More annoying copper questions

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by copperhead, Apr 28, 2018.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I don't want to burden any one with copper concepts to much as this is a true PM forum . My copper stack has built up and recently I picked up 100 ounces in 5 ounce buffalo coins at $1 per ounce They are really nice .
    All my past copper purchases on Ebay have higher value now . If I was to start selling all past purchase's and my recent new purchases at a profit of 20% to 25 % Clear ,
    is it a good direction or should I just sit longer, year or two
    I don't care if it takes 2 years to sell what I have as long as I earn the percent profit that I will reinvest in either Copper or Silver ( A business ) start small and grow it.
    All thats getting in my way is my hoarding instinct .

2. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

I am the last person to listen to for financial advice but for what it is worth:

Are you saying that you can already profit from selling your stack while at the same time being able to source prices that make it worth growing the stack?

It seems like speculating for two years might not be better than just trading while you know that it is profitable to do so.

Just my financially illiterate take on it.

Profit is profit.

Is it more likely that you will see a 40% profit in two years or that you'll be able to double your stack in two years by selling at a 'lower' profit % now?

If the price of copper triples tonight and stays there all week but drops back down to 20% profit for you by the time you noticed the temporary price rise....

...Are you someone who feels cheated? ...or successful?

3. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

The Copper Bullion market in regards to coins and bars is narrow & regulated to on line selling.
    Silver and Gold dealers will some times have two coins for the heck of it but , absolutely meaningless .
    Copper is sold on-line through many sources with little regard to the copper spot market . If a drastic drop occurred
    like copper at .75 cents a pound . that would be a game changer as would copper at $5.00 bucks a pound .
    But for now copper in the last 8 years has been from $2 in change to $3 and change with no cause and effect to the on-line market
    ---------------
    My view of the copper bullion market is ,
    it is being developed slowly . interesting bars and large coins are sold
    periodically then NO MORE . I see it as a fake self creating market of rarity
    but a market all the same . It's going to be up-to humanity . At this time enough people stack Silver and Gold
    20 years out copper might join the fray and the the foundation might be building as this time .
    -------------------
    Thats why I wonder should I sell now or just hoard it away , My Copper purchase's represent about $20 for every $125 I spend in Silver or Gold
    but reality is reality eventually $20 after $20 you end up with heavy copper bullion monster boxes to contend with , it might be good or might of been better just to have ounces of Silver tangible is tangible & copper is that also

4. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

Knowing now what you've just mentioned, it sounds like you're onto something.

That now sounds like it is less than an obstacle and more of an asset. If it was me with your knowledge, it appears that I'd be wanting to sit on my stack for a bit until the public caught up.

copperhead likes this.
  5. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I try to keep the investment amount low with copper in case the public never catches up .
    So when I order $100 in Silver to get the free shipping I go for that extra push for $20 in copper
    if it's 1 ounce copper coins I figure at least I'm getting a plastic coin tube in the deal also .

Still copper is special , I always am intrigued by Gold , Silver , Copper - cause it was utilized by people's before us
    the use's for copper was REAL needed tools . Gold and Silver was originally more artistic and that might of been of great importance in the development
    of humanities continued abstract thinking and naturally the development of currency's .
    Gold and Silver have grown into necessity in the communication age medical age
    Use of Copper in industrial society never stops - It's got Value !

https://cuverro.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw...YqodBrmovy7AnA3ArvNHj24ToTW-uKTAaAiwFEALw_wcB

Golden Monkey likes this.
  6. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

7. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I think I finally figured the copper as bullion concept .
    My stumbling block was the fact that I find it free and sell it based on spot price.
    thats any type of beat up crapped out copper
    ----------
    In turn silver has it's comparing side Generic rounds that sell as per spot price
    if silver is dented scratched , even smash it with a hammer , it's still silver
    -----------
    Generic rounds = Base metal Copper
    --------
    Silver has it's collector side
    Numismatic silver coins
    Panda's
    Proof 's
    You name it , the list of Numismatic collator coins is endless
    Yet to the crude sliver stacker at the end of the day it's SLIVER
    --------------
    So copper bullion is building up so one day well made Bullion bars & rounds
    are not seen as Base metal Copper but as a type of copper Numismatic .
    ----------------
    Numismatic silver coins = Copper Numismatic bars & rounds
    Sure it's not currency , but the attempt is the creation of value as the end result
    so yes I am
    stretching the Numismatic word in a different direction of original intent
    ---------------
    At the end of the day it's SLIVER
    At the end of the day it's COPPER
    -------------
    Future generations will decide what has ultimate value or not
    The Numismatic value development is facilitated
    by human Vanity and self absorbed reality .
    both need a specialized customer seeking what is
    consider rare .
    ----------------
    For sake of curiosity take a look at the IKE forium
    there are people who consider copper clad IKE's
    very valuable and pay according based on criteria
    that leave a silver stacker as I saying Waaa

http://www.ikegroup.info
    ----------------

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  8. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

If you can see a clear profit now, and think waiting is a good bet, flip it now and buy more physical with it.
    That will leave you holding more and offset your risk. Splitting your investments across different metals might also be a good idea.
    It may very well drop with advent of some unknown factor...following is an example.
    Work on high conductivity graphene products could change the demand for copper conductors, there is a new method for making things like buss bars and wire without all the copper.
    http://graphenexl.com/lighter-more-conductive-wires-than-copper/

copperhead likes this.
  9. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Once I found some wire & thought I hit a nice find But turned out to be Fiber optics wire
    wile not made of same material it does show how man/ woman kind develop replacements
    for Good Old Copper , Carbon nanotubes looks to be the replacement of copper wire .
    Pex Pipe took a % of copper out of homes
    Carbon nanotubes is next . I wonder if Carbon Nano... can replace other
    application's like motors
    I could be wrong but always figured if copper could be reduced from the free find scrapper industry
    then copper bullion might develop value based on scarcity BUT if future copper has a major price drop
    from a substantial Decline ( and this looks to be it ) then that would change copper's future bullion value

10. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

No idea which way that situation would drive the price, it is interesting to think about, I am trying to come up with another commodity that has been through the same or similar situation...once it stops being in modern devices in bulk, the scrappers will hunt out all the old pipes and motors and such. That kind of rarity should push it up but if the metal yards are not paying for it because industry is not chasing then the old motors and stuff will just become antique relics of the past.
    That info about killing MRSA superbugs could be thing that keeps it high. Swapping out all the hospital fittings with copper door plates and hand rails and brass taps, would make our hospitals way more healthy, like how nano-silver gets put in band-aids and wound dressings have improved wound care and added demand for silver.

11. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Not that I would wish regulation's , but if swapping hospital fittings with copper door plates and hand rails and other items could really limit germ
    transfer.
    Regulations could come about requiring it .
    I'd like to know the ecological negatives of Carbon nanotubes , In time if C N could replace copper in many applications
    Much of it ends up in land fills . Massive future Carbon nanotubes trash could add to the current Plastic trash problems in oceans and land fills

https://www.azonano.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=981

Copper may shift in use's but valueless I don't think so
    Humans have been using copper since 9000 BC
    it's use will continue for somethings but maybe less .

12. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

13. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

consider how they formed it and think about where self assembled carbon was first discovered(in coke furnaces), I think it is pretty safe to say it has been with us a lot longer than we have known about it. They can form in furnaces, in chimney's, anywhere there is a lot of available carbon and heat. I never heard of anyone overdosing on charcoal, and carbon being the major component of our life form I expect it would be quite bio-compatible. Breaking down in landfill should be quite fast. I think it is a pretty safe thing. That idiot in the youtube clip saying we don't know of it dangerous or not made me laugh, if they were concerned about it, they would have had have breathing protection on.
    It has also been found in old Damascus steel, creating that super strength it was known for. The tubes forming a composite in the steel!

copperhead likes this.
  14. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I came to a possible conclusion . For instance - if Silver, not plating but solid silver was used on door plates and hand rails for it's anti viral quality
    that would logically mess up our reasons for silver stacking .
    I'm thinking the same for Copper . One must except copper's position , it is an industrial metal that is all around us in one form or another & will continue to be around us . owning it in bullion form is a hedge of a portion of money you spent .
    Stacker's look deep into aspects metals but hypothetically IF some day all door plates and hand rails were replaced by copper & the general public got used to seeing it all about then copper bullion's position will be then as now an industrial metal .

15. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

I am enjoying this thread, thinking about a metal that is sort of "on the edge" of being proper currency,(is that the right way think about copper?).
    I guess the most important thing is it HAS worth. A value that is publicly available information. But I have to go to the scrapyard to turn it into fiat, whereas gold or silver I can walk into a retail space and turn it into fiat. Maybe that is a measure of whether a metal has made it to the big time or not...where you are able to flip it. Retail space vs. Industrial space...maybe you could create more "worth" by setting up popup stores in big malls that buy copper bars !;)

16. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

17. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

popup stores to buy copper bars could work but the accelerated price above current market spot is an issue unless it can be excepted that the creation of Bullion has a cost that the current value of copper can't absorb with out us noticing as silver .
    Like stated people have gotten crazy over items that are paper or cloth so in that regard a copper bar is real
    I think I need take proper pictures of what I have and put on Ebay & what sells at profit to allow reinvest to purchase same amt plus more
    would be the way to go , Sliver might even be the better metal to flow it back to .
    Yes interesting to consider what is being spoon fed to us Like the possibility of copper bars

Look at this ,
    it's serious business with future all over it
    OR
    is it a scam

https://www.apmex.com/product/103964/100-oz-copper-bar-geiger-poured-9999-fine

18. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

19. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Thats where the faith would have to come into play cause a scrap yard wont pay much more then $15 to $16 as bare bright
    Would enough people not consider that
    and create a market with no foundation . It's a big circular question
    As an example
    https://www.providentmetals.com/1997-china-1-oz-silver-panda-brilliant-uncirculated.html
    To each his own but for me NO NO NO
    i'll take $150 in Gold any day
    https://www.providentmetals.com/2018-1-10-oz-american-gold-eagle.html
    Or 8 silver coins with Change left over
    https://www.providentmetals.com/1-oz-silver-round-buffalo-provident-metals.html

This opens a door to debate but when you spend $150 on one ounce of silver you
    have to hope that type of customer stays in trend over the years
    There could be more collector priced silver coin's out in market hidden
    compared to people to buy if unique economic circumstances did abound .
    It's all about trusting a concept that it will store wealth
    Items above Spot have people convinced it's ok
    but is it ?
    https://www.providentmetals.com/20-saint-gaudens-pcgs-ms65-us-mint-gold-double-eagle.html

Copper 100 oz at $124
    who knows
    is it really any more obnoxious then a 1oz panda at $150

20. m3sca1

m3sca1 Active Member

I'd rather have 3 kgs of copper bar at that price. I would feel like I got much more value.