Gold and Silver Notes - From Around The World.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Sep 8, 2019.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I thought I’d start a new thread regarding gold and silver notes that are becoming more prevalent in the precious metals community. It adds yet another exciting nuance to an already wonderful community of collecting. More and more mints from around the word are starting to create these pure silver and gold notes. I believe it was started back in 2014 in China.
    Original bank notes date all the way back to the 7th century during the Tang Dynasty in China. Since then, collectors and historians all around the world have collected them and shared the many stories to go along with the currency. One thing that differs from the paper currency/bank notes from then to Silver and Gold notes – other than what they’re made of – is the process.
    When making a Precious Metal note, the process seems very simple, but it could not be more technologically advanced. A single sheet is rolled from ingots down to vacuum cast steel rolls that have been re-ground to ensure the flatness of each note is consistent, as well as the surface finish. After multiple rolls through the machine, the sheet can reach a uniform thinness of 0.018 millimeters. After the desired weight is achieved, each note is cut to size and pressed to create the final design. A press is used because of how delicate the note can be. The press helps make sure each detailed design can be seen clearly on every piece.
    Granted these notes are not for every collector, but it adds another ‘flavor’ of collecting precious metals. Who knows what the future holds for these notes?
    Feel free to add your pictures, videos and stories here. Best of success, Bob A

2. barsenault

Skyline series from the Cook Islands. 999 silver. 5000 minted. This video is of London and New York.

3. barsenault

2018 China Lunar Dog. 999 Gold. Nanjing Mint.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Similarly related.
    Worth a watch if you can find it.

5. barsenault

Lol. You can say that just about anything that is minted: coins, medals, bars, iPhones, paper money...the only way to be certain if anything is authentic in their raw form, is send it in to the experts for grading...heck they now have fake slabs of coins...so of course one must do their due diligence...but as for these pure silver and gold notes they are authentic as they come, and most have COA’s, and further, like coins and medal they can be authenticated. You need to read a little more my friend. And trust me, it’s easier for them to counterfeit silver eagles and Morgan’s than these notes - fact.

6. barsenault

Julie, hopefully you don’t have any of these?

Or these? If so, buyer be warned. These gold and silver notes use more advanced technology than what is used to make these common generic bullion coins.

7. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No Barsenault, none of those.

I've seen examples and they are very good, but the "ping" test shows them up.

8. barsenault

Not in slabs and not everyone knows how to do the ping test...my point, don’t single out the notes...anything can be counterfeited, period end of story...and generic bullion is a lot easier to fake than these pure silver and gold notes -FACT.

9. picturefun

picturefun Member

Those who think one can easily counterfeit these Precious metal Notes are ignorant, who do NOT know at all how these 0.0x mm thick, or even 0.00x mm thick, Precious metal notes are made. They thought these PM notes were made as easy as printing a counterfeit paper note, LOL. Even some Mints CANNOT make these now!

If counterfeiters had the skill/technology to make these 0.0x mm thick, or even 0.00x mm thick Precious metal notes, they could have made many other much more profitable products!

NO fool counterfeiters will counterfeit these PM notes! It is just NOT cost effective even if they had the skill/technology! Yes, even counterfeiters considering whether they can make money out of Counterfeiting. LOL. Counterfeiters are into the business due to the money!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  10. barsenault

11. SteelHand

SteelHand Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey Barsenault, I tried to check out your website but it comes up with a 404 error (apologies if this has been mentioned before)

12. barsenault

Taken from a famous painter in China (Fan Zeng). Set of 5. Steel thanks for the heads up. I’m fixing. Thanks so much.

13. barsenault

Shenjing Scenery - Shanghai Mint. Set of 8. Silver 999 silver 2g.

14. barsenault

Two gold notes. The Lunar Dog which has a mere 10mg of gold but beautiful nevertheless and the Good Luck Notes with 1g of gold. Beautiful pieces.

15. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a few of these https://valaurum.com/

Interesting process they use, atomising gold and depositing it on plastic before sealing it away.

I also watched an episode of Cody's Lab where he takes the 'Gold" playing cards and extraqcts the gold to find out how much is present in the deck, spoiler alert, none!

barsenault likes this.
  16. Jislizard

17. barsenault

Neat pieces on that site. Those dog notes are super beautiful...no wonder they’re out of stock. I was ready to purchase. Lol. Thanks for sharing.

Update: snagged both dogs on ebay a few minutes ago...can’t wait to see them!! Thanks jislizard.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  18. Jislizard

I dropped a few into my cart as well, nit sure if they deliver to Australia, I remember a lot of trouble back when they first started releasing the notes, they used to give a really good bulk discount as well but they got rid of that.

19. barsenault

Hi J. Yeah, I spoke with the folks at CIT and they said the Lunar note they have began with the dog, followed by the pig and now the mouse. They will stick with the theme of the mouse and pig - I think they changed because they wanted it to reflect more of a ‘silver note.’ Just my opinion. And the notes from Valaurum are very nice too.

20. barsenault

Here is a sample of the complexity of the technology and the anti-counterfeiting measures used. The article is discussing the Dragon note, but I’m certain all the notes from China (and other mints) have these features in place. The article is in Chinese - but google was helpful. :) It is far easier and more efficient for the counterfeiters to make eagles than these notes. These notes are yet another way to collect and stack...and who knows, maybe an easier way to barter with too? ;)

http://m.toutiao.manqian.cn/wz_17i3TzgD83z.html

“The collection potential is self-evident, and the value of the collection is even higher! High-tech equipment, precision calculation. Precious metal density, purity, thickness, tension, elongation. Gold nuggets as thin as 0.004mm, thousands of tons of pressure, double-sided imprint. Pattern line detail and each multi-angle ridgeline. Reflective effect. The pattern presents an ultra-thin relief effect picture level and space and also shows a vivid Chinese dragon leaping above the metal to achieve 0.0046 ultra-thin gold. It has 7 anti-counterfeiting processes, and epoch making innovation and breakthrough, which offers a more authoritative and safer collection experience.”

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019