How funny is this - yet another goddess series - "itgoddess" - I kid you not

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Jun 27, 2019.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

2. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

I said I was trying to stop talking about the Mint of Poland releases as it was giving them too much publicity to have so many threads jacking up fake interest, but some observations.
    1. the designs don't seem to be improving with each new release but becoming more stale (at least this one doesn't have more horses, but the dogs are weird enough that maybe they started out as horses - more on that in point 3).
    2. The background is too busy and is overtaking the goddess which is not that enticing of a look/pose (they should probably start looking at going to 3 oz in the future);
    3. the dogs look weird: legs are mis-directed and mis-angled like they are broken; the one on the left looks like some sort of demon, and the one on the far right looks like a rat; plus because the image is too busy, the dogs seem to be floating in the air and the two on the right specifically seem to be jumping on one another like they are trying to *ahem* get busy (the one on the left is demon-like because it is too cramp: the perspective is wrong but I guess they wanted to throw in another dog because they felt it wasn't busy enough as it is)
    4. the deer/antelope/??? in the back (besides having an alien face) seems to be there to just fill a void (again the image is too busy and too heavily weighted on the left side).
    5. The eyes in general on every creature/human are all off
    6. and "itgodess"? Seriously? Is the next series going to be called "Something Something Darkside Gods?"

In general, there doesn't seem to be anything that interesting about the design besides the fact they are trying to replicate yet another of their past series (Gods). I'm not sure how someone can qualify it as being a "beautiful" piece given the many problems with the design: just because it "has a lot of detail" doesn't make it a great design, but to each their own. Mik gushes over all of their releases, but I don't see how this one stands out.

Also, very interesting/telling that the entire mintage has been allocated to China. But maybe it's just the long history China has with Greek/Roman Gods...yeah, I'm sure that's it ;)

3. barsenault

Yes indeed, I thought the same thing about why the chinese have the hoard...they have the cash, they have the patience, and so the price manipulation will begin. :eek: Just look at what they did to the Zhao Yun https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=zhao+yun+silver+coin&_sacat=0

No chance in heck 500 changed hands on any market!! But the allocation went to a couple of folks in China, and so let the games begin! Of course you (Trinket) and I have pegged that from the very beginning. I remember vividly how the Pagodas (Chinese medals) and other medals were pumped up to 25k...I kid you not, and now they're floundering and very hard to sell for even 2k!! :oops:

What 'they' did with the Zhao Yun, they will attempt to do with this corny 'IT-goddess' - IT, whoa...what the...for the first time in a long time, I'm actually rooting for a complete fail on this one...I hope it doesn't sell, and flops on its face, because we know why they are giving the hoard over to China! Intercoin/Numiartis are the sponsors...and they are allocating very very little to the Western sponsors...and go figure, this is a western design...inquiring minds want to know why? :D

kutylin likes this.
  4. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

It =Italian? Or... Your best versions, guys

5. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

That's a good guess, but for the fact that "it" is lower case (should be capitalized if it is meant to be Italian). They are really using the word in a popular sense and I'd guess some feminists might have a problem with the usage: common North American usage in the way the Mint is using the name would be "it girl" like a popular girl in high school.

The series name sounds stupid and the design imo is very poor as I stated above (there are more things wrong with it but no point in beating a dead horse).

kutylin likes this.
  6. 11471147

11471147 Active Member

she's gonna take her nose off when she releases that string...

yuripuka and ParanoidAndroid like this.
  7. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

First things first, If I say in an article I like a design, I like a design. I don't gush, I say it how I see it. and I like this coin a lot. You can pick apart elements of this design, or any other, but it's an opinion and this is a small disc of metal with all the constraints that brings. I'm partial to this genre of coins, or anything ancient/medieval, as I am anything with a palaeontology theme, so I do get enthusiastic, and make no apologies for it. But again, it's an opinion and I'm open about what I like. All of you look back at some of the coins you bought last year or the year before with a similar eye and I bet you can find similar elements that you consider less than perfect now that you didn't notice previously. Same with issues from other mints and genres.

There are lots of comments about aftermarket prices, investment potential etc, etc. I couldn't give a toss about any of that. AgAuNEWS exists to tell collectors about new issues in the most visual way possible, and as fast as possible. You will rarely see me comment or speculate on investment potential, except very rarely in the vaguest sense. That isn't what the site is about and that's for each individual collector to decide. If you make money on the latest and greatest - brilliant. If you don't, well sometimes life doesn't give you everything you want. As for bias from me towards any specific series - it doesn't exist. For personal reasons, I've been in no position to buy, so I literally own not one of the coins in that guide. Not one. I can't tell you how frustrating that is, but c'est la vie. I was blown away when I saw the Ares prototype in hand. Now it's silly money and I will likely never own one.

As for issues going to China, you could look at that multiple ways. The Chinese clearly have an affinity for precious metal and I'd bet it's very difficult to get most of these limited releases outside of Hong Kong. Perhaps a dealer there took a chance and pre-bought the mintage to test the market. I only know of two of these coins that have predominantly gone to China, and one of those had a heavily Asian theme, so it isn't like it's a major problem (yet). Collectors have never had it so good re. choice, and a lot of that is because dealers like these are taking on board the risk that a mint might find otherwise too much. Metal Market EU distribute the mintage of the Emu coin, APMEX the Swan, LPM the Marvel Superheroes. Why is it so different that a Chinese distributor bought up a Mint of Poland mythology coin from the distributor? You can't complain that there are too many of these being issued, and then complain that one of them is going to a market out of reach.

