Is this 100 , 1 gram bar sheet for 132.84 a good deal?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wilspeak, Dec 2, 2018.

1. wilspeak

wilspeak New Member

I brought a 10 oz silver bar for about $140 and Now I am thinking about this 100X 1 GRAM SILVER BAR - 100 x 1 gram Silver bar has a distinct advantage! Each CombiBar™ can remain as a sheet weighing 100 grams or be broken into individual 1 gram Silver bars for $132.84.....Is this 100 , 1 gram bar sheet for 132.84 a good deal?

Attached Files:

2. stackmans

stackmans Active Member

Too rich for me, I'd be looking to get 100g of silver somewhere closer to the $100 mark. As for resale, keep it intact. I can't see many people wanting to buy a gram of silver.

wilspeak likes this.
  3. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Best way to get fractional silver is the old predecimal silver coins. You can occasionally pick some up for spot on this site. They also have the advantage that many people will still recognise them as their old coinage, but very few would know what a 1g CombiBar looked like.

wilspeak likes this.
  4. wilspeak

wilspeak New Member

ok I am getting Grams and oz's mixed up. 100 grams is 3.5274 oz's . So its not a good deal. Thank You so much because I was about to order it , But I waited until I got some advice. I am thinking about buying some platinum.

5. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think 100g is closer to 3.2 troy ounces and not 3.5274 oz? So the deals probably a bit worse than you thought.

wilspeak likes this.
  6. wilspeak

wilspeak New Member

Exactly, Thank You

7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

for such 100g bar, it would cost about EU$100

8. alor

9. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Individual grams, no. Bunches of them, yeah... it just sells for spot price or slightly under (like any generic round/bar will) when you go to unload it. You might get a bit more on secondary markets, but then you pay fees and shipping. I bought a few mixed lots with some 1g and even smaller pieces included in them, and they just put them all in a bag and onto the scale.

...So yeah, fractional silver makes very little sense to me (unless you want the little stuff and can find it right near spot). The govt fractional Libertads and Brits and stuff are so overpriced it is not even funny. Even many private mint ones are laughable.

...If you live in USA, silverage on ebay has about the best prices on generic gram rounds/bars (premiums still to high, but less than most... presently with silver $14.25/oz spot, it is $92 for 120g or $363 for 480g of the 1g fractionals.... still roughly $10 per ounce over spot, bla):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/120-x-1-gram-999-Silver-Bullion-Silver-bar-Round-mixed-random-Wpz712/231851250638?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  10. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1gram of silver in nuclear winter won’t buy much, heck 1gram of gold won’t buy much.

But having one is fun and a nice addition. Just don’t buy ten sheets of the stuff.

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I got the 1g valcambi offering a while ago.

It has a bend to it and I am always worried that it is going to weaken and snap somewhere along the bend.

It is not great value for money, there are plenty of cheaper ways to buy silver, and I spend my money there instead.

However I did buy one bar and I am happy with that purchase.

You are not paying for the silver, you are paying for the gimmick and the story behind the bar.

Back in 2011 when silver was going to the moon there was a very widespread fear that large bars of silver would be out of the each of most buyers and you would end up with a very small market who could afford your kilo bar. Kilo bars were far too awkward to carve off a few grams if the buyer could only afford a small amount.

There was a market for smaller bars which could be sold for less money. These were fiddly though and easily lost, and also people might want to buy more than just one or two at a time. At the time 1/4 oz was about the smallest I saw, maybe some 1/10 ounce but not readily available or many options and the premiums were ridiculous.

At the same time there was also a widespread fear that a Global Financial Crisis was imminent, it was going to happen and there needed to be a way to pay for small purchases, large bars were great for buying a house with but if you just needed bread, then they were not going to be any use to you.

So this appeared on the market and ticked every box, silver was going up so premiums would soon be paid for by the rising metal price, a global financial crisis was on its way and small change would be needed and silver was going to the moon so large bars were no longer needed to store wealth.

Of course none of these happenned, and the situation today is a lot different. Buying one of these bars today seems a bit pointless, they are no longer relevant to most stackers.

But I think they are a great reminder of how times were, how the numerous fears were just manufactured to sell products and how the hype around silver was also just there to sell more product, ultimately everything within the silver stacking echochamber was there to push people to buy more silver.

I nearly bought the gold version, in the end I just bought two 1g gold bars, purely so I could snap them apart, it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be, certainly not enough to warrant the premiums.

12. alor

paying the premium to have the privilege to break them
    there are plenty of glass windows, break and pay
    ceramic plates are good too, there is sounds !!!

Jislizard likes this.
  13. alor

https://boldpreciousmetals.com/product/silver-100-gm-combi-assorted-weight/

$98.38 is a better price