Kook's are now $24.50

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverDJ, Nov 13, 2018.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

article must be dated some time ago
    it did not consider many events and factors and considerations
    it used to be very hard to get ASE in big quantity in my local, and did not make sense to have done it...in the past there were GST etc
    in last 10 years, many online dealers are competing for the thinnest margin
    the internet has make the prices comparison on the click of buttons
    forum like this as well help members discussions and better deals

2. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice pic. I found the site while searching for pamp kilo, but got away with 10 oz coasters in the end. :D

3. alor

collection is at The Central Clarke Quay

4. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Try calling around a few shops and asking what they will pay for your coins (govt, generic rounds, etc). You will suddenly not understand why anything has a premium. It is a sobering experience that will really change your outlook on PM coins.

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yeah, I'm sure they'll take less than spot for them. Lol. eBay is the way to unload, but have to factor in the eBay fee. but I have a slew of these in Perth rolls...even with silver at 14, these seem to be doing okay? just a couple of examples. Now those are from 2004/2006, and lower mintages. Obviously there is something to these semi numi pieces and why they still carry a premium? Granted a local coin dealer could careless. Thanks goodness for eBay even with their crazy fee. Lol. Local coin shops will go the way of dinosaurs.

Although, I think they need slow down on the 25k and 50k series pieces - swans, paradise, emu, etc...I think the last swan is out next year. Birds of Paradise is 4 and Emu, not sure...but I think they should do okay over time...but who knows, right?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...rra.TRS0&_nkw=2004+silver+kookaburra&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...okaburra&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_stpos=29926

6. alor

the arguments about seller getting the highest price and buyer trying their best to get below spots...never actually materialised since the PM dealers are interested in moving their inventory and margins.

what is hard to sell if price is decreasingly lower and more appealing to buyers.

when roll of monkey coins cost $23 per coin. who really in a rush to get a pig at $29.50

7. tongkat

tongkat Active Member Silver Stacker

That you can still get S2 pig, dog, monkey, goat and rooster at Ainslie for about the same $$ makes me wary of lunars future value

8. alor

there is a buy back price stated on their (online dealers) page
    so it will be the same if one call in to check

9. alor

not many want monster boxes any longer, since they already have them too many
    market forces is eroding those perceived premium slowly and milk spots are catching up with the price tank
    reversing to the mean averages of premium of all minted coins, they are just too many series going on
    i got the rooster for $28 for a fair price as compared to buying them when first on sale back in 2016
    got the monkey for $23.50 recently
    the premium are comparable to many other coins
    the huge premium still will continue to vanished just like "ordinary countries"

10. sgbuyer

I was able to buy from a local low premium dealer, Lunar monkey, goat and rooster kilo and coasters for about 14-15% and 16-17% premium respectively. As silver prices were dropping, I hesitated and bought only a one or two at a time, but I noticed that as the months goes by, yes, it's very slow, but gradually the stocks are being bought out, especially for the monkey. It's either I wait for Silver price to drop or risk missing the coin.

Unlike in Australia, there's virtually no secondary market for the big lunar coins - at least at a reasonable premium, so getting from a dealer is the only option. I would like to buy kilo coins on this forum, but it will cost me an extra $65 for the express post to Singapore. With silver price falling, it's difficult to justify the $65 extra for shipping, not to mention the risk of it being lost.

With falling silver prices, the generic low premium silver I bought in April have become lumps of depreciating rocks. If I could, I would have bought 2015-2018 Lunars or QBs instead of generic silver then, of course, it would be cheaper to buy now - with the exception of 2016-2017 QB which are sold out.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  11. alor

yes, I waited till last moment to snap up the QB coins 2oz, and missed out on the Griffin n ended up later have to get it from Perth Bullion for cheaper and also just before they run out
    then decided to get Falcon on pre-order that got delayed for 1-2 weeks, had I waited for this drop...it only save $0.20 each coins for 10 is just 2 bucks

12. sgbuyer

perth bullion postage to singapore is very expensive?

13. alor

yes cost 40+ and 20+ fees
    but $60 in total is all need to pay, where else the QB Griffin coin each is $157
    it is still cheaper even if had I get just a single coin
    I bought other junks as well

14. sgbuyer

Interesting to know that 2017 2oz QB Griffin are now more expensive than 2016 QB lion. :)

15. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I’ve bought this but I wonder why is there a premium for these in the secondary market?

