Who 'got' you?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Topherclaus, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I've always been fascinated by gold and I recall trying to convince my parents it was a good investment even when I was a kid. But I never owned a coin until my early 20s.

I remember watching YouTube and stumbling upon Mike Maloney's Hidden Secrets of Money. I jumped online and made an order that night; I bought thousands of dollars worth of gold within the week and then matured into silver buying soon after.

I've definitely become a much more sophisticated investor since that night and I have both a better understanding of the markets and, maybe, a better bullshit/hype detector.

Mike got me. He really got me to jump into the deep end and spending my hard earned on hard assets. I'm interested to know who also got caught up in the hype of a metals pumper. What was your first purchase? I believe I bought a Perth Mint 1 ounce gold roo first.

2. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This site got me...was googling something and came across it. First purchase was 100 round 50s from a pawn shop in Melb for $5 each....and I was cranky that I might have paid to much lol

3. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Listening to Mike Maloney got me in stacking silver too. No regrets coz I'm certain now from doing my own research that there will be a monster world economic crash on horizon. My stack will either make me monster profits or act as a good protection of wealth. Either one I'm happy with and can sleep easier at night.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I came from coin collecting.

After emigrating to Australia I thought I would put together a collection of circulating currency.

I got everything in change except the round 50 cent coin.

Went on eBay and was surprised at how much it was going for (Double Bar and in a 2x2 for $12).

Found you could buy them in bulk for a cheaper unit cost, @$4.50.

Then worked out that the value of the silver was worth more than the coin was selling for.

Expanded the search and found that pretty much all bulk pre decimal was also selling for less than the spot price and that included postage.

Bought a ton of predecimal.

Then spot started going up and overnight the value of my coin accumulation went up.

Figured this was money in the bank and started looking at other unpopular coins.

Got a Gold Commemorative Greek Coin for spot and then started looking for better quality coins and more variety.

Then found out my Mum, Aunt, Grandma, Father-in-law and Father all have gold sovereigns tucked away and have had for many many years, felt like I was late to the game.

Topherclaus and ozcopper like this.
  5. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

My first buys were during the run-up to $50 per oz. Silver.in the 1970's. (ABC, I think they were).

I'm the guy who bought 5 x 1 oz. bars @ the very top - if you ever wondered who he was, lol.

Then bought from Southern Cross Coin Shop, in the Southern Cross building, also from Bullion Sales International.

I always wonder where those businesses disappeared to.

Later I graduated to 1 Kg bars, more bang for your buck. _JLG.

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was into Au from the first bubble in the 70s and when 2008 hit I ran to it like a duck to water. Then Maloney, Sinclair and Rickards reinforced my biases.

I know a really smart, rich person who told me to sell any metal and buy stocks in 2013 but my mind was closed to other than economic collapse. I'd have lots of paper now if I'd followed his picks. He also said ignore crypto. He'd have more paper now if he'd ignored his own advice.

The best advice here on SS came from Non Recourse - who made a brief visit a while back - which was echoing others, but was in essence, be your own central bank. Which I take means hedge against your own metals. That is still my perspective, despite all the other best advice floating about.

Also:

Collapses happen slowly, then all at once.

House likes this.
  7. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bob Kiyosaki !, ..... after stumbling accross a book, which he authored and had been donated to a community store.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had been eyeing off some 1oz Kangaroos but they had been too expensive at $50 per coin.

When spot skyrocketted the last time (2011?) all the other silver dried up, I had auctions cancelled because "they couldn't find the coins" only to have them relisted a day later. There were photos of queues outside bullion shops and a three month wait for delivery from the big dealers.

All the while the little coin club website advertising the $50 1oz Kangaroos was just sitting there, when spot hit $48 I figured close enough and pulled the trigger to complete my sets. Didn't get them all, only one of each I needed. I then posted the details of the site on this forum and the rest were gone in no time. Hope they sold them quickly because right after that the spot price went into freefall.