Collectors set prices at the end of the day. If something is too expensive, don't buy it and they will get the message soon enough. This particular design has split opinion more than I would have thought, no doubt in part because of release fatigue, rather than anything intrinsically wrong with the design. We do agree on many things. There are too many of these being released, but the site looks at the coin itself, it's for you to decide if a particular issue has a place in your collection. I've always favoured choice and letting the market say when enough is enough. This is no different. For me, these Mint of Poland coins are a fantastic showcase of what can be done with a couple of ounces of silver, and I'm glad they exist. I don't expect to like every one of them, and neither should you.

paruwka likes this.
  8. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

Everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion, and no offense to you or your site was meant: I commented "Mik gushes over all of their releases, but I don't see how this one stands out" simply because I didn't agree with your kind words for this release. I stated above my reasons why I didn't agree with this one as the design to me was poor, but as we all say: buy what you like.

The pricing/dealers/etc has already been discussed numerous times so I won't restate the obvious. The market is what it is and like all collectible markets plays out the same with fatigue and other aspects, including design (both good and bad regardless of brand name/recognition).

9. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

The pricing 'performance' is very annoying, I totally agree. The same seems to be true of some Royal Canadian Mint issues, where we see a rapid escalation in price on some items (Carousel, Enterprise, etc.), followed by a crash back down. Likewise the coloured 50p coins from the Royal Mint. Huge rapid inflation, then an even quicker deflation. The Mint of Poland stuff seems to be more resilient, but the number of releases at the moment is beginning to be a concern. I honestly think 'release fatigue' is a thing and there are several other examples around at the moment.

I do try not to comment on the financial aspects of the market on site because the articles are read for years after they're published, and that kind of information would date rapidly. I'd be forever updating stuff.

10. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

The fatigue is definitely a large part of it, but an understandable aspect: best to get in on a good thing before your time passes. But like a lot of mints these days, more and more things keep getting pumped out that just water down what was done before. As an example, the KOMSCO coins (for which I am a fan of) are heading quickly down that path as well. RCM is a whole other thing: I have some from the past (it is what got me into coin collecting), but it is too unstable and generally overpriced in my opinion. The quality is there for some things, even sparks of uniqueness once in a blue moon, but the prices and number of redundant releases aren't logical. As a Canadian, I see people rushing to them because of the perceived "hotness" but they never hold their value, and I feel deservedly so: they are overpriced for what they are given the high mintages, low PM content, and mostly standard designs.

I have commented before about how the coin collectible market is no different that any other collectible markets. I've participated in others and they all behave the same way as far as how they play out upon peaks and valleys of success, and how both producers and sellers (excluding resellers which is another thing) follow the same patterns without learning from other industries. It is what it is. It's just important that people educate themselves.

I think not including the financial aspects is a good idea for the exact reason you gave as well as some others. It would also generate a lot of additional conversation that would simply become noise after time and take away from what you want your site to be.

11. barsenault

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Trinkets and AGAUNEWS. Greatly appreciate it! Mik, your work is AWESOME. Keep up the good work to inform us of the stuff that is being produced from mints all around the world. It is very helpful to collectors like me! And I agree that on the one side, the Poland Mint is producing some amazing high relief coins, but on the flip side, the intro price on some of them are ridiculous...but as you said, and we’ve said, no one is putting a gun to our head telling us to buy this stuff. We vote with our wallet. I think that is happening as I type. More and more people are saying no to this stuff for obvious reasons. There’s just way too much of this stuff being produced and other mints are jumping onboard, copying the Poland Mint’s technology (to the best of their ability), and more and more will jump onboard - where there is money to be made, the eyes of those wanting a piece of the action knows no bounds. What will eventually happen is prices will be driven lower, which is good for those who are patient, but bad for those who bought at higher prices, hoping to get higher prices still if they need to sell their collection - I’m thinking the Ares at $2,000.00...the copycats are even happening within the Poland Mint...never mind worrying about other mints jumping onboard. Lol. Anyway, all this to say, I’m very, very, very selective these days, and put a price ceiling of what I will pay and if it is more than that, I just move on, because as they say in real estate, there is a ‘deal of a life-time’ happening every week...and technology is constantly improving and getting enhanced, so what is amazing today, may not be ‘tomorrow.’ So buyer, beware. I remember when the PM came out with their ‘high relief’ gods/goddess series, they sold like hot cakes, and drove the prices to the moon...now people like me yawn at those pieces...actually, I roll my eyes at how people thought they were amazing in the first place...but when they were first intro’d, they were a big ‘wow.’ Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts Trinkets and AGAUNEWS...let’s see what tomorrow holds. Lol.

12. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

It's all about cycles, I think. CIT's Mongolian Wildlife series suffered from price appreciation on the early issues. On the surface that seemed pretty cool, but many collectors have the mentality that if they can't collect a whole series, they won't collect any of it, and as a result, pricing and interest in later issues cooled off rapidly. There's no substitute for steady appreciation over time. The Canadian stuff in particular has been experiencing boom and bust on a very rapid timeline. It does a disservice to some fine coins in many cases and seems to make people wary of buying later stuff.

Thanks for the kind words all. Having a few days off at the moment. Not used to this mad heat...

13. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

Something that we discussed before about 'collecting them all' that ties into this: series that have too many issues, or worst, an unstated total that mints seem to take as a way to print money. There's nothing wrong with a stated short, concise series, that demonstrates a good theme with beautiful designs. Three to four issues in one series seems like the sweet spot for a limited mintage that allows everyone to control tastes and followers, and hopefully becomes something that becomes more worthwhile over time with a more normal appreciation. I don't think many series warrant extended issues anyway. But there again the problem of flooding multiple shorter series within a year quickly forms in the minds of some mints to make up for the shorter series. It's unfortunate.

Enjoy your few days off, and drink lots of water. I'd suggest going somewhere north, but I hear Greenland and other northern nations are being smoked as well.