next year you need professional advice in my opinion.

18. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Strongest economy ever in world history and fastest biggest point drop in market history hahaha.
    KAGA!

mmurasoli likes this.
  19. mmurasoli

mmurasoli Member

thanks everyone for your thoughts and responses. I just noticed there was a big drop to Gold and silver. Will the prices go down even further?

20. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Better to acquire your stacking ounce goal months to years early then one day too late.

sgbuyer and 66rounds like this.