$13 silver might be possible

Discussion in 'Silver' started by leon1998, Feb 14, 2015.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Here we are again US$13 silver

upload_2018-11-14_19-22-54.png

SlyGuy likes this.
  3. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm starting to see some talks on other forums about silver dropping to $4 or $5/oz.

SlyGuy likes this.
  4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

In 2011 at $40-50 I started to see some talks on other forums about silver rising to $100 or $200/oz

sammy, leo25 and SlyGuy like this.
  5. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Talk is just talk. If people really believed it, they would guarantee their projections (ie, buy long or short options). The vast majority of them will not, so that is how you know it is simply their opinion.

If you google Benjamin Graham's "Mr. Market," you will have a healthy grasp of how to conceptualize market pricing and how to interact with it (if you choose to do so at all).
    You shouldn't ever be upset the market is going up or down... just be very glad that it is moving up and down.

6. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just got back from Goldstackers and found out they were very low or sold out of several 1kg silver bars. Was told it was due to a busy couple of weeks with lots of people buying. I guess it may have something to do with big drops in stock markets.

While waiting I spoke to another customer there who look at me and said to me "we're all fearing the worst and stocking up for what's coming!". I said "yeah something like that". Funnily when I left GS and arrived at Guardin Vaults he was there and we both looked at each other again and smiled.

bennybbc likes this.
  7. alor

are we really weaving good bye to the low price in silver ???
    Palladium is testing new high every week

8. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why does palladium cost a lot more then platinum? I thought they were both mainly used for autocatalysts, so wouldn't the cheapest one be preferred? What am i missing?

9. alor

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-set-for-record-on-china-demand-matthey-says

https://investingnews.com/daily/res...-climb-thanks-to-chinese-automotive-industry/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-falls-for-sixth-straight-week-idUSKCN1NL04C

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news-fas...-record-on-tight-supply-bets-on-china-demand/

Palladium Demand to Climb Thanks to China’s Automotive Industry

Citigroup has projected more production shortfalls, and said in a report this week that “extreme tightness” in the palladium market could help drive prices to as high as $1 300 in the second quarter of 2019.

Palladium consumption in the devices used to clean up exhaust fumes will rise to a record in 2018 as the appetite for gasoline vehicles increases, according to a report from Johnson Matthey Plc. Chinese automotive sales are a main driver, with tougher pollution control forcing carmakers to increase the amount of precious metal they use.

“The prospect of significant growth in Chinese palladium loadings has moved closer, because it looks increasingly likely that some cities and provinces will implement” new regulations early, Peter Duncan, the general manager of market research at U.K.-based Matthey, said in the report. “This could happen as early as next year and would result in a double-digit increase in palladium consumption on Chinese cars.”

Platinum, meanwhile, will suffer a double whammy as fewer new diesel automobiles are sold and older ones are scrapped, feeding the supply-side with metal harvested from old catalytic converters. Diesel vehicles, which use more platinum, have become less popular after some automakers admitted to cheating in emissions tests to gain regulatory approval.

The platinum market will move further into surplus in 2018 as a rise in industrial demand is outweighed by the decline in autocatalyst consumption and less investment buying. Mine production will remain weak, Matthey said.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  10. leo25

non of that address the question i asked. Since both platinum and palladium have the same chemical interaction to be used as a autocatalysts, why would a company use a metal that cost a lot more?

Is it maybe that palladium was normally the cheaper metal, so everyone switch over. But now palladium cost a lot more they will switch back over to platinum, but it takes a bit of time to switch. Then palladium price will drop and platinum will go back up until an equilibrium is achieved.

Platinum is the green/red colour and palladium is the blue/purple colour.

plat vs palla.jpg

11. alor

no, the relationship does not go that way
    if Russia will help out with 5% of the demand force, the price will stop increasing and the usage will continue to expand (with oil price down, more car being built)
    elsewhere Pt will continue to go down until it hit the rock bottom before reversing
    left right let right ...
    the low of Pt is 400, so it will likely to break the 800 support and 600 support and as well test 400 support (most pessimistic picture)
    low in Pd is 200, it is testing all time high of 1200 but as compared to the high of Pt of 2200+
    so by the same substitution logic Pd has a lot of room to test the high 2200+ before making a 180 reversal

12. leo25

well if platinum gets back down to $400 ill buy up and wait for the reversal to sell off. Very erratic market where a lot of money can be made (and lost).

Ag likes this.
  13. alor

its never easy to buy near the low
    Pd was below 200 in 2009, everything freeze, stocks was the better buy with QE money
    Ag is near 14, people are looking at Bit coins crashing, property down 30% etc

14. sgbuyer

I considered buying a 1 oz pt coin when the price was $780 but didn't as the spread is too large.

15. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

People that don't believe what they say themselves have a lie not an opinion.

SlyGuy likes this.
  16. sgbuyer

Got myself this week from another stacker a kilo Pamp for $650. Works to US$14.77/oz. My cheapest buy so far. Will it go lower?

leo25 likes this.
  17. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Spot price might certainly go lower but think its pretty much the bottom for buying physical metals. Post GFC saw $9/oz Ag (USD) but a 1kg bar here was $615ish (AUD). Issue was finding a seller. Most silver investors were underwater but happy to hold and buy more (if and when they could get it)

So how do I guess when's the bottom for physical? by following the spread (difference between buy and sell) on dealers sites. The dealer sell/retail price will only drop a little as the spot goes down but the buyback price will continue to follow the falling spot price. In other words the spread percentage will get larger. During bull runs, the spread difference as a percentage or dollar amount will narrow. Naturally more point's need to be considered with the above but the dealer's replacement costs for stock will have the biggest impact on his/her retail price and therefore on your price to purchase.

18. sgbuyer

Agree that we might see $600 AUD. Resale premiums have gone down for branded bars and semi-nums in the last couple of months.

Ag likes this.
  19. alor

SLV was the result of option being exercised at $12 when spot was $8.50 total of 129 million ounces
    at the time there was only one such silver holder who claimed to have sold too early
    if you want the metal, there is no escaping paying the premium at the time was 40%
    buying at the bottom spot price is not the same as paying the spot price for metal

milled and Ag like this.
  20. sgbuyer

So I guess when people started talking about $4 or $5/oz silver, that will be the bottom?

Avi is right in that markets are driven by sentiments - when there's extreme pessimism, the market may have bottomed... at least for now.