Rare Great Wall Medal Just Listed at Auction

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Coins A-Z, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

I just came across this top grade rare Great Wall medal up for auction. I came across a very large thread on another forum which mentions that several years ago, a similar medal (same type and grade) sold for something like $15,000 at some auction house.

Clearly, with such a low price tag on this newly listed one, it's a fantastic buyer's market right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122549997781?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. perfulator

perfulator Member

Will be interesting to see if it sell. Is there consensus the $15.000 sale was for real? There are only 2 graded this high at NGC so it is of course an unique object with a fascinating and mysterious history, but still it's a lot of money. I guess those who buy these have no concerns money-wise.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There is another 1980 which rarer. However seldom available in eBay. It sold 6 or 8 k in auction house half year ago if I am not wrong

Coins A-Z likes this.
  4. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

I'd read about it in the CCF forum but that's the extent of my knowledge on it.

Can you share a picture please? Is it a similar design and size as the one in the auction above?

5. perfulator

perfulator Member

Do you mean any of these?

[​IMG]

Coins A-Z likes this.
  6. perfulator

perfulator Member

...or the less rare this :p

[​IMG]

Coins A-Z likes this.
  7. perfulator

perfulator Member

... or the proof version:

[​IMG]

Not sure where I picked up the original images these illustrations are based on, but probably NGC, Chinese Coin Forum, Feng, Liu Hong.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  8. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Thank you perfulator. Any reliable info on mintage numbers for any/all those varieties?

9. andrewlee10

It is one of it. It have cloud and non cloud version.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  10. andrewlee10

This is not the silver version. Those are gold gilt version. There is a brass version which consider rare.

I own one pieces of the brass version which observe is the same.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  11. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

andrewlee10, are you saying that in the silver matte finish (of what some collectors refer to as the "Plum Blossom" design with the error spelling of "Heros") there's a clouds and no clouds versions? I thought the clouds and no clouds versions only exist for the "Heroes" correct spelling (Beacon Tower) version which was produced like 2 years after the Plum Blossom design. See the bottom medal: http://www.luckpawnshop.com/shanghai-mint-1985-great-wall-of-china-medal-p-218.html

12. perfulator

perfulator Member

[​IMG]

These are the 2 first ones. Well, as far as I know, as I have no way to verify the information. The first one was made for the Peoples Bank of China delegation to USA in april 1980 and the second for the San Fransisco exhibition in autumn 1980. What kind of exhibition I don't know, and neither any mintages, but I assume they are extremely rare and probably the rarest of them all. They are said to be brass, but a kind of staining technique give them this golden look.

[​IMG]

This beauty probably came third and again in this golden brass. As you can see it was minted in 1980, and probably they wanted a neutral medal for all occasions, but I guess they soon found out it was stupid to add the year. Again extremely rare. Another important thing is that this is the mother of all heros.

OK, so it was not so smart to use the year, and when 1980 was history, they needed a new medal, and here it is:

[​IMG]

This must be yours Andy?? Although the common belief is this was made in 1985, after the silver, I think its sensible they continued using brass, instead of suddenly picking it up again years after. It's also probably the same blanks as the first ones. Again, no way to verify the information, but my bet 1981/82 is correct. No idea of mintage, and although more common than the first 3, it's still very rare. Don't think I've seen it in any auctions. Anyone know how much these are sold for at any auction?

Some sources:
    Mr. Feng Jingjing (blog http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_609ac53d0100epij.html)
    Liu Hong (translated by Frank Wang http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.b ... itial.html)
    Chinese Coin Forum, various threads: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?board=45.0

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Coins A-Z likes this.
  13. perfulator

perfulator Member

You are right Coins A-Z, that's on the Beacon Tower copper version. Maybe the right image is not the one without, but on the left you clearly see the clouds. I assume they vere minted in this order also. I'm not aware of any cloud version on Plum Flower.

[​IMG]

Coins A-Z likes this.
  14. perfulator

perfulator Member

I do have some information on the silver mintages, but i'm only a information crawler, and I anyway need to get back on this when I have the time, so maybe some other have some? The copper ones are not so rare, but since most collectors find these medals so fascinating, and hardly any of us can buy the other metals, I wonder how long it will stay cheap. Actually I have none myself...

Coins A-Z likes this.
  15. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

Terrific info and sources perfulator. The only versions of the brass Plum Blossom (error spelling) that I've seen listed for sale anywhere is a dark bronze finish...have seen none that look light goldenish like the pics you use depict. Probably when they were first issued, they were light goldenish brass as today's brass medals look and in time will also acquire a patina.

I look forward to any mintage numbers for these that you come across. It would also be fascinating to be able to have some good idea of how many of the silver varieties that were produced and still exist have been sent in for grading or will be sent in soon now that the grading numismatic items seems to be getting more popular in China (which is where I'm assuming a percentage of these Great Wall medals possibly are).

16. whay

whay Well-Known Member

With due regards and contrary to all here, I think the design and quality of these medals are just mediocre.

17. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

No whay! ;)

18. andrewlee10

This design and engraving is not super. However, the collector collect it for the history and other reasons.

I have 1 brass and minimum 5 to 10 of copper for different years in my collection. I will release for sell once I feel to part away.

I do not own any silver which I feel the price is high.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  19. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I like these medals and I'm collecting them.
    As most of the coins and medals they look nicer in hands.

For sure there are some better designs, even from that years, but to me they are sort of like a "classic".

I'm not sure if NGC labelled some of them correctly, I think I saw a case where they labelled 1985 medal as 1987.

As with many MCCM there are some uncertainties and nobody is really sure how many survived, etc.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  20. andrewlee10

Many old and rare mccm have showed up recently.

People short of cash.

Coins A-Z likes this.