They are the only Roos that I managed to buy close to spot, that's what I tell myself :)

JOHNLGALT likes this.
  9. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As much as I hate to admit :oops: Alex Jones first woke me up to silver when I saw an interview years ago with Joel Skousen. It took me quite a while to find where i could access buying silver in Australia, trust in dealers that came up in google searches in Australia was dodgy at best. ABC bullion in Sydney was my first purchase (never ever again) (reason=$35 delivery on 8 canadian maples lol - IKR!!!) - but we all had to start somewhere. Then got sucked into my local coinshop $$$ gouging, then found silverstackers and never looked back :) - I haven't bought off a dealer in years & really haven't even visited their websites in years & have built some great trading relationships with people on this forum, and to this day I really don't even look anywhere else.:rolleyes:

House and bretto like this.
  10. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I hope you've learned that Alex is a bit far gone to be taking advice from him? Lol. At least it was good information, I guess.

I've bought from a few of the Sydney dealers but travelled to them and collected. I had mostly good experiences until I went to ABC Bullion in board shorts and thongs; I was treated like some scumbag who shouldn't have the money to be buying PMs. That turned me off. Also, I found that I could buy cheaper here and get better postage prices.

Greg Williams likes this.
  11. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This was many moons ago, & no I haven't taken AJ seriously for years. But my point was, that's how I became interested in silver, & without that I still might not have any :)

12. bretto

bretto Active Member

infowars in 2005.

Bob Chapman

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  13. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Well if gold nuggets laying on top of the ground does not do it for you...... What will??, addicted since I was 14 yrs old. Ahh those were the days before the Minelab SD series, when you bipped a bit of gold and it was staring you in the face on top of the ground, zero digging required.

bretto likes this.
  14. JOHNLGALT

Ah, the memories of hiring a Detector and going to Chewton (Victoria) in 1980, to make my fortune ha ha.

Massive beeps - you know the sound.

2 hours later after digging down 3 feet, with the heart beating 10 to the bar, A F*&^%$# CAR BODY.

It's alright folks, I'm over it.

BenKenobi likes this.
  15. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The 2oz Privateer Kraken round.

Bought that on semi impulse and got bitten by the bug hard

16. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I remember buying my first silver bar. It was an old tarnished 50oz bar. Cost about $720 if I remember correctly. I looked at a one ounce gold bar but decided I prefer silver. I must really prefer silver, because that's the colour my hair is going while waiting for its price to do anything.

17. JOHNLGALT

At least you've got hair, lol.

GRASS GROW_2.jpg

18. MakeMyDay

MakeMyDay New Member

Bill Cooper used to advertise metals on his shows. He predicted 9/11, and then when it happened I got serious about prepping. Once the other things were in place I started spending on metals. The dementia of the Frankfurt School is now coming into full bloom in America, so I'm glad I'm better prepared than I was.

If you don't know who Bill Cooper was, his Mystery Babylon series may be of interest. It's uploaded everywhere. Episode 14 or 15, about the Skull and Bones Society, is especially good IMO.

19. TxMoon

TxMoon New Member

I was introduced by playing a game and won 5 ASEs. I had no clue what they were and sat in my safe for about 6 months. I was introduced to another game and won a 1/10 oz gold round, then (10) 1 oz silver bullets. I started gaming more and winning some but losing more so I started reading up on buying silver. I watched some videos by Silver Slayer and Silver Saver and next thing I know, here I am. A right and proper "silver stacker". I have 70 oz of silver and with my purchases this weekend will roll over the 100 oz (of silver) mark. Not sure how far I'll go but I am enjoying it.

JOHNLGALT likes this.
  20. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

These stories are so interesting. I was catching up with a good friend for drinks at a bar in Thailand. We were mostly into exchanging ideas for shares investing when I mentioned having some collectable items that I wanted to sell. I told my friend I contacted 6 coin shops around Australia but they were all offering well under spot for my gear. He said, I tell you something, check out Silver Stackers when you get home. It's a forum where you can buy and sell gold and silver and "you will always get at least spot price".

So I got home and sold most of my stuff here online and never under spot, just like he said. Since then something happened, I got hooked on bullion silver stacking and I like it. I Keep a lot and sell my excess and now I have a new hobby, silver stacking.

The user "Bear Metal" has a signature on his profile that says " -If you can afford it...buy it!" I like this a lot and often put it into play when humming and harring about whether I should buy something.