Advice for Selling on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Groges, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. Silverling

^^ Sorry about the previous replies as the forum software didn't allow me to post for some reason, no dialog box appeared.^^

All I wanted to say was that I was upgraded to 60 items or $3,000 value. It doubled overnight, I'm happy.

Silverbandit007 likes this.
  3. silverfry

silverfry Member

Hi Groges,

The biggest concern is not the selling fee, the SOD but the fraudulent charge back through PayPal.

I set an eBay selling account several months back and no issues with items from $100 to $800.

However my largest sale which was over $2500 of rare silver bars successfully bought off ebay from a member of this site and the owner a certain silver research site that many of use.

There were several emails confirming the sale, photos from me packing and receipt of the extra post I had included at my cost as well as Perth mint bronze medallion as I gesture of good will from me and a delighted buyer thanking me for the extra coin and speeding delivery and all completed or so I thought.

Several months later PayPal emailed me say that the buyer had initiated a charge back against me and that they didn't authorise the charge, despite having several emails from the buyer after the purchase including the discussion of other bars.

This caused a huge amount stress and frustration and I believe the buyer has found a legal (but still fraudulent ) way to get cheap silver bars and has made me seriously consider using the site for this reason.

Sorry for the long message.

Groges likes this.
  4. Silverling

This scares me a lot. So did you get paid in the end? Did you win the case? Thanks.

5. silverfry

silverfry Member

Hi Ling,

This exactly what i received.

"We've been notified by your buyer's card provider that Case PP-D-xxxxx has been decided in the buyer's favour. As a token of gratitude for valued customers like you, we won't debit your PayPal account for the disputed amount."

So despite evidence of a genuine sale with multiple communications with the buyer PayPal sided with the buyer, however they didn't charge me.

I have contemplated naming and shaming the buyer on here as I would hate anyone to go through this again and especially for am amount over $2000.

Happy selling

Groges likes this.
  6. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With the amount of evidence you have it seems to be obvious fraud. Would the police take an interest?

silverfry likes this.
  7. monopolize

monopolize Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is not PayPal siding with the buyer. It's the buyer's credit card company that has sided with the buyer. PayPal would've had to eat the cost because it sounds like you've taken all the steps to satisfy seller protection. I'm sure they would've screwed you if they could.

Groges and silverfry like this.
  8. enzedda

enzedda Member

Could you give us an indication of the buyer's id so it can be added to our block list.

In the mean time maybe to give the buyer some stress back, tell them that you've instructed your legal representative to instigate a fraud case against them, with copies of all communication evidence details passed on to the police as well. At least it will give them something to think about.

silverfry likes this.
  9. silverfry

silverfry Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses and help.

Not sure where the police stand on matter like this and it was also purchased from a buyer in the U.S.A which I imagine makes things more complicated and ultimately i didn't get charged as i did everything correctly.

Monopolize, I also agree that it is buyers credit card siding with the buyer, which i still find it hard with the communication that i had with the buyer that could not be refuted.

Not sure what the rules are on publicly naming this person or their eBay id?

I believe he might be very well know in this forum.

10. Silverling

Hi silverfry, thank you. I only wondered who actual picked up the tab concerning your silver sale. PayPal seems to have done this. Well done PayPal. I am glad they did the right thing for you silverfry, cheers.

11. Silverling

Ok, here is an honest question from a relative newbie too.

If I order say $2,000 worth of bullion from a well known ebay seller and I pay by PayPal and the item never arrives can I get a refund? The reason I ask is that there are several ebay sellers selling bullion with regular postage. No signature on Delivery, Not Registered, doing things to cut corners to get a sale. What if my item doesn't turn up? Do I have a case?

12. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Don't buy with regular post-ask for express with signature-if you can afford $2000 why not spend extra $10 for he peace of mind-Cheers.

13. Silverling

From what this says it is the posters responsibility:

#5: *If you did pay by Paypal (transation OVER $250 in value) - then in addition to the Seller having to provide a tracking or Delivery Confirmation number - they MUST also include "Signature Proof" as in proof of a receipt signed or otherwise acknowleged by the buyer. Proof of delivery by the shipper, which does not contain the buyer's signature or other acknowlegement will not be enough.

reference here:http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Package-Didnt-Arrive-or-is-Lost-DONT-GIVE-UP-/10000000001678904/g.html

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  14. enzedda

enzedda Member

I'm not sure either, but you don't have to give exact details, a misspelled or similar sounding name can be narrowed down using search and match feature. A few other things useful are exact date of this transaction, exact price of item sold, title description, etc. Even your own selling id (if you want to).

15. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure if everyone on here knows this, but you can list 2 items on eBay for free each month with no final value fees.
    You first have to list the items on gumtree and then click on the link to create eBay listing for the item as well.
    So for someone who has a high value item, such as a 1 ounce gold coin you could save yourself about $300 in fees.
    It might be way to go, if you dont want to pay eBay's exorbitant normal fees.
    Just be careful to delete the listing after 30 days if it does not sell, or eBay will relist the item and charge you full fees
    if it sells after this time .
    Also, make the asking price quite a bit higher than spot on gumtree with " no offers" to stop the bargain hunters from annoying you.
    I have just listed a couple of items myself, so will see how it works out.

Sawman, dollars and Silverling like this.
  16. HoneyTree

HoneyTree New Member

I've been thinking that precious metals could benefit from it's own marketplace to resolve some of these issues.

17. mel1092

mel1092 Member

Market place and gumtree are the only places you want to sell gold and silver because eBay charges way to much . How you sell silver on market place is don’t list your coins with coins , animal names or silver and the bots won’t delete the add . eBay is useless . Market place you post a add and 300k people get notifications.

18. Silverling

I am not familiar with market place but I think it is on facebook (I don't have an account). Are you saying they don't let you sell coins on facebook? If so why not?

19. mel1092

mel1092 Member

I have no idea why they won’t it’s so stupid but I sell most my coins on there and market place is 10 times more powerful for buying and selling than eBay and gumtree most the stuff I lost on market place sells within 24-48hrs because market place notifies everyone who has notifications on so you get a massive audience .

Silverling likes this.
  20. HoneyTree

HoneyTree New Member

I don't think I've ever once for a moment considered selling on Facebook. Mel1092, could you send me a link to the group you're using?