It’s Royal Mint coin after all and their mintage conditldion means RM can mint more of any coin in the series until they close the series or am I wrong?

Ie minting of any coin in the series is not final until after RM declare it after the end of the series. So they can mint X more griffins at anytime before they do

16. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^ My understanding is that with the QB series there is no mintage limit, but as soon as they release each coin, they stop producing the coin that came before it, and won't mint anymore, so that gives the series a limited feel to it I guess

I assume final mintage figures will be released at the completion of the series

sgbuyer likes this.
  17. alor

someone must have bought large quantity of 2 oz griffin before, hence caused the dealer to adjusted up their price
    elsewhere the price differentials are much more even <2 to >20 for the first coin so on
    there are plenty of QB coins in UK and EU

18. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

@Soprano16 there's overlap I think - their policy states they mint each bullion coin for approx 12 months, but they are releasing QB's twice per year.

Standard Alloy Theme Fine Oz / Size Mintage Limit DStE* March 2018
    Bullion GOLD Dragon 0.25 No Limit 10,421
    Bullion GOLD Dragon 1 No Limit 14,456
    Bullion GOLD Griffin 0.25 No Limit 10,758
    Bullion GOLD Griffin 1 No Limit 13,159
    Bullion GOLD Lion 0.25 No Limit 20,094
    Bullion GOLD Lion 1 No Limit 22,707
    Bullion GOLD Unicorn 0.25 No Limit 10,193
    Bullion GOLD Unicorn 1 No Limit 12,268
    Bullion GOLD Bull 0.25 No Limit 5,066
    Bullion GOLD Bull 1 No Limit 5,612
    Bullion Platinum Dragon 1 No Limit 3,020
    Bullion Platinum Griffin 1 No Limit 3,051
    Bullion Platinum Lion 1 No Limit 4,135
    Bullion SILVER Dragon 2 No Limit 195,263
    Bullion SILVER Dragon 10 No Limit 5,077
    Bullion SILVER Griffin 2 No Limit 183,939
    Bullion SILVER Griffin 10 No Limit 8,286
    Bullion SILVER Lion 2 No Limit 259,204
    Bullion SILVER Lion 10 No Limit 16,305
    Bullion SILVER Unicorn 2 No Limit 155,700
    Bullion SILVER Bull 2 No Limit 107,564
    *Despatched Sales to End March 2018

Noteworthy the RM Mintage Policy for Bullion coins:

A *cease* of production is usually announced approximately 12 months after the launch date of a new bullion coin product. This is approximate as it is dependent on varying factors, including production and manufacturing schedules and capabilities, but typically is within a few weeks of the 12 month window. The 10oz Silver Queens Beast Dragon for example, which launched on 19th March 2018, will cease towards the end of March/beginning of April 2019. The date of course will remain the same on the coin for the duration.

sgbuyer, mongrelmaple and Soprano16 like this.
  19. milled

milled Active Member

that list is mostly Australian coins and that is because from an investment point of view they have been poor. I have PM bought in 2008 that cost 30 dollars then and the markup was much higher than the 3 or 6 dollars in that article. What I wonder is that the author was taken to the woodshed buying Aussie coins and hell hath no fury like a lover scorned.

Right now the market's appetite is quite low, so there is no demand for items heavily marked up on pure marketing. In the end it is silver. The same applied to predecimal and round fifties at one stage. All are now trading at or around spot.

If you are to buy anything, it should be close to spot and aimed at a future market which currently does not exist (ie children need time to grow into adults). You would have to think what they would be interested in buying.

They might want funnel web spiders, who knows. Those traded almost at spot several years ago at the most recent equivalent low.

If I was buying, I would buy anything close to spot with the potential to carry a premium in the future. Additionally, the future is trending towards cash sales being illegal above a certain amount (I think it was around 1000 euros (may be higher, but still not great) in France and in July this year in our own country 10,000 if memory serves).

All that is required then is the elimination of higher denomination cash and bracket creep through steady inflation. That all ties in with the push to cashless jurisdictions and that requires a fairly long time frame.

Large silver bars are therefore maybe not the best form although carry the lowest premium traditionally. It seems a better investment time considering the spread to buy low weight items with future appeal.

jultorsk and SlyGuy like this.
  20. milled

milled Active Member

Royal Australia Mint should factor in to the worst of all Aussie items in an opinion list as these are consistently high spread, even in this market