Perth Mint 2018 Silver Swan available

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverFalcon, Apr 24, 2018.

1. SilverFalcon

SilverFalcon Member Silver Stacker

FYI - Perth Mint have released the 2018 Silver Swan, limited to 10 per person and via phone order only.

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

10 per person? Wow. That sucks. Can’t even order a roll. Should be 20 for those who like to keep in rolls. Funny, but I did notice that for the 2018 Swans there is nowhere listed when order in rolls of 20 it comes in the Perth wrap. 2017’s mention it. I tell you what, mine better come in the Perth wrap...or man will they get shellacking from me.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Bullion Baron likes this.
  3. SilverFalcon

SilverFalcon Member Silver Stacker

apparently from Thursday you can order online and with no limitations but I doubt stock will last long. There was a guy in Brisbane on Gumtree trying to sell a 2017 Roll for $1800, he must of sold it cause its not for sale anymore.

4. Trident

Trident Member Silver Stacker

I've been watching the Apmex shenanigans...

2018 BU first listed yesterday for 27USD - then upped to 37USD - now sitting at 47.75USD.

They have the 2017 bullion version 104USD.

5. barsenault

I wish I got some from the shenanigans at 27.00. Lol

6. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With the release now of the 2018 Swan what’s the thoughts on the premium this will add to the 2017 if any

7. barsenault

I doubt they’ll go up much more. They’re already selling for about 60 on eBay. It is a bullion coin after all, with a mintage of 25k. Just my opinion.

8. exarmyguy

exarmyguy New Member

According to the Perth Mint site these are sold out already.

9. barsenault

10. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

you can buy as many as you like from Bullion Money too.
    https://bullionmoney.com.au/1-oz-swan-silver-coin-by-perth-mint.html

There seems to be very little interest at these stupid prices. People need to understand the difference between something being "sold out" at the Mint and something being sold out for real.

I'm getting really sick of all the fake demand with Perth Mint coins. Don't get sucked into buying due to FOMO. The reality is it's an average looking coin with very little demand.

11. barsenault

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I agree with the pump about them being sold out at the mint, but just starting to sell on the secondary market. I do think there is genuine interest in these. And over the long term I do believe it will be a good store of value. Just like the lower mintage kooks have done well over the years even with spot is at 17. For example, the 2004 or 2006 kooks.

12. leo25

To put what you said in prospective. A 2006 kookaburra is only a good investment if you paid a low price for it, they sell for about $65 (minus fees) on average. So if in say 5 years the 2018 swan sells for $65, it would only be a good investment if you paid say $35, if you paid $50 then it's not that good. Then you also have the issue of these coins taking a long time to sell at such high prices. So selling 40 coins might take you a year (once the hype is over).

If anyone really likes these coins then definitely buy one, but if you're only buying due to FOMO or thinking someone else is going to pay an even higher price for it then you should look elsewhere. These coins a WAY over valued and like with any investment you want to buy something that is undervalued, no over.

Soprano16 likes this.
  13. barsenault

Apmex seems to be selling a ton even at 47.00. Great discussion. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Here is where the kooks, and I'm betting the swans come into play. Say a person has a long term horizon on their radar - 15 - 25 years, and the price of silver goes to 70 and back to 15.00. The good thing about buying these low mintage semi-numi bullion coins is that they hold their value over the long term. I bought the 2006's for about 36.00 back when the re-minting craze happened. Some were upset, but I capitalized. Silver went from 30's down to 14, and it lingers at around 17, and yet those kooks I bought (1992 - 2006), have done just well during this down draft. If I needed to sell, I'd at least make a little dough or worst case, maybe break even on some. Better than holding eagles or maples during that downturn. You'd be lucky to sell to generic govt bullion for 17.00 right now. I think the swans will perform similar to the kooks over the long-term. Even is someone buys at 70, and silver dips to 15, there is no chance in heck those swans will dip to 15, there's only 25,000, the image is nice for a bullion coin (better than most - in my humble opinion). I know there are a lot of factors to consider, but those kooks even at the high price of 36.00 (back then) are doing just fine. I think the same will hold true for the Swans. Time will tell. 2017 Swans come down in value? Still selling for about 50 - 60...even with spot at 17.

jultorsk and Bullion Baron like this.
  14. leo25

what's your definition of a "ton" Whatever that amount is, it will be much less in a years time when the hype it over.

