Steem

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by Argentum, May 27, 2017.

1. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

I searched the forum and couldnt find any threads on this but a new platform has come out that is kind of like Facebook but while Facebook benefits from your posts, On Steem they pay you in cryptocurrency called steem that you can trade for cash or change to other cryptos on exchanges.

A few Youtube channels are allready established there and you can see their videos there and below their video/article is an upvote option where if you like the video increases how much the person will receive for their post. There are post earning $1000s.

I got hooked on it after watching Gregory Manarrinos video (hes there too as well as others such as sgtreport, crushthestreet, jsnip, x22report and others i usually follow on youtube. The good thing here is that you also get something for commenting rather than Facebook/Youtube.

Check it out. The only downside is it takes a couple of days for you to open the account. So if you open today you will be able to go on it after a couple of days.

If you do decide to do it follow me on: https://steemit.com/@irfo1 and obviously upvote my posts ;)

2. jragon88

jragon88 Member

Cheers! I'm on Steem too :)
    Its a great platform and you get rewarded in turn of what you are willing to put in.

3. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Finally got around to investigating this platform. I find the economic model to be very interesting and I'm currently trying to evaluate whether it works as intended, or is flawed.

I've followed you Argentum, and if any other SS members are on there please put your links up here so I can follow you too. My understanding of how it works, the more of a community you have supporting each other the better. I have noted that on initial sign up I've got +27.569 STEEM delegated to me as a newbie, so for a short time at least my upvotes are going to be worth more :)

Here's me :-

https://steemit.com/@buggedout

Argentum likes this.
  4. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds good !
    Thanx for the post.
    Time to check it out.
    :)

5. Argentum

Following you too BuggedOut. Its pretty cool instead of facebook earning money of us posting we get rewarded. Dont expect posts of $1000s straight away, but ive been on since may and had a few posts of ~$10, rest were much below. Also join teamaustralia immediately they help support you

BuggedOut likes this.
  6. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

great idea, been around for awhile. but has a dubious history

7. BuggedOut

Please elaborate?

I am very interested to hear all points of view. Positive or negative.

Stoic Phoenix likes this.
  8. jragon88

jragon88 Member

9. ninteno

ninteno Member

i am very late for this project but i like the idea behind sharing and getting paid. Thats an real use case for cryptos and something ready for massadoption. Are there also competioners for Steem already active ?

Can someone give me a quick information how to store outside exchages. Is it a POS or POW blockchain ?

10. BuggedOut

Steem uses the Graphene blockchain technology. Something I am studying up on this week. I think it is termed a DPOW (Distributed Proof of Work) but does not have the same mining economics of regular POW cryptos.

I'm not real sure about the best way to store STEEM or Steem Dollars. I expect that Steem Power (the 3rd currency) really needs to be attached to your account at steemit.com to have value (it is used in your upvoting weight calculations). I store my minimal amount in steemit.com but would prefer a secure wallet if there was one.

The biggest competitor to Steem IMHO is reddit. It is very similar to reddit in many ways and seems to be actively targeting reddit users and uses. If you want an idea on how big Steem could become, have a look at the valuation of reddit.

ninteno likes this.
  11. jragon88

jragon88 Member

Based on my limited knowledge - This are the variations of Steem in the network.

Steem Power (SP) is the influence you have within the Steemit.com platform. You get this by powering up from STEEM.

Steem Dollar (SBD) is pegged to the USD for stability. You can use this to buy STEEM or SP.

Steem (STEEM) is pegged to BTC in the crypto market and will fluctuate accordingly.

Difference between STEEM and SP is the liquidity - SP back to STEEM takes 3 mths paid over 13 weeks. This was introduced to stop manipulation and pump and dumps.

So basically when you post content on steemit.com, you get upvotes. Upvotes = $$$ - this is paid out after 7 days. You can choose to get it paid out in SP (50%) and SBD (50%) or just SP (100%).

Hope this helps..

:)

southerncross likes this.
  12. jragon88

jragon88 Member

Oh and as you may have guessed - the higher your SP, the greater you upvote is worth..

13. BuggedOut

I thought "powering down" from SP to STEEM took 2 years? They designed it this way to encourage long term investment in the platform.

Also SBD is really only loosely "pegged" to the USD. They have some mechanisms in place to help it gravitate toward $1 but it does fluctuate quite a bit. It's been as high as $2.44 and as low as $0.81 just in the last month.

STEEM is hyper-inflationary. It is designed to only be held short term and the incentive is to covert it to SP or SBD as soon as possible.

Yeah....it's a bit complicated, but it's a fascinating economic model and I think I might have finally got my head around it :)

jragon88 likes this.
  14. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So here's a real life actual example ....well sort of cause we actually live in the real boonies of AUS and have no mobile phone coverage and a limited satellite internet connection.

But both my youngest kids are active internet users of any sort of video photo media and post their own content to a closed network of friends monitored by US their parents, youtube, snapachat, alone are the most popular but there are others as well, instagram, pinterest etc as well which are used in any 24 hr period.

My youngest are 12 and 8 right now but have been using the media itself since the age of five or so, learning how to use a touch screen since it came out to view pictures or use a game is now just a normal part of life for them when interacting with such media. Both now know how to upload a picture or video to a platform that they use be it for school or a social site, it is just a thing that they can do without any hassle at all, the twelve year old recently taught her 72 year old grandmother how to use her new phone to take photo's and the old girl has not stopped since, but now needs to learn how to download her phone photos to her desktop apple as her phone memory is now overloaded. My 12 year old helped her with this also with an ease that a lot of people who are new to the topic just don't get, IE android to apple etc...

I showed both my youngest the Steem platform the other week after seeing Argentum post about it on here and they both grasped the concept immediately.

The Twelve year old.

That is so cool, so its like a YouTube, but you get some money each time someone likes your post sort of thing right and instead of add's on your youtube/video you get paid instead huh ?

I tried to explain the overall difference but I was happy enough that a twelve year old could recognize the difference just to start with at least.

Both want their own accounts right now as our current pocket money protocol interrupts their 'we as the parents' pay for their horses and other assorted livestock cost's protocol. Which unfortunately for them involves the realities of education and feed cost's as well.

Right now though, an 8 year old and a 12 year old that get even a basic fundamental grasp of this technology compared to the real estate agent renting them a house over the next five years is good enough for me as a dad.
    I might not be invited to the party but if I can educate my youngest with what is on the horizon for now then it is all good M8.

15. jragon88

jragon88 Member

Good on you southerncross! Just a precaution, just like reddit, you can find lots of clutter and un-needed "crap" on Steem as well - plenty of NSFW and bots just messing with you so do keep an eye on the kids haha..

southerncross likes this.
  16. jragon88

jragon88 Member

Yes, buggedout! It used to take 2 years.. but since it's launch they have had 19 hardforks.. current system is running HF19 and I believe HF20 will come aboard soon..

I like that the whales on this platform have done various experiments to test payouts, voting power etc.. as usual, it is very very complicated..

BuggedOut likes this.
  17. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't know if it exists yet but maybe they need a kiddy version or channel type set within steemit up so it can be content controlled for them.

Anyhoo's got my account approved and am following you guy's now.

BuggedOut likes this.
  18. BuggedOut

Good to see.

Hopefully some of the SS crew can give you some support and get you going.

There are also a few groups like Team Australia, Minnow Support and Whale Shares (to name a few) who can help get you some early clout to help you build some momentum. If you can get anything into "trending" status you'll get a lot of exposure. If you have a look at the trending posts you'll see they usually are collecting a few hundred dollars each.

Hope it works out for you.

19. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

20. Argentum

join teamaustralia