Postage & Insurance on larger orders

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by HeavyMetal, Feb 7, 2011.

1. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

Hello people.

I just had a question about postage and insurance. I noticed that some dealers and others use Platinum Express with insurance for the more expensive orders, but the Aust Post website specifically says that "Extra Cover (ie anything over $100) does not apply to bank notes, bullion or negotiable securities".

If bullion is not covered, why even pay for the insurance?

And what do you use if you want to make a large order, and can't risk not having insurance?

Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find an answer with my searches.

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Platinum Express post has tracking and signed for delivery whereas Express post doesn't. Platinum express is therefore less likely to get lost, hence it has less risk for the dealer.

How the dealer insures the package is up to them and they may have a third party underwriting it so they're not relying on AusPost to payout if the package gets lost. If that is the case the insurance premium would be less if the package can be tracked and has to be signed for (compared to getting lost in the mail or left on an exposed doorstep in a dodgy neighbourhood).

3. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Are you the leafy sea dragon from PO OR OD site?
    Regards Errol43

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't know what that is, so probably not :)

5. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

So you post using Platinum Express, and use an independent insurer?

I assume that I could sell to a dealer and deliver in the same way.

So who are the independant insurers, and what are their premiums?

6. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

The leafy sea dragon was a regular poster on Peak Oil and the Oil drum. He had a sailing ship and I believe he was from the USA. He uses to sail around northern Australia, visit Manilla and SE asian ports. He used to work part time in Darwin and Alice Springs. I thought that surely there would be only ONE LEAFY SEA DRAGON.... But obviously another breed of sea dragon.

Regards Errol 43

7. Angavar

Angavar Member

I just wondered if anyone had a answer to this original question.

Is there any way to insure bullion sent through Australia Post? Do people use an independent insurer? Or do you use a courier company for posting bullion that requires insurance?

I'm just worried that some people (mainly ebay sellers) are using Express Post Platinum extra cover and that the bullion is not actually insured if that is the case.

8. millededge

millededge Active Member

Here's what I have learned

Firstly, from personal experience, if you just get an express post item, they may just leave it on your doorstep. That's happened multiple times recently for me.

I'm in the process of filling some orders for others and here is what I can share:

Small padded bags cost $1.00-1.10. Unless you are ordering anything larger than a kilo bar in size, this should do it.

Next, registered post costs 2.95

Next, insurance - the first 100g is free up to $100 value, but anything above that is insured at 1.35 per 100g

so, if your package weighs 150 grams, you pay 1.35 insurance (if insured above $100 value).

(I think that's up to a maximum of $5000, but don't quote me there)

Next, the all important weight:

up to 250g (total) - flat charge of 4.55 around Australia

250-500g (total) - flat charge of 5.80

above that, it is scaled, depending on distance. For this you will need to go via the Aussie post website calculator

www.auspost.com.au

9. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

they(aust post) don't insure bullion..

10. millededge

millededge Active Member

thanks

I'm reading this from feebay:

11. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Just posted an item today via registered post ... and they have changed it according to my local post office.

I didn't need to fill in the log details form or state the contents of the parcel. Simply told them I wanted insurance, the amount, paid and away we go.

Very easy ... too easy ... I'm a bit worried the goverment might be trying to make things easy for the populous. :p

12. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Hi all,

Not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes...

Does platinum express require the signature of the exact person with photo ID or do they just accept any old signature like Fedex?

I'm asking because I'm not sure how to get stuff delivered to me if I am always at work (I don't want co-workers prying so I can't deliver to work).

13. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

I just collected a Platinum Post parcel today from the post office and they do require photo ID and a signature.

14. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Thank you for the information ! :)

15. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

It's funny - the other week I had 2 platinum parcels. One was delivered to my door and they only required a signature. The other I wasn't home for and had to pick up at the post office where they required photo ID and signature.

malachii

16. dragonslive

dragonslive Member

This has been my experience also. i.e. any post that requires a signature (e.g.. registered or platinum post, fedex etc) does not require ID if signed at delivery address, but does require an ID check with signature if delivery was missed and you take the PO card to the PO. This makes logical sense as if you are inside the house when they knock you are most likely a resident of the address, but anyone can steal a PO card from you letter box and attempt to pick it up with any old signature unless they ask for ID to check name and address.

17. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

better still who has lost silver or gold in the mail yet?

18. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

Just a reminder:

http://auspost.com.au/statutorydocuments/generalpostalservices/_APT&C_Body-04.htm#P718_93169

The definition of bullion:

The definition of precious metal:

19. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Fishball,
    If the parcel is sent via Registered Post with the "Person to Person" option selected.
    Only YOU can pick it up. No one else.
    This option is around $5 extra ontop of postage and ontop of it being Registered.
    This might work for you if you are at work.
    If you are at work and go out to lunch though,
    No one else can sign for it and it will be taken to the nearest post office for only YOU to collect.

20. felix

felix New Member

Am interested in reading this as I am currently dealing with a lost registered post article which contained 36 1966 50c pieces. It was sent registered post over 3 weeks ago now and as the sender of the parcel I was the one who had to instigate an 'investigation' which Australia Post said would take 10 working days and by the end of that time they would get back to me with an answer to where the parcel had ended up.
    During the original 10 days I rang 5 times to see where things were up to and on each occasion I was given minimum help. I was able to track the article myself to the delivery centre using the tracking number that I was originally given from the sending post office.
    Australia Post has not been able to give me any further information other than to say that a postal notification slip was send to the addressee, at this stage it appears only one notification was given. The addressee was home the day the parcel was supposed to have been delivered but did not get a notification slip.......and the parcel has not been sent back to me.
    After the original 10 days was up and I had rung 5 times (Australia Post had not rung me at all during this time) I rang again, explained that I wasn't happy with the way things were progressing and asked what could be done to escalate or clarify the enquiry. This time I had a helpful girl who actually tried to ring the delivery centre but couldn't get through so she emailed them directly and said I would have an answer by Tuesday ( 2 days ago). Again, no contact from Australia Post so, I rang them today and said that my patience was wearing thin and could they please explain their position and their lack of communication. The lady was quite helpful, very apologetic (not that it was really her fault) and has now escalated it to 'priority'????
    No doubt we will see what that means? Anyway at this stage it seams that Australia Post is not very accountable for its registered post items. If I hadn't rung and chased this then I would never have heard back from them.
    Will let you know how this goes. Unfortunately it was a swap between forum members which makes me hesitant to try it again.