The unbelievers... how to deal with sceptics and doubters...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by RhythmDoctor, Apr 17, 2011.

1. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Howdy folks,

Not so much a request for advice, but today has certainly been a wierd experience for me stacking so far. I hit an auction this afternoon and picked up a few bits, been buying a good bit this week from various members here. Anyhow I get talking to an old schoolfriend of mine back in the UK. I mentioned I'd been investing my money in buying silver and trading/selling jewellery for the last few months, when I was surprised to get a hugely negative response from him. Things like 'its an expensive hobby that you'll make nothing out of' was a defining response for me, along with 'its not actual real money though is it?' and the classic ' when you can say you've made some money out of it let me know'

I felt pretty shakey about it to be honest, much as I appreciate my mates counsel, I ended up losing my cool and letting him know how I've profited from trading recently. I reckon he was a little jealous having lost out majorly in the UK housing crash (he bought a place just before the prices dropped - losing around 20k in the process) but still, it still feels sad when a friend just appears to blinkered and even riduculing of what so far appears to be very sound judgement.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with 'unbelievers'? I certainly have never experienced negativity personally from people for choosing to invest in silver. I find it a little bizarre...

RD

2. chirofalls

chirofalls New Member

This is why I'm not on Myface, who needs old friends :)

As for explaining, I have a one time over rule. Explain briefly once - if no intrest is shown - ph@#k them, they are on their own. Like trying to talk politics and real estate on this forum (but this site would'nt be the same without them! At the end of the day we all share PM's as a common interest), it can be an exercise in futility. Who is going to need friends anyway when silver goes to the triple figures. We will be able to rent them when we are feeling lonely for a day or a week having peace and quiet during the interim. I can't wait (as they are too expensive at todays silver prices)

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Keep your mouth shut and build your stack while you still can.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

You cant buy real friends chirofalls, you just have to love and put up with them anyways. Real friends are way beyond $ value.

5. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

thats what i would do

i've tried 5 times on my older bro..he just wont have it..lol

6. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Hey RD,

It's something that we all come across. Uneducated investing of any form is nothing more than a gamble, and most people see it that way. I have a close mate who has seen first hand the benefits I've gained from PMs, and yet is not prepared to take the leap into it himself. I understand the skepticism, but if you understand the fundamental difference between an asset and a liability, then it ain't a bad "hobby". :)

(Like the avatar, by the way....)

7. RhythmDoctor

Haha, I've not tried pushing it on him or anything, he just became really hostile to the idea, it was bizarre. As I said its the first time I've ever come across it, I'm certainly not one to put it around aside from other stackers.

Just wondered if anyone had experienced a similar thing, hostility to people stacking?

8. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Once in 2005 I brought 50kg of pre decimal silver home I paid 5 thousand something.
    When I sorted out the pre and post decimals on the floor in the family room my wife asked me: "What are you doing, and why did you bring that rubbish at home?"

9. Ernster

Ernster New Member

When the sheep think something is a good idea, thats when you know it isnt.

Be thankful.

10. RhythmDoctor

Ah but to have bought back then... was really good to meet BlockHead this morning at the auction. Feels refreshing from buying and selling jewellery pieces to investing the profits in a stack.... mmmmmm :)

11. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

+1

IMHO, only talk after you have "doubled your money". Even then it should only get a '25 word or less mention'. z :| p it

12. chirofalls

chirofalls New Member

Don't answer the phone, keep the door shut... They'll get the message sooner or later. :eek:

13. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

My Wife still doesn't understand why I paid 35 dollars for coins that are only "worth" and labelled $5.

However, her $75/oz skin cream is a necessity.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I hit non believers with "Your probably right"......Hmmm...Got any silver you want to sell..lol

REDBACK

15. chirofalls

chirofalls New Member

Mines only paying half that, but maybe she only has half the wrinkles :)

16. chirofalls

chirofalls New Member

My mother in law on the other hand ..... i think she's given up.

17. 6adam7

6adam7 Member

Not these days,

I used to, which would fire me up in response, but the majority of people i might speak to about it would give me,...that look, you know?...like i'd just said I was gonna collect golf balls and sell em back to players for a huge profit and buy a house :|

Ive learnt to just keep my mouth shut - On just about everything to do with the whole financial shamozzle....

Really, people will only see if they wanna see, and the way the world is right now, I reckon most people, especially if their deep in the system, already having enough to deal with, Its just too big for them..the last thing they want is someone telling them that what they might be doing, thinking, is not right, or not quite true or that their being deceived...

Plus, know one!, really knows how things are gonna pan out, we might all have our differing theories, time lines, done our due diligence to the Nth degree, read our financial history, looked at the charts, but from here on in, its a new frontier..

So really you just gotta stick to your own convictions - whether thats leaving this all behind and going to help the starving in Africa or,...stacking...

18. Guest

Guest Guest

CDNMETAL im LMAO..ROFL!!!

Thats funny!

REDBACK OUT

19. 6adam7

6adam7 Member

never a truer word said...

20. chirofalls

chirofalls New Member

On a serious note, what got me thinking was when I saw Peter Schiff on lateline a couple of years ago, and finding him again a few months back. He is entertaining and makes great sense. His interview with Marc Faber last week was great and all his Schiffreport posts are gold. this could be a place to direct them, dropping the occasional link every now and then. His book "ow an economy grows and why it crashes" wraps up the current and past situation brilliantly in a form dummies can understand. He also has some great seminar series on the tube as well. I have spent many a night after midnight listening to his presentations and cannot get enough.