What's the future of silver look like to you?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Coins A-Z, Nov 23, 2017.

1. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Silver is GREAT, but for those that ain't got Gold, Mr. T says "I pity the fool"

2. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

There are inverse-rhymes as well

3. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Mr.T is evegreen, unlike the US dollar, he's been the same in the last 40 years.

45 lbs he said? That's 720 ounces - now I understand why he's so happy!

Money might not bring happiness, but GOLD SURE DOES! ;)

66rounds likes this.
  4. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i would bet he has far more wealth than that locked up in property and stocks

sgbuyer likes this.
  5. Number 47

Number 47 Well-Known Member

Well that's a massive mistake...
    Now I know that GDP is Gross domestic products, a monetary measure of the market value of all the final goods and services produced in a specific time period, often annually.

I've googled "total us dollars in existence" and got.
    10 trillion
    $10,000,000,000,000
    But it's way to early in the morning for me to crunch numbers,
    But I'm guessing it would half my answers.

That brings it down to about $38,240 per troy oz
    Or the new dollar as 1/30th

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Not wanting to start a new thread on a subject that gets a lot of attention thought this thread sounded like it was in the ballpark
    Yesterday I typed into a search engine "why is silver price suppressed" given most talk of manipulation is with gold or paper manipulation/suppression
    Anyway this was the top response from a site called Quora

"Silver has a long history of being manipulated through booms and busts. Because silver is a monetary metal it is considered a strategic asset. If gold and silver were to spike it would potentially signal distress in the financial system and the dollar. The federal reserve and governments want to avoid this so they have an incentive to manage the price lower. Gold is also repressed lower, but there are a few key differences:

There are more gold reserves in the world than silver. Depending on the valuation it is estimated that there are more than $6 trillion in gold reserves. On the other hand there are only about 1 billion ounces of physical silver reserves, which would currently have a valuation of only $16 billion. Because the market is so small, its very easy to move the price.

It’s profitable. A small handful of commercial banks can trade the small leveraged paper market to set a price. They drop their bids, create a wall of selling, and cascade the price lower by shorting. Leveraged speculators get margin called and sell into the price fall creating a crash. The banks are then able to cover their initial short positions and capture a gain in the price move.

The key reason why this works, is that the vast majority of silver, gold, and other commodities to all trade on paper contracts and are settled in cash the majority of the time. Physical delivery is rare. If the market ever moves higher, banks can always sell unlimited amounts of paper contracts into the market to make it crash back to the level that they want it at.

The only way to stop contract manipulation is for buyers to demand physical delivery. However, it is believed that regulators would not allow this, at least from a large investor. In 1997 Warren Buffett purchased 130 million ounces of silver, however it is believed that he was forced to sell it by regulators and the silver was moved to the SLV ETF managed by JP Morgan.

If the price of silver remains below the cost of production, miners will eventually shutter production, creating a deficit of supply. This is considered similar to holding a balloon under water, where it constantly needs to be held down or it will rise to the surface."

Is this legal and or practiced because it seems with this method they can hold the price forever where ever the commercial banks want?
    Does anyone know what the current cost of production is with silver?

yuripuka likes this.
  7. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

(Short answer: $15ish)
    It varies at different mines around the world and because silver is mainly mined as a byproduct metal, the miners can offset their All In Sustaining Costs (AISC) and render the data useless. I've seen mines claim AISC's of $0, and others as low as $2 and $5!

However, in saying that, Keith Neumeyer from First Majestic silver has said many times that he needs a $15 silver price to be profitable. Other mines may even need a $17-$18+ silver price and some don't rely on silver at all.

Alfie and 66rounds like this.
  8. Court Jester

Most mines /silver production that mine silver as a by product silver can go to 0 and these mines will still be profitable it is largely a non issue

9. STKR

I agree. A mine can sustain itself without revenue from silver and claim an AISC of $0. But we know that AISC is not accurate, it has been manipulated or "offset" to appeal to share holders and investors. Silver's revenue is factored into the sale of the processed ore, so why shouldn't it have a share of the costs equal to the % of profits generated?