When you purchased the kooks the premiums were lower, so back then it was a good choice. That's no longer the case with the swan coin, so you have to stop using the kooks as an example. It's like if you paid $60 (2x spot) per kook back then, suddenly the kooks are not looking so good.

2017 swan is a much nicer coin and is more unique. Like with every coin series there are some that are worth more then others. But again if you paid $50 per coin then it hasn't done as good as if you paid $35. It all comes down to the premium you paid.

With the price of silver being rock bottom, i highly doubt it will drop much lower. So if silver doubled from $22AUD to $44 in a year you would have 2x your money and could sell large amounts very quickly and easily. Whereas i doubt the $48 swan coin would jump to $96 and if it somehow did you have the liquidity issues selling at that price.

15. justsilver

justsilver Active Member

From my observation, Apmex has tota 15,000 pcs

Sold around 5,000 pcs between USD$26+ to USD$30

Then price jumped several times to USD$46+

Apmex sold more than 1,500pcs at USD$46+

p.s. I bought 100pcs @ USD$26.85 and saw Apmex’s inventory decreased from 10,000 pcs till 5,000 pcs within 90 minutes then price started to increase dramatically.

16. barsenault

When I called them, the guy I know well said they had already sold 8,000 and that was around 9:45. He didn’t say in what period of time those 8000 were sold, but that was the number I was given. I haven’t called back since. I’d have to imagine they are close 12k sold, and that’s with the limit of 100 per household. How nuts is that? If it was 300 they would have sold out in no time, unless of course they bumped the price up quickly, which they would have done, learning the lesson from the 1st.

@Leo, I agree with you about the maximum gain is made out of the gate (1st to buy). Actually I was buying the re-minted kooks in the 35’s when the price of spot was 25’ish. The premiums were hefty. I think you can use silver pandas as a good example of premiums increasing in value over time. Will these do the same, time will tell. Who knows. I am glad I bought at 33 and not 47. But I’m bummed that I missed the train at 27...oh well. Lol.

17. leo25

Bullion Money can't seem to sell them at $37USD, so it boggles my mind why there is a lot of demand only at Ampex. Though at $46USD seems like demand has slowed right down.

Ampex have a known history of doing dodgy things to make it look like there is more demand then there really is.

18. barsenault

I’m not saying that they’re not dodgy...for sure they are. But folks do crazy things when buying from APMEX. As you know, some of their prices are ridiculously high with so many pieces they sell, and but yet they sell. I guess folks figure it’s a ‘trusted dealer’, and they’re willing to pay the extra. Not me. I’m cheap. Lol. But I agree. I think sales have come to a stall at 46. It was a quick jump from 27 to 46!

Although, I have to be honest, when I bought the 1st one, I got 5 rolls and paid 24.67 and sold all of them a week or so later for close to $50.00 per (sold the roll of 20). It was crazy. Now of course, if I had waited, probably could have sold for $60.00 per. Lol. But who’s complaining. Per the usual the 2nd won’t be nearly as popular as the #1. Just the nature of the beast. But if we can get to a stable 50.00...I’m happy. :).

leo25 likes this.
  19. leo25

You're the smart one, buy low and sell high. Nice quick turn over. The FOMO people buy high and then hope to sell higher. :p

20. barsenault

Indeed, I got lucky that first go around. Not so much this time. But I agree. Gotta move fast. But, I’m sure Apmex is holding on to more of these this time. They sold out pretty quick with the 2017’s. They weren’t going to let that happen again.