Exclusive Chinese Perth Mint Lunar Series

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SliderC, Sep 9, 2019.

1. SliderC

SliderC Active Member

According to the official reply in the discussion attached to the Youtube video announcing the release of Lunar Series 3, Perth mint will be minting a second Lunar Mouse.

"heard there will be a Lunar 3 Series especially for the chinese market. Is this true or false? If true why and where can we see the different design?"

Perth Mint - "Hi - thanks for the enquiry. We are manufacturing a separate range of Year of the Mouse bullion coins for exclusive distribution by our Chinese client Baoquan Coin Investment Co."

What are your thoughts on this and its impact to the Standard Lunar series.

I find it very strange personally, its already a chinese themed coin, why create another one?

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s very odd!! They were part of why this series did well. Looks like I’m forever done with the PM Lunars. If I could cancel my order without penalty I would. This does not bode well for the series IMHO.

aelmsu likes this.
  3. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What will the mintage be? Will the design be largely the same, just with more Chinese text?

This stinks of the Russian edition of the red back spider coin or the numerous privy coins, not a good start to the series to be expanding the mintage like this in my view.

barsenault likes this.
  4. barsenault

Can someone find out what the image is? What the mintage is? The variations being sold? This stinks to high heaven is right. But I’m not surprised. Where money is to be made, well, this is what happens. I was initially going to collect the pt piece, I’m scraping that idea - until I find out more info about this.

5. clear

clear Well-Known Member

If an overseas customer wants 1 million coins (Chinese characters and is slightly different and is even Australian Currency) produced, what's wrong with that? lets no be juvenile... Perth Mint is a business.

spannermonkey likes this.
  6. barsenault

Who’s being juvenile. It’s simple math. The more of something makes it less valuable (especially with lower demand)...pure economics. My bet is the Series 3 will be a big fail. I guess time will tell when the mintage numbers come out in a couple years...it’s over for this series. IMHO.

7. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Big Call barsenault. Its an entirely different market/different product and your wrong - Series 3 will be successful and so will the Series 4, if Series 3 (Australian) and the new Series 3 (Chinese) don't sell-out so what, you perspective is very simple selfish and based in fear.....regardless of the numbers the Perth Mint Series 3 will sell - if your looking for return on your purchase wouldn't it be better if Series 3 (Australian) has a huge fail ...as you say simple math.

8. Bullion Baron

Sure, it's a business, but that doesn't mean it's juvenile for customers to be unhappy with a business if they engage in underhanded or non-transparent business practices.

The lunar series coins are being sold at a large premium to other coins produced by the Perth Mint. What allows this premium is the high demand and low supply.

One of the reasons they are sought after by investors is that they have attracted higher premiums over time due to their low mintage.

If I am going to pay ~$3-7/ounce more for each silver coin (vs other Perth Mint silver coins) then I want to be sure that the reason I pay the premium isn't undermined by a business prepared to work around these mintage limits by producing a slightly modified version and selling it to a wider audience.

You are probably right that the series will be successful regardless, but that doesn't mean they aren't losing other customers as a result or that the customers put off by their practices don't have a right to voice concern if they are unhappy.

9. Bullion Baron

FWIW I really only have a problem with the coins that almost exactly represent the very limited mintage coin (e.g. like they did with the red back or privy coins).

If the coins they are designing for Baoquan Coin Investment Co are a completely different lunar design (i.e. different mouse image), then I don't really have an issue with it.

10. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the mouse is more like a marsupial in the coins, bit rounder is person...
    in China the mouse is sharper in shape, may be hungrier

11. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Naturally BB I agree we all want low mintage, I know your take on the Perth Mint products and the secondary market but Perth Mint need to expand the brand into new markets and why should they limit sales to maximum 300,000 coins ($8 premium) why not produce a Chinese coin for that market and you choose if you want buy and resell, but when you and other members come on here complaining give me a break - nobody is forcing anybody to buy. So your anti the Chinese lunar coin would you prefer increasing the mintage from 300,000 to 1,000,000 ?

12. alor

66rounds likes this.
  13. Bullion Baron

Yes, that would be the transparent way of doing it fairly and to be quite honest I'm very surprised they didn't increase the mintage. A mintage of 1,000,000 is still relatively small compared with other 1oz bullion coin series.

That would be a better option than continuing this charade that the limit is 300,000, while pumping another 500,000 coins out the back door with a slight modification to the coin.
    That's true, so if Perth Mint is upfront and transparent about the coins they are selling (mintage, appearance, etc), customers can then make an informed decision on whether or not they want to buy.

clear likes this.
  14. barsenault

I’m not buying and it’s definitely duplicitous...IF they follow the same format and variations of this series 3. It will hurt the series, no question about it, especially if and when the Chinese coins bleed into to the Western market...again lots of answered questions. If it’s just a one coin - special piece with a completely different design, maybe not that big of a deal, but the same concept as series 3...series 3 is doomed. I won’t touch them if it’s an identical concept. Call me juvenile, no problem, but I won’t waste my money. Lol. There’s other fish in the sea...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Bullion Baron likes this.
  15. alor

l@@king back on S2 Lunar, not considering low silver prices

since monkey, chicken, doggy, piggy were not sold out that fast, some are still available online
    they provide very good indicator of the S3 Lunar

16. johnnyhann

johnnyhann Active Member Silver Stacker

whoa some big calls here. Perth kinda already did this in 2016 with the Monkey King coins released along side the Lunar series. did it hurt the main series? I would say no. It's a completely different design if you read it up in the federal legislation submission.

and this probably won't either if pretty much all of it goes overseas.

clear likes this.