My points were in a response to the question:
    "Does anyone know what the current cost of production is with silver?"

AISC's are simply not a reliable indicator of the average cost to produce an ounce of silver globally.

Alfie likes this.
  10. Finsterjaeger

Finsterjaeger New Member

Something to remember about these numbers is that there are a number of different economic metrics used to measure the amount of "money" in the world. Most of them don't involve counting every redeemable note or "original" ledger entry. That ~$10 trillion number comes from the M2 definition of money, which includes "M1" actual "cash" along with money in checking deposits, while M2 includes savings accounts, money market funds and similar securities/investment vehicles. The M2 definition double counts money since savings deposits are converted into checking deposits through bank lending. The most recent M1 I saw (quick google search) was roughly ~$3.85 trillion. These definitions are helpful in that they are generally correlated to inflation. A higher M1 total compared to M2 tends to be correlated with inflation since those are actual dollars being used to make purchases in the economy (i.e., they are a reasonably proxy for actual demand). An even better indicator for that is the velocity of money - if you look at the charts for V you'll see that it peaks around the end of 2007 going into 2008 and then falls off a cliff to an anemic recovery in the present.

11. sodl

sodl Well-Known Member

The coming Gold and Silver standard ? Very interesting reading on a number of issues. Notice how our new aussie notes have a lot of gold and silver on them.

https://wg1wga.com/read-blog/101_the-coming-gold-standard.html

COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA CONSTITUTION ACT - SECT 115
    States not to coin money
    A State shall not coin money, nor make anything but gold and silver coin a legal tender in payment of debts.

See the new notes issued in 2018 and 2019. The old ones said "This NOTE is legal tender throughout Australia and its Territories" the new note simply says "LEGAL tender in Australia". The new note imagery is flooded with Gold and Silver. The coat of arms that belongs to the Australian registered corporation with the SEC, the trademark for which is also registered with the SEC is missing from the new notes too. Does that mean the illegal Corporations set up to run the Western world via Admiralty Law and usurp the power and wealth of the people have been taken over or liquidated? Did this happen on 4 June 2019 when Trump was in the UK with the Queen and circa 209 nations were reported to have signed some documents?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    SuprmeLeadr, Alfie, 66rounds and 2 others like this.
  12. JOHNLGALT

Damn it @sodl that is a fantastic link. https://wg1wga.com/read-blog/101_the-coming-gold-standard.html
    I carried on into the link below it https://wg1wga.com/read-blog/103_yo...kground-info-amp-links-royal-family-cont.html & bookmarked both of them for future use. Also, I might have (maybe) snipped all of the Gold Standard one into a WORD Doc. In the 2nd one it says the Queen has been executed ????. have to check that one out, a bit hard to swallow. No wonder the alternative press gets the title 'FAKE NEWS'. proof needed.

sodl likes this.
  13. JOHNLGALT

The future of Silver looks terrific to me.
    ANYONE ELSE??

Silver260 and sodl like this.
  14. STKR

LOL BUY THE DIP!

sodl likes this.
  15. sodl

sodl Well-Known Member

Yep I have to agree with you on that one JG

sodl = silver ownership for dear life .... sorta like the crypto term HODL

:)

16. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

sodl likes this.
  17. Court Jester

did someone drink the kool-aide and forget to take their meds and wear their tin foil had

18. Court Jester

silver and gold have been one of the WORST asset classes to have your money in over teh last 8 years

No

ifs

and

or

buts

about

it

ONE

OF

THE

WORST

BAr

None

19. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ag
    +24% in the last 3-4 months, is not bad at all, it is only a perspective

Pd since 2016
    +50% each year, last 3-4 yrs is twice better

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    kilo and 66rounds like this.
  20. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why are you looking only over 8 years? Who invests over such a short time frame? People who buy gold and silver invest for long term asset protection. Look at gold over 30-50 years and tell me your opinion still applies.
    No doubt who ever bought into the high of 2011 is suffering still, but that goes for any investment Class.

JohnnyBravo300 and kilo like this.