Anyone refining from e-waste?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by GF, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Me too!

And you already have the gold for free, unfortunately recovering and refining it is anything but free.

I quite like the idea of refining it myself, I think it would be interesting, so the additional cost would not be enough to put me off, I pay for most of my hobbies. I don't mind spending hours 'researching' on YouTube, I just don't have the time to actually go through the entire process from start to finish.

GF likes this.
  2. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes...you are right about holding the gold already. I'm going to try and work out the difference between selling it as e-waste and production cost to get 999. Will see what happens.

Jislizard and 66rounds like this.
  3. sellmeyourbullion

sellmeyourbullion Active Member Silver Stacker

You're better off just accumulating e-waste in very large quantities and selling to a buyer. Using those profits to buy actual .999 gold. Whenever they have those hard rubbish collections in my area, i specifically go around looking for e-waste to add to my stack. So when i take it to the buyers its worth more in larger quantities.

GF and 66rounds like this.
  4. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Even stuff like old processors you might want to scrap can actually be worth serious money to vintage computers buffs, if you know the market that is.
    Buy and reselling stuff on ebay can actually be quite a profitable business if you know a particular niche market segment well.

GF and 66rounds like this.
  5. samuelbenjamin

samuelbenjamin New Member

Hello. I am wondering why no one has tried to start a larger scale business to recycle used electronics, with a focus on metal separation and purification. On one hand you have small scale recyclers like yourselves (no disrespect at all, you guys are doing amazing things) and the informal recyclers in Guiyu, China and New Delhi, India and on the other hand you have the giant metal refineries like Umicore and Boliden. I am wondering why no one is trying to attack the middle. Some posters seem to have stated refining of e-scrap only works well at a large scale. Aren't the many small-scale recyclers globally a testament to this not being true? I'd appreciate it if people could explain to me their thoughts on this matter and why refining is seen as only being economical on a Billion Dollar Refinery level. Any thoughts on how we can deal with the global exponentially increasing supply of e-waste when only a small percentage of it is actually recycled and often the giant refineries can't get their hands on everything or are just breaking even?