Gram gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by pug, Jul 2, 2018.

1. SilAuOz

SilAuOz Member

Thankyou very much for your response.

2. SilAuOz

SilAuOz Member

Thankyou ....

3. Nancy Willian

Nancy Willian New Member

I wonder if wholesalers who sell gold coins cut them in half using the good old infinite pizza trick. This pic reminded me of that

4. Nancy Willian

Nancy Willian New Member

Thinking about that^, you could do the same for gold bars lol.

5. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Yep. I'm all for people buying and collecting whatever they like, but people simply don't think these things through.

A major strength of gold is as a compact and dense store of major value. I wouldn't go below 1oz gold coins or bars... and if you can't afford that, you should be buying silver or saving more. The blister-packed gram gold pieces completely defeat the purpose of being able to store and hide and transport gold's value compactly and easily. The fractionals are also much less liquid at coin shows and coins stores, ebay, etc than the 1oz coins.

...it depends how you define it, but I concur that SHTF just won't happen. In a short term situation disaster situation (usually weather related) where the power or roads are compromised for a few days or so, you should have stocked non-perishable foods, candles, cutting tools, water + bottles, emergency radio, and useful stuff. The key is weathering the storm. Gold certainly doesn't help you there.
    A long term or worldwide SHTF just won't happen. Even if a civil unrest or disaster did take awhile to clean up locally (ie Argentina economy or Haiti hurricane), stopping to barter and interact with random hungry and scared people would be one of the dumbest things you could ever do; you'd likely end up robbed or worse. In those situations, you'd be best served to keep to yourself, have a very low profile, and simply flee to a more stable neighboring region or state or country when possible, so you'd would want compact and transportable metals in that case. The fractionals would be more a burden to transport than larger pieces and tougher to sell once you got out of the disaster zone.

.If you want fractionals, silver fits the bill pretty well. I wouldn't consider them for barter, though... consider them for profit. And yeah, stick with half and quarter oz ones... the 1/10 and gram ones are just too small in size/weight and in value. In hot silver markets, premiums on everything go up. That is the only argument I could see for wanting fractionals. Assuming you bought in a low/medium market, then you will make money selling 1oz coins on ebay in a hot market, but you make significantly more for each four 1/4 oz coins you sell. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    JOHNLGALT and Ipv6Ready like this.
  6. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Great post,great advice, well done except that you are probably discounting that TS can't possibly H T Fan.
    Remember that we are all on the interlocked 'FIAT PONZIE (Paper & Digits)' now.
    When you assume orderly markets(?), you are assuming ebay will be up and running in an orderly fashion. Good luck (planning is probably what gives you the LUCK) _JOHNLGALT. (from Silver Doctors.the usual).
    p.s. love your avatars, you get a like for that.
    Hope that's not RAYCISS, or SEGCISS lol.

My SHTF go-to is...
    1.Tenth oz Silver.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    SilAuOz likes this.
  7. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

It is true that fiat currency can collapse, but a currency collapse doesn't mean 'SHTF' anarchy and people bartering.

Italy, Greece, Argentina, the majority of Slavic and USSR countries, and many others have 'collapsed' from weak GDP and/or currency overprinting in the last hundred years. It is not the end of the world, it is a short term strain locally, moderate short term effect among the country's major trade partners... but barely noticed internationally. There were not miles and miles of cars being set on fire and people carrying AK47s and trading grams of silver and gold for buckets of apples. No, there was simply a drastic loss of purchasing power for that currency outside the country... and a moderate to large loss of purchasing power for that currency within the country.

Most of those countries are still that way: if you take the paycheck of an engineer or a teacher or a carpenter in Macedonia or Argentina or Georgia... well, they can live fine on that money in their own country. However, if they tried to move to a more prosperous country or buy things online, their money doesn't even go nearly as far. From Romans to Persia to England to USA, we have seen that again and again throughout history where one civilization will grow and prosper, expand, live large, and then eventually crumble from within. USSR is the major example from modern history.

Life went on, though... no SHTF with cannibalism or mass looting or average people living in garbage bag tents. They just adjust and lower their standard of living by driving older cars, doing the best they can on medical care with dated tech and only generic pharma, not fixing up buildings as much and doing very little new construction... and eventually they can try to start rebuilding. Yes, a currency collapse means the standard of living will drop. It would be like if you suddenly went from working for 10x or 5x minimum wage to working for minimum wage. It sucks, but life is not over. For many people who don't prepare adequately (regardless of what country), that's what retirement looks like, lol.

In all of those stories, silver or gold could have a role of wealth preservation. However, in none of those was it ever needed directly for barter. You'd usually have been best off having the most compact and transportable and readily liquidated store of wealth (probably 1oz gold and 1-100oz silver coins/bars), high tailing it out of there to a neighboring country that was more stable, and starting over there... eventually returning to the collapse country to visit friends or family if you desire. JMO

paruwka, yuripuka and JOHNLGALT like this.
  8. aelmsu

aelmsu Member

Personally I keep a 1g card as my pocket/wallet piece. It's pretty low risk and nice to look at :)

SilAuOz and JOHNLGALT like this.
  9. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I keep a one ounce silver coin on my bedside table to play with at night coz of how my stack is in a SDB and don't get to look at that much.

SilAuOz and aelmsu like this.
  10. Ele

Ele New Member

Hello
    I would not buy 1g gold due to the high premium but I did this year. Tavex in Bulgaria is having subscription 1g gold bar - buy 1 1g gold bar for 12 months and get 13th for free. So I went for the max pieces - 5. The sell price is app. $44 per 1g which on my opinion is very good. Basically the 13rd one covers the premium at the prices now.

I do not see gold (especially) as an investment. For me it is a form of wealth preservation.

SlyGuy and SilAuOz like this.
  11. Balance8

Balance8 Member

It's very simple, after a major economic collapse, even 1g will be too much. So why not have silver or copper? Because currencies will most likely be backed by gold. It's not like silver can be a smaller denomination of gold, they are separate markets, yes they influence each other but they are separate markets still.

These are for the shtf guy not for a collector or investor. Find out what your philosophy/theory is on pm's and you'll know what you need.

JOHNLGALT likes this.