Silver Is Silver Is Premium??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lowtech, Mar 18, 2018.

?

What Silver Would You Prefer To Own?

1. Roll of 20 1oz Kooks, sealed.

2. 50oz Perth Mint Bar.

3. 30oz 1/4oz low premium, dented 999.

4. Knobhead.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

Hi, everyone.
    I'm curious as to what the majority of voters here would choose to find on a runway. Wrapped in pillows, of course.

2. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

1 Kg gold bar

swoydaz, jultorsk and Stoic Phoenix like this.
  3. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Survey is stupid, its like asking if you would prefer 10x$100 notes , 12x $50 notes or 45x$20 notes. If i prefered any item i would go for the most valuable item then sell it to get the item i want +$ difference.
    And that includes the roll of kooks being say 2008 worth $80 each etc. You obviously have a position to push but your logic is flawed, silver can have premiums attached that are not just based on size but also demand.

4. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

You could have picked choice #4 unless of course you took it to be as literal as I wrote it.

I agree.

It is what inspired the poll in the first place. If you were to give that same choice of notes to a note collector they might pick the dozen $50s because of some special pattern in the serial number.

I'm trying to get an idea of whether the majority of voters would take the ripped but legal $1000 or the consecutive numbered $600.

If I had a 'position' it would be that silver is silver. As far as 'pushing' it on this forum goes, that would be just preaching to the choir, I think.

I'm not sure of any logic you're referring to though. I just asked a question.

At this point in time, I would be seriously considering the 30oz of smaller stuff right now over the 50oz bar, just because right now, that is what I need more.

If you'd like to point out flawed logic, you can have that truth for free.

I don't understand it, either.

I stack for weight only and I find that if such a choice could appeal to someone with my somewhat strict low-premium-only rules, then I wondered what other people might think, as well.

What I was hoping to see was that the majority would pick the larger hunk of metal, but to assume that everyone would, is not something that I'd do.

So, I asked the question, including in it, this weeks most likely place to find precious metals laying around (runway) as a joke (my bad) and the addition of 'wrapped in pillows' was because I didn't want to play 20 questions about whether the Kookaburras are scratched or are a magical year or whatever.

The question isn't a trick, I honestly was curious, although that is turning into apathy, the more that I type, about such an insignificant subject.

5. serial

given that you just offered less weight for premium 5g bars in the sales thread im going to call bullshit on this statement. Offering 16oz (497g )for 100x5g bars is different to what you have said in this thread

6. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

Considering the cash deal that I did elsewhere, I call it not bullshit. That sales thread (see, I was not lying, I am chasing the smaller stuff right now) reply was just that the numbers lined up so nicely. Seemed pretty retarded to me to buy 1/2 kilo of silver for one kilo of silver.

PS, yes, I'm still chasing another 80 something ounces of fractional stuff but like the post says, ounce for ounce or thereabouts. Not double.

My original poll question was about which choice would you prefer to FIND. At no cost, not which would you like to shrink your stack by half a kilo for.

And as the prices that I've been seeing for smaller silver show, and my sales thread also shows, the 30oz of smaller stuff is CLEARLY what I'd rather find because any fool with $1000 can get the larger quantity 50oz Perth Mint bar.

7. serial

on the one hand you recognise the potential extra value that high premium items can have but then you state it is retarded to buy 1/2 a kilo of silver for the price of a kilos worth. you then say you would rather find $633 worth of silver than $1055 worth of silver because anyone can just buy a 50 oz bar?!?!
    you then ask to trade premium fractional silver for generic 1oz or larger ounce for ounce.
    I would suggest that if anyone is considering taking you up on this offer they should advertise to sell their fractional silver here as it is always popular in stackers and you will most likely end up with a premium better than oz for oz trades with a new member

8. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

No I don't. I recognize that lots of other people seem to think that and want to sell 1/2 kg of it for the price of a kg.

Is it not?
    Ok, so we agree that 30oz of 1/4oz coins are worth $633.

At Perth Bullion right now, this order costs over $1000, @ $8.40each if buying over 100. (30oz is 120) and a 50oz is $1130.

Being basically the same price and needing one more than the other, the scales are tipped in favour of the one that I am currently trying to fill an order for, the 1/4oz coins, so in this thread, the 30oz choice.

I asked nothing. I was offered 500g of pretty silver for a cash price of a kilo.
    I merely made a counter offer, saying that I'd trade 16oz of coins for it, as per the original subject of the sales thread. "I want fractional silver, ounce for ounce).

Half a kilo for half a kilo.

You then came along calling 'bullshit' at me because I said I'd seriously consider the smaller amount of silver because it was what I was currently chasing.

Your reason given? because I said to someone that I'd give them 16 ounces to buy their 500g of silver.

Clearly, 16oz (497g) is much less than the 500g that I was offering a swap for. Wow, spewing that you caught me out trying to rort the guy out of a whole 3 grams of silver.

Whatever. Make it 17oz, who cares? Meeting anywhere in the middle doesn't seem like a realistic goal if you're chasing something that small that must have been weighed with the cardboard on, before pricing it.

And I would suggest that if anyone takes me up on the offer, that they are probably the 'regretful buyer of fractional stuff' that I warned in my original sales post, that it would only appeal to.

The people that bought smaller stuff, then didn't want it and would rather get 1oz coins, instead. Or bars or whatever.

Same as me. I'll swap my 1oz coins ounce for ounce for bars of any size.

Why? Because I am a regretful buyer of them. I thought that I'd like them, and I don't. Doesn't mean that I want more ounces of bars because my coins are so pretty. I was trying to swap my junk for your junk. Junk, being non-junk, to the other.

Does the value of your house go up or down without physically changing it?

No. Your house is always worth 'your house'. Along with all of the other unchanging stuff we all own. Like silver.

9. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

as long as we are talking silver I want quantity

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You are talking about buying a product not silver.

The products are made of silver but a varying amount of money is spent turning the silver into the product.

A lot more money is spent producing a fancy coin than is spent pouring it into a bar, so that is where the money has gone.

Some people like collecting coins and know that this hobby comes at a price well above the value of the metal used.

Some people don't care what it looks like so just get the cheapest possible silver, this is often buy-back silver in poor condition.

I like junk silver for the lowest possible premiums, often below spot value, no arduous stoppage requirements and you can handle it without losing any value. Plus I would rather look at hundreds of worn dirty coins than one large minty fresh 999 'numismatic' coin.

Dolly123 likes this.
  11. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I realize there is a reality to the numismatic collector and the numismatic collector might have a better out look upon life as they have trust that there types of silver will be wanted . But god forbid a world of calamity who then to buy the MS-70 for anything but what it really is SILVER

12. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

EXACTLY! Even then, in such a world, a hunk of metal could be the furtherest thing from someones immediate need.

You can sell a starving person a meal for $1000 but he won't want to pay nearly as much for dessert. He isn't that hungry, anymore.

Your stack could become worthless to you, depending on what side of your needs you are currently on.

13. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In a calamity global nuclear holocaust or world wide disaster, silver would be next to useless for exchange. Who would want it.

14. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

They'd be worth more as arrowheads or something.