Ancient coins

Discussion in 'Antique Silver' started by Jim4silver, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I have begun a new phase in my coin addiction: ancient coins. I purchased some slabbed ancient coins that I got fairly cheap and it sparked an interest in these things.

I doubt I will be shelling out much $$$ since I know very little about these. Wondering if we have any ancient coin collectors here?

I got some Constantine 1 coins of some sort, and some 4th century BC Thracian Chersonesus coins (says test cut whatever that is). All are graded by NGC choice VF and also some VG.

I plan on purchasing some books on this stuff and getting a better understanding.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I've often looked at websites selling ancient coins in various states of condition. Not sure if they're fake or not, but the non-PM ones are cheap and a handful of them would look good in a small treasure chest. You can get old, worn lumps of metal for under USD10!

Jim4silver likes this.
  3. Scottspurs

Scottspurs Active Member

I love the idea of them. Of holding a piece of history in my hand. However probably won't be purchasing any. Apart from some 4 for $10 ones I got at a trade shown that I was assured were ancient.

Jim4silver and mmm....shiney! like this.
  4. Jim4silver

Since I have no way to verify any of this stuff, I will stick to NGC graded coins (maybe would consider ANACS as well. PCGS doesn't do ancients except special runs).

The "ancients" market is generally down right now, which is a good time to buy. Any of this stuff I get I plan to keep for a while, although I will take some to the shows I do later in the year and try to sell.

I'll find a couple that I like the best to save, but the rest I'm hoping to eventually make some $$$ and diversify a bit from my foreign bullion stuff I normally get.

Gresham's Law likes this.
  5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have some copper Venetian coins from 1600, a silver polish-ish coin from around the same time and some old english hammered coins. For anyone who collects slabbed MS70s these would be a nasty sight. Even a good coin will be unevenly struck, weekly struck or just generally nasty.

I am keen on the siege pieces but most if not all will be out of my reach.

6. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Here is some pictures of an ancient Massa coin I have, these are not that common
    Middle Period c. 950-1150 AD SILVER Massa Sandalwood Flower incuse, R: Nagari Ma Flan concave, thinner, broader & rounded; Ma cruder about 2.07-2.54 gm, 13-14m Wiicks (p.255) Class E, M730-731
    P_20170401_142148_SRES.jpg P_20170401_142204_SRES.jpg P_20170401_142254_SRES.jpg P_20170401_142329_vHDR_Auto.jpg

7. Jim4silver

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Very interesting Jim. My plan is to collect coins during the reign of Marcus Aurelius, the great Stoic philosopher.

9. Jim4silver

I don't have any real preferences, except I want the coins slabbed by NGC and for what I call "cheap" prices. I will keep a couple of the nicest for my collection and try to sell the rest at a show. I got these from a wholesale source for less than half of what they sell for on ebay, so I figured I couldn't really mess up too bad buying them.

I turned down a few ANACS slabbed coins, they didn't look too nice (really beat up) plus I really only trust NGC for these types of coins. Luckily, I have two ancients experts that I know well, who have both offered some advice and to sell me real coins raw at decent prices if I choose, etc.