Let's talk metals.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by silversearcher, Sep 26, 2017.

1. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

I've come in fairly regularly over the years and have posted quite a few posts on metals and occasionally various other posts in other sections, usually gripes about Australia Post or Ebay but mostly metal (silver) . Love me or hate me, agree with me or disagree with me, I think I'm a stacker and a lover of metals in general. I know this, as I was born into a coppersmithing family. I've built and designed my own sluice boxes and spent a good part of my youth prospecting for gold on weekends. I've always been fascinated by coins as a kid and till this day still am (although I don't really collect them). These days I'm more inclined to learn how find and to cut gemstones- a lifetime ambition that I had to scratch off my bucket list. Having spoken to another forum member the other day we were discussing what defines those on this forum as a stacker. I know that this person is also a real stacker. There is definitely something in the blood that can often define a person who's generally into metals both precious and non-precious.

The thing about metals it can also be a love hate affair. Particularly if you view it as hedge against inflation when it appears to be deflating or going sideways (Court Jesters famous quote). At times I've even been down on metals mostly about quality control, and it's reluctance to make reasonable gains. And I've mentioned at times "Cash is King" and stand by that statement. But I'll be ready to pounce to buy into metals when instinct tells me. I'm not into flipping metals as some do, as I'm too busy working and it seems too fiddly and messy for me to bother with that.

It seems that I've never seen so many people down on Pm's lately as now on this forum. The years of sideways movement has really shaken some people up and turned them off metals all together. Sadly now, they are only interested in the forum for it's other topics. But I do admit when so many are glum and disheartened that to me is a great sign. And I suspect there are others also salivating at the thought of a little more blood letting to capitalise. I'm not saying now is the right time to go all in, or even in a year or two, I'll leave that to the discretion of others. As for me, lets just say at some point the dying rotten corpse of sideways Pm's can be like a smell of sweet perfume. So what defines you as a "Stacker"? I reckon there are not too many around anymore on this forum.

2. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I think the crypto's have taken over. :(

3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Diversify and knowing the risk tolerant level.

I did get into precious metal for bullion in early years in term of paper and physical items. Gradually I been in Numic instead of Bullion more. However, I still keep bullion precious metal especially gold.

I have other types of investment. However not crypto's

4. Seven of nine

Seven of nine Active Member

Buy and hold ( long term ) is my strategy, and I have the patience to do so ( until I really need the money of course ). Long term as in 10, 15 years or more. Unless metals rise to A$2,000 or more, it's futile to sell.

andrewlee10 likes this.
  5. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I love silver and got hooked instantly. My first silver buy was four 1kg bars which I took to bed with me that night. (I mentioned that on forum a few years ago) It was a hot night and they kept me beautifully cool. Sadly as my stack grew I had to put my all silver baby into a SDB for safety. But I keep a one ounce coin on the lamp table next to my bed to play with at night. :)

6. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For me it's just savings, savings I wouldn't have if I didn't have a stack, instead it would be pissed up against a wall. I'm not too bothered if it goes up or down, I buy it when I have spare cash & sell a bit when need be. For instance this week, if I hadn't had my stack and able to sell a bit in a time of unforeseen crisis I would be literally up shit creek. But as I've said before in other threads on the subject, my reasoning for having a stack as opposed to cash in the bank is having it in silver form puts a tollgate/checkpoint in between me & my savings. Sometimes not easy to sell, but will always sell quickly at the right price ;) & was very grateful to those that came to the party.
    What I do most importantly is for the most part buying what I know I will be able to sell fast if need be. That's the whole point for me, because I'm not a collector (as I was as a kid), now I'm a stacker.

As a very wise forum member once wrote which has stuck with me - - - "My stack has my back" ~ sammysilver

7. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It view buying the precious metals is better than spent on drinking. I have cut down my drinking spending after into this game. I have been as collector and become a part time seller now.

Skyrocket likes this.
  8. sammy

sammy Active Member Silver Stacker

thanks for making this post! We've all been feeling down lately, but what goes down must come up ... unless you go splat off the edge of a cliff : )

9. Seven of nine

Seven of nine Active Member

Skyrocket likes this.
  10. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

You sound like a legit stacker.

Skyrocket likes this.
  11. LonelyStacker

LonelyStacker Member

I agree, I see my silver stack as an alternative to a bank account. And money I wouldn't have saved if it wasn't for the stack. I'm currently a new stacker just getting my self situated but I have stacking goals and the desire to achieve them. Stacking every paycheck keeps me active and accountable to saving money.

I've found that as my stack grows it reduces my stress, because I'm accomplishing my stacking dream.

12. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep! The bad news is it means that this forum is stuck with my postings for life! :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  13. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

not sure what metals were used to cut the rock

sammy likes this.
  14. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

This is from an article posted on Zero Hedge today.

CHINA TAKE-DOWN.JPG