Advice: Pre-Decimal (AU) Coin Buyers - Gold Coast

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverJay, Jan 11, 2019.

1. SilverJay

SilverJay Member

Hi Everyone

I'm looking to offload a moderate collection of Aust. pre-decimal coins which I have accumulated through deceased estates over the years. I never managed to catch the numismatic bug, and invest the time in grading and valuing each coin with the reference material I have. Instead, I'm now just looking to consolidate assets and focus more on just accumulating oz.

Mindful the collection I have is made up of many smaller collections, the coins within it vary from respectable to atrocious (some old couple had a collection and managed to clean each coin to within an inch if it's life...smh)

I'd like to know if there is a reputable dealer on the Gold Coast that would look at a bulk lot - spot what's valuable, what's not and offer something fair and reasonable for it all, granted some are purely worth their silver weight.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know!

(I'd be willing to travel to Brisbane, for a solid lead.)

Appreciate it.

2. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

@SilverJay
    I've heard good word for knowledgeability of Mr Peter Brooks of the Colonial Coin & Medal (http://www.coinmedalshop.com.au/home-page) in Brissy CBD.
    I suppose they all drive a hard bargain when buying from "laypersons".
    Or - you could come up to the Brissy stacker meet on Feb 17th and there might be some better info available to arm yourself with before hitting the LCS. :cool:

SilverJay and Andy28 like this.
  3. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Try and get some knowledgeable non-dealers to look through first if you can.
    No problem selling to dealers in a big lot for a slightly smaller percentage (the convenience factor does play a part), but you don't want to be offloading coins potentially worth hundreds for melt value.

SilverJay likes this.
  4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you are coming to the meeting you might be able to get someone to bring up one of the coin catalogues with the pricing guides in them, not 100% accurate but it will let you know what is worth keeping hold of or what to look out for.

SilverJay and dollars like this.
  5. SilverJay

SilverJay Member

Thanks for the advice. (@Jislizard @Andy28 @jultorsk)

I have a pricing guide, so perhaps I concede and sit down to at least pick the best out of it.

I think what has made me procrastinate so much is the variables across grades, at least if I stay conservative with my assessment, I'll have a baseline asking price.

Where can I find more information on the meet-up?

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker