Best 3 stocks for dividends

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by SilverTounge15, Aug 11, 2017.

1. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    My graph shows it doesn't track all that well compared to the ASX 200 and All Ords, there is certainly negative divergence there. But yes, it's following the general down trend.
    I'm not that concerned. Might take the opportunity to buy some more if it keeps dropping.

upload_2018-4-13_1-4-23.png

Silverling likes this.
  2. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The other thing is that as it's a high dividend yield ETF it holds: TLS, CBA, NAB, WBC, and ANZ in their top 10 holdings. Telstra is off more that 60% from it highs, dragging it down big time and the banks have gone downhill too particularly since the Banking Royal Commission has started. 5 of it's biggest holdings are on the nose at the moment. Whether that will improve anytime soon I don't know. Telstra, what a mess. They cut the dividends on that stock and look what happened to share price. We would have been better off just going for VAS, that's the top 300 stocks on the ASX.

Disclosure, I sold out of VHY last Friday at a loss, money came through Tuesday. Not because of it's performance or distributions but because I changed super funds and they had an Australian Shares category which wasn't much different but had lower fees. It was a sell out of VHY to another "Australian Shares" category with a new super fund. With this new fund I intend to purchase more shares should the market go down further. The fees between the super funds was the deciding factor behind this decision.

Anyhow, here is a screenshot of VAS versus VHY showing the results over a year. The last set of figures to the right is the difference.
    Screen Shot 04-13-18 at 05.44 AM.PNG

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    SilverDJ likes this.
  3. SilverDJ

I've been taking some profit in my SMSF this year and building up some cash ready for any correction. Previously it was almost 100% shares (not including a small commercial property investment) and I think that's risky at the moment.

4. SilverDJ

Another quarterly dividend payed on VHY 1.68% this time
    Previous dividend was 1.11%

5. SilverDJ

VHY went 3% dividend today for the quarter!

Still down 5.7% on the buy price though.

6. Silverling

Hi SilverDJ, are still holding VHY? You must be doing well at this stage. Even without the election exuberance you would be doing ok. I hope it was a long term investment, I still have mine but I needed a lot of self control not to sell them. Have you bought anything else lately? Cheers.

7. SilverDJ

Yep, still holding. Didn't notice that nice jump in the last week.
    Rode out that dip to under $51, was getting nervous there for a while but held on.
    Have been getting the quarterly dividends reinvested back in stock, haven't tallied up my gain, but most of the gain has come from the dividends, if you don't count the dividends I'm not up by much.
    I'm not buying anything else at present I'm holding cash for the inevitable market drop, but impossible to time that.
    VHY is in my super fund, so yes, long term is the plan
    I actually don't like that the VHY portfolio is rather heavy in bank stocks, it's probably not going to end well. But of course they keep paying dividends and that's the point.

upload_2019-5-21_19-19-32.png
    upload_2019-5-21_19-24-52.png

Silverling likes this.
  8. Silverling

The only one I have added has been AFI, one of the oldest listed investment companies in Australia. More can be found here: https://www.afi.com.au/

As for a market drop, I'm really worried by the USA market. I can't see value in it and when it falls over it will be severe. Should that happen we will lose everything we have gained over that last 6 Months as we will sink too. I think of VHY as income only and any capital gains is a bonus, that way I'm not all that concerned with all the ups and downs. But you are right, got to have some powder dry for any corrections/crashes we might have. No one can pick it, not even Warren Buffett.

9. Radio8tiv

Radio8tiv Active Member

Have you tried having a look at sharesight (https://www.sharesight.com/au/) they do fairly decent job at setting out your gains/losses including your drp investments, up to ten of your holdings for free, note I'm not affiliated with them or get paid by them I just use it for my own stocks