What was the best price you got physical silver at?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilverDJ, Nov 8, 2019.

1. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My cheapest is a kilobar from secondary market for sgd650 in nov 18. I bought a batch of 10 ounces from the dealer for sgd210 each back in oct 18. I only bought 10 pieces and this was one of my big regrets for buying so little when the price was low. Again freaked out when prices collapsed.

Then bought another batch of 5 ounces from dealer also for sgd112 in Mar 19. Most recent cheapest buy was 10 ounces for sgd230 each in early July. This was from the secondary market.

My dragon and griffin qb are bought at around sgd240 each, while not cheap are certainly profitable as resale is much more since they have semi numismatic value.

My cheapest lunar was a goat kilo coin for sgd720 bought in Jan 19.

2. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

This is the proof that when we are stacking we'll be rewarded in the future-sooner or later -who knows,but we'll for sure!:) KEEP STACKING!!!

wones, 66rounds and ozcopper like this.
  3. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

My grand father used to give me crowns that I still have today when I was young. When decimal currency was introduced he had the fore site to encourage me to collect those as well. I believe that some of that older generation that lived through the depression had the understanding of the differences between money and currency.

So I have quite a few coins collected at face value.

66rounds likes this.
  4. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

used to buy Silver bars for $7 an ounce in the early 2000's when I started stacking, I think 90% of my stack was bought under $10 an ounce when I sold up at $38 an ounce in 2011.

That was the best time tobe stacking,I was very lucky as to when I fell into stacking timing wise.

I remember being on that Yahoo auction site that was around before ebay and seeing a one ounce 999 silver bar for sale with a starting bid of 99cents, I Thought that was cool, I won the bid for about $7 with postage.
    There was no other reason for me buying it other than i thought it was cool, then it arrived I got addicted and just started buying silver each pay day lol, ahaha, silver was so cheap in those days and you could get allot of it really quickly with out spending much money. every one used to question why I would buy silver. I got rewarded big time in 2011.
    I really miss those days.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    66rounds likes this.
  5. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

The best price I got my 1 ounce of SILVER at was 31.1034768 grams,
    The best price I got my 1 ounce of GOLD at was 31.1034768 grams,
    But, you knew I was going to say that, didn't you?
    *"Paper rots, MONEY DOES NOT". * R.I.P. Pat Fields (SilverDoctors commenter). _JLG.

6. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's more like 8% a year

7. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Compounded percentage is 8%. Percentage growth per year from initial investment is about 22%.

8. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Metal investments don't compound, it's one of the disadvantages of "investing" in metal.

9. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah but generally if you're talking about per year you should compound it - like real estate, hold a house for 20 years you should work out the year on year increase compounded too. Otherwise stick to *500% after 20 years (because average/year is misleading).

STKR likes this.
  10. SilverDJ

But both gold and silver have history of staying flat for 20+ years, just look at a 50year graph some time.
    Growth very much depends on the timing when you get in and out.

11. SilverDJ

No, you shouldn't talk in terms of compounding for investments that don't compound. Doing so makes no sense, and implies compounding action when no compounding action took place.

12. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any % gains priced in currency over a 20 year period are also illusionary without deducting the inflation % over that time.
    Real-estate is the worst culprit for misguided gains.

JulieW, ozcopper and jultorsk like this.
  13. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

That's correct mostly with the bars-with selected coins you can have even some gain in $ terms when the metal stays flat or go down.Is is hard to pick up those coins ,but with small mintage that's the way to go. Even when the gold drop to $ 1500 AUD you won't be able to buy for example 1/4oz au mouse 2008 for $600.

14. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I find silver in the coinstar machines once in awhile but that's free haha. People dont always check the reject tray. I have my wife check everytime she goes to Walmart and shes scored a few silver dimes and a 1958 quarter.

The owner of a rock shop that I was in awhile back told me a girl came in and bought a $35 windchime and she wanted to know if he would take these old rolls of quarters that her grandpa left her, all old silver coinage still in rolls! He said he was shaking as he packaged up the windchime for her!
    Talk about a real dumbass!

66rounds likes this.