Bank Runs

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Oct 20, 2019.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Everyone will need a lot of toilet paper if things go tumbling down like in Venezuela.

Let's just hope that won't happen, but it will sure feel good knowing that you have enough TP stored away "just in case". :)

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

my point is people claim to stack gold for a shtf scenario or as discussed above when the "system" is down -- again in no universe will coles or the local servo take yiour 1/20 oz of gold as payment so your reasons for stacking are a logical fallacy

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buying supplies at retail shops in an emergency (hyperinflation for example) is not what gold or silver bullion is for. It's purpose in a state of emergency is to trade it for foreign currency, for bulk goods at the manufacturer or wholesaler level, medical treatment, buying a truck or to buy transport out of the country, bribes for travel documents and the like. Big ticket items.

In an emergency you don't trade gold for day to day goods with punters, you trade gold with people further up the chain that have the leverage to get you out of trouble.

4. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

"Sure there were counterfeiters, but there are paper counterfieters now too."

YEP, & Governments are the counterfeiters, (turning paper & digits into make-believe 'MONEY').

66rounds likes this.
  5. Court Jester

i would bet almost none of that would actually happen either -- maybe if there was hyper inflation -- maybe -- you could trade it (maybe)

but more likely IN THIS COUNTRY -- we will have network ourages and natural disasters i.e. floods / fires / cyclones -- cash is king gold and silver is as useless as a dog turd in these scenarios

6. Shaddam IV

Lets hope that we never get to find out who is correct.

7. Court Jester

What are you taking about we have had many natural disasters over he last decade here where you could not access your accounts and I can tell you trading gold was not the done thing

Cash was and is king

This has ALREADY been proven many times recebtky

8. Slimey

Slimey Well-Known Member

It is all about confidence. You won't trade something of value unless you are certain the item you receive can be traded further along a supply chain. The farmer won't take gold and silver for the wheat if he can't trade that silver and gold for the seed or the fuel for the tractor. Trading structures take time to develop. They only become accepted once the majority are confident in, and more importantly understand them. Very few people/companies have the necessary reserves of food/stock/fuel such that they could easily accept gold and silver until such a time is reached where the greater community has embraced their usage.

madaw1, Silver260 and JOHNLGALT like this.
  9. Shaddam IV

A natural disaster of the magnitude that we have in Australia (fires, cyclones) is not a SHTF situation. SHTF is a full scale social or societal breakdown or war or destruction of the electricity grid by a solar event.

openeyes and Oddjob like this.
  10. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Great post @Slimey

11. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

This is very well said!! Gold,silver ,other metals and some others products has only real value when can be accepted by the other party-if there are no buyers,the value is 0.

12. Shaddam IV

In a hyperflationary event cash is certainly not king.

In a technological crash or war state then it probably is.

leo25, Silver260 and Oddjob like this.
  13. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very true. Weimar Republic and various South American countries (inc Venezuela) over the years and Zimbabwe prove up this point re cash and hyperinflation.

Re a tech crash, today I was buying petrol . As I was filling up, the petrol station operator was effectively shutting up shop as the EFTPOS went down and they were a cash only sales. I had cash so no issues, but many cars pulled in and then drove away without fuel as a result. I saw one lady pay in $1 and $2 coins after raiding all parts of her car.

Thus, be prepared for all scenarios........with specific reference to keeping X $ in cash on hand for when power / IT fails........or the powers that be just close down the system leaving many people twisting in the wind.

leo25, TreasureHunter and Shaddam IV like this.
  14. TreasureHunter

^
    Yes, obviously cash is good to have in any crisis scenario, besides high- or hyperinflation. If it's not devaluing massively and if you have the possibility to use it,
    then go for it. And keep just a very small amount in your bank, the rest in banknotes.

Unless you're hyper-rich and have millions, no-one should keep more than 1,000-10,000 USD at a bank.

If you happen to have a lot of money, then perhaps investing in real estate/land (wisely, depending on market trends) is a good choice.
    Buying real estate right now is a tremendous risk. The bubble is inflated. But, you can still buy land or some small house. Just for a relaxing getaway/vacation nest.

Those of you who know how to sail a boat: buy a yacht! That too can be a great option for "bugging out". And, although pirates still exist, you can stay in "friendly waters". It might be the safest place if riots break out!

15. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Speaking of which:

How much do you feel is a prudent amount to have on hand, and what sort of denominations?

My position is around $2,200 on hand as last resort, being of 20x$50, and 1k of 50x$5, 25x$10, 25x$20 notes plus $200 of $1 and $2 coins. To date this piggy bank has been raided a few times a year for things like unanticipated expenses or purchases.

In terms of AU and AG, and major problem scenarios, a few sovereigns, plus some 1/10, 1/20and 1/4 x 0.9999 coins (PM and Maples) will have to do.

The above, I assume, will let me weather the sort of storm I can imagine. If not, I'll likely go down in the first wave! lol

16. TreasureHunter

Natural disasters can be devastating, still. Even if they're regional (geographically limited) could be regarded as "limited SHTF" events.
    Because they are indeed apocalyptic to the locals. These events pass quite fas, but the effects are life-ruining...

If you lose your home and your belongings (and if you bought them for credit it's even worse), then you might as well find yourself lost for the rest of your life.
    It's pretty much the effect of a "full SHTF" scenario. If you're a victim, it doesn't matter what it's called "by definition".

What's heavier? A 1 ton pillow or a 1 ton steel brick? Drop in on your foot and then you'll know!

The Katrina Hurricane was like an apocalypse to those affected by it. I'd be curious: how many managed to return to a "normal" life?

Just look at this: how the hell does a boat loaded with cars land on grasslands? (Cars apparently unaffected)

[​IMG]

17. TreasureHunter

If you want to have anything "physical" to survive a severe crisis/collapse, then my advice is:
    - calculate how much you need to survive for 1 year (at least) and have all of that at hand
    - priority is cash: even though PM's store value better, "if it hits the fan tomorrow", then you'll want to have cash first of all
    - leave a reserve of 10% or at least 1,000 $ for "unexpected expenses" (you will never have enough money)
    - try not buying a thing you don't need for a month and live according to an "emergency budget" (it will be very hard)

If it really happens, it will be a lot more different than we're imagining it. There will always be situations that you could not have prepared for.

18. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

just this month Hagibis

19. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

they don't always pass fast, some can drag on for years.........like a torture.

at the moment i'd take a flood over this F*&king drought. at least that would be over quickly so you can move on. drought like this one is akin to being drawn on a rack for 3 years with no end in sight. both might kill you but one is much slower and more painful with the added psychological effect from not knowing whether the torturers will actually kill you or how long it will continue for.

66rounds likes this.
  20. Court Jester

And in these scenarios gold will be evre more useless