Steem

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by Argentum, May 27, 2017.

1. Ilikemetals

Ilikemetals Member

Steem will become the decentralized "say what you want" forum/blog platform. It already has some great and unique content on there

2. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

whay and Bullion Baron like this.
  3. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. BuggedOut

Clever video. I've seen a bit of fyrstikkens work recently. He is definitely a big player in the STEEM ecosphere.

I am seeing some flaws and some issues along with the potential in the platform. The system is being gamed and exploited pretty hard by some of the big authors and whales. Jury is still out on whether this is a good investment but my deep dive is about 2 weeks long now and I still feel like I'm only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Argentum and southerncross like this.
  5. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

what i dont like is how some people pay for randomwhale upvote. It kind of defeats the purpose. If you keep posting quality articles people will like it and you should grow. Whats also funny is some posts get 50 upvotes with a tiny reward and 1 person upvotes himself with a 100% vote and its more than that.

In case you havent figured it out yet use steemstats and steemd.com it keeps track of everything important related to the account, like upvotes, voting power, incoming payouts

6. southerncross

I'm not too interested in the rewards as such for myself and don't really post there much either, but I really like the ability to look for and find quality post's on there.
    Google and it's control of Youtube have basically censored and de-monetized a lot of content that I have regularly watched in the past on such platforms, and Steemit present's a new (so far) uncensored unbiased platform to view this sort of content.

It might not be to everyone's taste but Milo Yiannopoulos , Paul Joseph Watson, and a bunch of other such social commentators with similar content are now being actively hidden from search views, while also being de-monetized by Youtube, all due to political correctness and the posters right leaning political commentary.

I'm not a die hard Fanboi of either of the above mentioned two and chose them just as an example, but I watch all sorts of contrasting info on the above platforms, and it has become obvious of late that only one side of the debate is being either censored or 'algorithm'd' off into the bowels of never see it land on youtube and google.

Fake news on free to air is an already known fact for those who actually think, fake news/opinion on youtube is to be expected on balance. But when you get the basic 'only' choice that nearly all internet users now a day's get to see fut bucked with so hard as to either hide it from view through search results or outright remove any $ incentive to post it on a regular basis because the platform has decided that it's massive demographic audience should only hear one side of a discussion for purely partisan political motivations, really really sucks, dog balls...hard. ab

I'm probably a little further to the right of most who consider themselves conservatives in some way's, but without the religious hangups and racial/homophobic attributes imposed by those who disagree with me on my viewpoints. All that aside it is quite alarming that those of a specific political bent who hold and push the buttons of what and what is not seen by the majority of internet users on the planet due to their current strangle hold on the platforms that every day people use, are able to influence what people not only search for but also what they actually view by imposing what they see as a politically correct source of information distribution.

IE: You will only see what we deem is politically correct, and ergo will not allow you to make your own mind up about what you see.

We saw it all on free to air, even here in Australia with Trump, He will never be president, mathematically there is no way he can win, Blah de Blah de Blah...

Now we see the very same thing happening with both internet searches and with video commentary from those who are contrary to 'current' political correctness.

Steemit may have some issues with distribution of rewards etc that may need to be worked through, but if it lives up to being uncensored and free to post, then I can see Youtube dying in the ass in short order. When it comes to the free and open spread of opinions and information that people can make their own minds up about, without the influence of the provider of the information restricting or in any way impeding the flow or open discussion of what is posted, for me that is where we as a society can meet in the middle.
    We might hate what the other has to say about any given topic, but at least we get to discuss it and argue the shit out of it, instead of being fed an echo chamber diet of newspolls or opinions garnered from chosen views or hits on a certain viral video that has emerged while another has been whisked away to never see it land via the virtues of an algorithm that only exits due to the political views of a Suckerberg or such.

Most people are not that far apart really, they might hold different political views, but they would never dress up like a Ninja and smack someone in the head with a stick just because they disagree with them on any given point. EG: I don't agree with changing the terminology of Marriage to include LGBTIQ people, my 26 year old Daughter does, she might like to hit me at times, but I can guarantee you all our disagreement on that particular point is not a part of that at all.

In short, political influence or censorship should not be a part of our social internet interaction as individuals, it is quite clear though that we are being ever so, though not so subtly influenced by what we are exposed to via our major and for most people inescapable internet platforms due to the political leanings of those who own and control such platforms.

If you can't trust free to air TV, and obviously now can't trust Google or Youtube to give an unbiased and neutral position any more, is Steemit the next open source honest user/provider of real content despite the gimmi gimmi leaches and the Whales dictating rewards ?

I'd like to think that people with good content and 'real' news will win out but it is still really just early day's yet.

Argentum and BuggedOut like this.
  7. BuggedOut

8. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

watch this video, its related to steem. A company that accepts different cryptos inc steem(as well as others) to pay your bills

9. BuggedOut

If anyone is holding Steem Dollars sell them now. They have spiked up to over $2 USD even though they are coded to peg back to $1 USD. This is a 100% profit on any held SBD and this offer WILL NOT LAST.

10. BuggedOut

This is what madness looks like :-

SBDMadness.png

11. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

In Engrish please. :)

12. BuggedOut

I mean it is written in the code for the blockchain.

1 Steem Dollar, by definition is exchange-able for $1 USD worth of STEEM via the platform. So when the price of 1 Steem Dollar is actually 2 USD it is a moronic price.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  13. mmm....shiney!

Really? That is fkn unbelievable. o_O

14. Brendio

Brendio Active Member

Thanks for the heads up.

BuggedOut likes this.
  15. mmm....shiney!

So does that mean that devs attempted to peg the price of the currency to the USD and the market chose to ignore it?

BuggedOut likes this.
  16. Brendio

Brendio Active Member

BuggedOut likes this.
  17. BuggedOut

That's exactly what it means.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  18. BuggedOut

It is slowly normalising. Down to $1.60 now on Bittrex.

19. southerncross

Bugged you forgot.... .

It will happen again, and again ! Outraged unbeliveability will not change anything, it just happens.
    Now that it has happened once, it will happen again and go even higher next time.

Powering down now for the next opportunity.

BuggedOut and mmm....shiney! like this.
  20. Brendio

Brendio Active Member

This isn't the first time SC, so probably won't be the last. It was only a few months ago as I recall. I think it coincides with general alt coin mania. People randomly buying without investigating. During Steem bear markets, SBD tends to trade below $1.