Great new bullion series from the Royal MInt: The Queens Beasts

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Mar 25, 2016.

1. reaver

reaver Active Member

Been checking everyday! I'll be ordering.
    Now if only the 1 oz 2019 PM pigs would come down in price :confused:

Soprano16 likes this.
  2. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hah, I was checking every day for ages too, then decided to email them last week and they told me they should be available within a week or so, and today they finally showed up

I'll be getting a Falcon, Pig and Kook to update my sets. They don't sell out, so I might just wait until Jan to order so I can grab the Koala too

3. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Yeah, that's what stopped my interest in this 2oz series also. Just like the 1.5oz Canada coins, some were nice, but getting special sized capsules is a pain. The capsules that come from any mint are junk, and I always upgrade to Air Tite ones.

And even though the specialty capsules are only about $1.50 for Queen Beasts 2oz, that is still about 5% of the coin cost and 3-5x what regular capsules cost. Adding to already substantial premium is tough; every bit matters on silver.

...I like that they try neat ideas to keep people collecting... just wish these were regular 1oz Brits, though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  4. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

What are you talking about? I collect mainly basic 1oz silver ASEs and Brits (have hundreds of each), and my average cost paid is at least $1USD cheaper on the Brits.

In the USA at least, it seems to go like this for the main government mint coins: Panda > Libertad > Eagle > Brit > Maple. I don't really know where Philharm or Aussie coins fit in there because I don't much care for them and own very few (have only gotten those incidentally when buying mixed lots of coins).

5. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone got the 1oz gold or 10oz silver?

6. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2oz Silver capsules for these are easily available

Several dealers sell them, as do eBay sellers

jultorsk likes this.
  7. sgbuyer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    mongrelmaple likes this.
  8. sgbuyer

Plenty of videos and photos of 2 oz QB with milkspots on the internet. But has anyone seen milk spots on the 10 ounces? I've just gotten 2 griffins, lots of small specks across the Queen's side. I fear milk spots that will destroy any premium so didn't buy more.

9. sgbuyer

Are these specs normal? It actually looks bigger than it appears in the photo.

[​IMG]

10. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Yes, as expected - poor quality from RM. Even the gold coin is rough on the edge.

11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

its bullion coins with very good designs, if I want a very shinny silver, better get a mirror
    its not proof coins with spots
    its basic bullion that can be sold at spots, lucky if people would pay more in the future

12. alor

https://thesilverforum.com/topic/17479-queens-beast-bullion-coins/?do=findComment&comment=213406

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"
    Since the coin was supplied in it's capsule from the Royal Mint there is no merit in naming and shaming the supplier who is not to blame.
    The supplier did send me this response -

" I've checked your photos carefully.
    We've contacted the Royal Mint several times about these issues and always receive the same answers.
    We are told it is a BU coin ; only PROOF quality coins are flawless.
    We have plenty of Royal Mint coins with similar marks as on your photos.
    It is the avarage quality a 10 oz silver UNICORN coin, unfortunately.
    During production process the coins bump against each other, some show deeper marks.
    We are always sent away with same words: nothing wrong, it corresponds to what you have to expect from a BU coin."

Doesn't make you want to break out the Union Jack and fly it from the rooftop.

"

13. sgbuyer

I'm ok with dings caused by rough handling during production process. As a newbie who hasn't been long enough in the hobby to see milk spots, i fear milk spots more. Some of the photos I see on the Internet are horrible.

[​IMG]

SlyGuy likes this.
  14. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

The bigger coins really do show defects a lot more readily. I am collecting the US Mint America the Beautiful 5oz set, and I have a couple with pretty significant scuffing or minor edge denting... from both reputable bullion dealers and from eBay sellers. I normally stay away from higher premium coins, but I got most of them for around $100 US with silver having depressed prices this year, and it's the only set over 1oz that the US Mint has ever tried. We shall see, but while I'm fairly impressed thus far with the look of them, I certainly don't expect to make much profit on the set due to high premiums and having to buy large AirTites and storage case.

I would echo that you really can't complain about defects on BU coins, though. You always will just get the dealer referring you to the mint... and the mint saying that is how bullion coins are. The only way to avoid that is to buy in person at coin shops or shows... or online auctions where they have good pics of the actual coin you will receive. My whole goal on the ATB 5oz series is just to get good or very good looking BU coins without major defects and get them as close to spot price as possible (not proof-like, but not badly scuffed or scratched either). I mainly buy from individuals... who were probably planning to collect the set, then realized a 56 coin 5oz set costs much more money and time than they have available. Even with buying them all brand new or from sellers with pics of the coins, I have had quality problems with a decent amount of them. The only times I've expressed dissatisfaction are when an eBay seller was clearly using pics of a different coin than the one I was sent (pics had no edge dent, deep scratch, etc... but my coin I received did). That is bogus.

I continue to be amazed that so many people bother to get silver graded or pay extra for high grades when a good looking minted coin doesn't mean it will stay that way. In addition to production defects, silver is a metal that tarnishes, tones, and spots. That is just its very nature. I don't think US Mint has ever had a problem with milk spotting, but I fully expect some ugly toning or other discolor on the ATB coins I bought after awhile also (just like you see on some ASE). I've had no reservations breaking open several of the 5oz coins I've bought out of slabs since slabs take too much space and BU coins are obviously a high grade to begin with. It seems silly to grade them, and unless they get graded MS70 for this series, they don't seem to sell for any higher price than a good looking ungraded of the same design. Many of my ungraded ones look better than the graded MS68 or 69s which I bough simply because they were the cheapest of that coin at the time.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  15. alor

its a lot of money and time spent to collect 57 of 5oz coins, with time span this long... I do get the quarter proof in display sets (small coins)
    I prefer the QB for the shorter time spent, and spent my time collecting silver poured bars from many people to get their handy works pieces

16. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

Question about the Queen's Beasts = I have the unicorn, the dragon, the bull, and the lion. I'll get the falcon soon - the only one I lack is the Griffin, and I can't find the 2oz for under $70. The thought of paying that much for 2oz of silver gives me heart burn. Is it worth it to have a complete set?

17. whay

whay Well-Known Member

It is worth every cent if you like a set with milk spots.........:)

18. Shallow_explorer

Shallow_explorer Member

I haven’t experienced a problem with white spots on the QBs. What you really need to watch for is the queen’s shaving nicks. Lots of scratched up queens out there. Lions and Griffins are the worst offenders.

19. sgbuyer

By shaving nicks, do you mean this pic posted by alor? I've plenty of tiny specs on my QB coasters though. None are flawness. Hopefully no milkspots later, or I'll be writing off the 20% premium.

Recently I took out some lunar 10 ouncers to take a look, they don't have this problem, although I must admit that specs or no specs, the lunars look much less appealing visually than the QB coasters.

[​IMG]

20. whay

whay Well-Known Member

To me those shaving nicks are just imperfections, milk spots are abominations