All Series 2 Kilo Silver Coins Available

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Bullion Baron, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

bigsky likes this.
  2. bigsky

bigsky Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the heads up BB, were all years up at the start because they only have
    9 years up there now?

The horse, rabbit and tiger are not listed, that and the dragon were the standout
    high issue years, this makes me think that they may be trying to even up the mintage
    numbers a bit. But on the other hand the goat is listed as circulated whilst the other
    7 (minus dragon) are listed as BU, the dragon's price is 10% more than most other
    years and the prices on the rest are a bit all over the place.

We have had talk before about these kilos being reminted when a dealer had several
    hundred tigers for sale at one stage, and another time something similar, but then
    the PM denied there had been a remint and from memory said/implied that there was
    not going to be a remint, because of the fallout of the 1oz mouse and kookaburra
    remints, this was some years ago now and my memory is not as sharp as it once was

Has anyone made contact with the PM to confirm that there is/not a remint going on,
    if so are they available here in Aust or do we have to re-import these back and
    probably pay GST (because of the pretty pictures) and import charges, which makes
    it not a real viable propisition

cheers grant

3. bigsky

Also, just tried to see how many were available on lpm's site

17ox, 19mouse, 20goat and 50dragon are what I came up with from
    doing the plus-minus game, I dont think that PM would remint just
    these small amounts, if there is a remint happening then dealers here
    would know about it IMO as it would be shopped around

cheers grant

Bullion Baron likes this.
  4. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmmm maybe you are right @bigsky. I only looked quickly, so perhaps it has only been the 9 the whole time. Just seemed strange to see it included in their email newsletter and they had stock on the site under the label 'pre sale'. If they have physical stock in hand (and that's the only coins available), why is it marked pre sale? Perhaps they've just had a buy back or are clearing out remainder of their Series 2 stock before Series 3 arrives in a couple of weeks.

66rounds likes this.
  5. bigsky

After i posted those two posts earlier...I had a thought about where lpm are...
    Hong Kong...apparently there are quite a few well off locals in HK who are keen
    to get out...the total value of the kilo lunars could work out to a couple of hundred K, to
    up to a mill, you could have bought these at $50-$80 over spot and maybe less
    who knows, so in the scheme of things a wealthy HK resident wanting to get out
    would/could offload their stack to a local dealer

just a guess...who knows...if there is a remint we will know about it soon enough

cheers grant

Bullion Baron and 66rounds like this.
  6. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I approached Perthmint in 2012 and they said they would do some if I ordered 100 minimum. For such a coin their minting policies leave a lot to be desired as many have expressed before. I am often surprised at what low prices series 1 kilo coins go for. Coins that have been around for 20 years, are apparently low mintage. I still have a few but don’t follow them anymore.

Bullion Baron and 66rounds like this.
  7. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

Remember these are still bullion coins, even though limited mintage with 1oz.

1kg coins dont sell with the same premium over smaller coins because $1000 can buy a lot of coins with more upside potential gains.

Funny enough, in 9-10 years I've been stacking the lunar tigers have been the best performing coins in my collection followed by series 2 dragons.