2018 low mintage Australian 10 cent & $1 coins

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Silverdigger85, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Silverdigger85

Silverdigger85 Member

Hey everyone!

I was looking at the half yearly RAM report for 2018 mintage figures & noticed that the 10 cent coin has the lowest mintage figures followed by the $1. I have been trying to find the 10 cent coins noodling but no luck so I'm guessing the 10 cent will be rare like the 2011 10 cent coin. I have found a few $1 coins but not a whole lot so what are your thoughts on these two coins, will they have low mintage figures once the RAM release the annual report in late October/early November or will they be a lot higher like over 2 million each minted?

2. Philski

Philski Member

Ive had a red hot crack at them. The 2018 10 cent is the hardest of the lot. If it stays at the low mintage figure in the last annual report 31000. It will be the rarest 10c minted for circulation. Rolls are going for over $40 at the moment. And, the 2019 10c is out already so fingers crossed they dont get the dies out for another run of the 2018 this year. There are 4 2018 rolls left online for sale with Melbourne mint (ebay) if anyone is interested. All online sellers are gone Australia wide.

3. Philski

Philski Member

Hi i hope you got a few of them. in the last 3 weeks the Australian 2018 10c is now trending at $160 with the highest price achieved $250 a roll. totally nuts prices for a modern coin.

66rounds likes this.
  4. The Gravy Train

The Gravy Train New Member

I doubt they will be ultra low. They were both available from the RAM coin swaps and people around Australia were lining up and loaded up on plenty of bags. If you listened to an interview on ABC radio, with RAM CEO Ross MacDiarmid back in April, he gave an indication on the final mintage figures, which would blow any theories out the window.
    The 2018 $1 MOR will be big. They were used to circulate the 2019 AUS coins and were also available by themselves in Mint bags at the pop up shows.
    Of course we’ll have to wait and see in October when the final run figures are released, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath, expect millions...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  5. Tin Can

Tin Can Active Member

RAM have published their 2018 coin mintage numbers. They made 2.6 million 10 cent coins. So not as rare as some were anticipating (paying $100 plus for a $4 roll), but still a smallish number for a circulating coin.

The Gravy Train and 66rounds like this.
  6. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Totally nuts paying that much over face value for cupro-nickel coin rolls!

7. The Gravy Train

8. The Gravy Train

Quite funny to see, the AUS coins that the media and RAM indicated would be a mintage of 1 million each, blew out to just over 1.5 million each in the report also :rolleyes:;)

66rounds likes this.