america the beautiful 5 oz coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 97guns, Apr 2, 2011.

1. 97guns

97guns New Member

dont know if any of you keep up with american coins but these sets are causing quite a frezy here in the states. its the first run in the series and the mint only produced 33,000 of them. when they first came out people on ebay were selling them for $1600 but now they have eased a bit and are still fetching $1400 on ebay. the mint just announced that dealers must sell all their 2010 inventory to be elligible for the 2011 purchases so the dealers are unloading right now 25 oz. for $929-959.

just wondering if you guys have any issues that cause a frenzy like this

2. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

The Mary Mckillop 1/10 proof gold coin went out in similar fashion, low mintage and people just flogged it on the bay.

3. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

Wow - they are very nice coins - I wish I'd heard about them sooner so I could have ordered a set :)

4. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

I wanted some of those 5oz coins, but being in Australia and those being in USA, there was fat chance of me getting my grubby little paws on them.

I remember reading on here that one of the distributers tried preselling them with numismatic level pricing. The US Mint found out and banned (fined?) that distributor because the mint had advertised bullion level prices.

5. 97guns

97guns New Member

yes im pretty sure thats what happened, it messed up the minting process somehow too, thats why the low #'s.

6. silver_man

silver_man New Member

These coins were sold by the Mint to mainline Bullion Dealers (about 10 or so). Each Dealer had about 3300 sets to sell to public.

Apmex sold some of those coins at $1395 a set. At that time, set was sold North of $2500 on Ebay.

The issue with getting the coins is that US Mint has instructed every Dealer not to sell more than one set per household. I am a believer of the series and I have bought as many sets as I could.

Due to upcoming release, all dealers are expected to sell the coins before they can buy 2011 coins from the mint.

This is difficult to imagine lower prices on Ebay than at this time though one can be wrong.

Best,

7. 97guns

97guns New Member

yes this is why all the dealers are pushing them out right now, the mint is suppose to start taking orders for the 2011 seires this week.

is 33,000 really a low mintage though? i was looking at a catalog and there are alot of commems out there that have some small mintage numbers, as small as 5,000 , 7,500, 10,000

what happens to low mintage runs when the initial hype on them is over?

these will be my very first coins with any real numismic value to them.

8. jonesdav

jonesdav New Member

I bought a set of ATB 5OZ from Jack Hunt. paid about $80 for shipping and Handling but they didn't even put the coin in the capsule. In their shipping note told me not to keep the coins in bubble envelope for long. I never bought coin that was not in capsule. Does anyone know where to buy good brand coin capsules?

DJ

9. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone else got the email from AMPEX?
    I got them for US$959 well below melt value and all PCGS graded coins with free presentation box. :lol:

*Please Note: The supply of this product is extremely limited. Therefore, in order to be fair to all customers who wish to purchase a set, APMEX has implemented a pre-registration and lottery type system to identify specific customers eligible to purchase the 2010 ATB coins from APMEX. Only the lottery winners will receive the email from APMEX with the offering and will be entitled to order one set of these coins.

If you do not receive an email from APMEX, you will not be eligible to purchase at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

10. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

11. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

wouldnt mind a set that cheap myself.. just under $1000 is a good score

12. Struggle Street

Struggle Street Member

At 8.15 am today (1 hour ago) APMEX will pay you $1250.00 US for these sets.

They have also set the buy price of silver at $3.00 above spot for American product.

13. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

APMEX have not even delivered out the ATB coins.
    Anyone bought from them can cancel the order with $300 profit.