Sigma Metalytics standard vs pro?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by fishduck, Oct 12, 2019.

1. fishduck

fishduck Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone own a pro version and would you say its worth the extra cost or would a standard one be just fine?

Thanks

2. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The pro version is the only one you should consider. The standard version has been shown to be spoof able, where as the Pro version measures extra parameters and has yet to be beaten.

3. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you able to explain the flaws with the standard version?

sgbuyer likes this.
  4. 66rounds

This video goes through it better than I can

Perhaps flaws is the wrong word, but a lack of features that make it useless for inexperienced users. The pro is much more idiot proof, where as the base PMV requires a familiarity with the correct weight and density of the item your testing and knowledge of other simple at home tests as it only checks resistivity. Not saying to chuck out your PMV, but a new buyer would be smart in spending a little extra for the pro.

That being said I have heard both devices are quite finicky and can give different results based on where the item is placed.

GoldenEye likes this.
  5. fishduck

fishduck Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So would you say:
    1k -1.5k -> standard
    2k -2.5k -> Pro

On a cost basis to achieve the goal (verifying PM when doing deals with bullion dealers/individuals), it would be better to spend an extra 1k and buy the pro?

Most of the people here seem to go with the standard one, I have yet to see anyone with a pro.

But this is something I am curious about as its easier to shell out 1k vs 2k although understanding the benefits of owning a pro.

66rounds likes this.
  6. 66rounds

It's really up to what you want. If you want to save the upfront cost and do a couple other verification tests yourself, the standard is good enough. I personally wouldn't spend 1.5k on something that doesn't do a complete job. That being said I personally wouldn't buy the pro either. You will have trouble testing hand pours of silver or gold on either. At the moment I rely on XRF at a dealer but am looking at ultrasonic testing methods for home verification.

If I have to do most of the work myself, I would rather spend a few hundred Dollars on a decent ultrasonic gauge, calipers, calibrated scales and a good set of magnets.

7. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I got the pmv standard with the bullion scope. So far it helped me detect a fake 1oz gold coin which luckily I didn't buy. I'll be most interested to know if someone has created a gold or silver plated coin or bar that can fool the standard pmv.

sctpc likes this.