Crypto Mining

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by RetardedMonkey, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think solid POS coins are that don't require any outlay on mining equipment have to be preferable over mining theses days

2. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Still need to figure how the Blockchain is verified then though huh ?

3. Jens

Jens New Member

I'd try to increase the memory clock as long as the system doesn't get unstable. That way you can increase the hashrate and you can't really break anything by overclocking the memory.
    Then perhaps also try to lower the power limit to 70 or 80 percent to save power. You can do all that very easily with MSI Afterburner (works for all cards not just MSI)

4. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I pushed my memory to +700 and that got me to 30MH/s. Temps are cool at 63 degrees and power usage was still lowish, so didn't feel the need to drop it. I heard people talking about artifacts on screen if power limit was dropped to much.

Here is a screen shot.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17998991/1070.jpg

5. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Everything looks good there. If you're ETH mining you should be able to get away with a much lower power target. Just remember to have everything changed back to normal if you want to do some gaming!

For example, I have +700 mem clocks on my 1060s, but they run at 65% power target. Still stable.

6. leo25

When people talk about power target do they mean TDP as shown on GPUz or the power chart shown on afterburner? GPUz TDP shows 63% while afterburner shows 73%

7. Jens

Jens New Member

I was talking about the power limit slider, this are my settings at the moment (GTX 1060):
    [​IMG]
    I can oc the memory quite a bit but if i lower the power limit to 70 my miner crashes after while.
    Every system is a little different, you just have to play around for a while if you want to find the perfect settings...

8. leo25

I've stopped mining now, not worth it for me. After letting it go for 24hrs I've found the payouts to be rubbish now the difficulty has gone up ( and it will keep going up, so will become even less profitable)

I can see why Ethereum is already looking at shifting to proof of stake. At this rate by the end of the year no one will be mining anymore. Unless you like doing work for nothing.

9. leo25

10. leo25

btw i have no idea why my last comment was made into a link.

11. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

This was never going to be a short haul sort of thing. This isn't my first foray into the mining of cryptos :p
    It's all money I was happy to spend and lose anyway, but instead of just straight losses from buying into crypto, I've got hardware which I could turn around and sell for almost the same price I paid for it.

No worries here at all - it's been hilarious watching the newcomers to this sort of thing....
    They're saying there'll be a correction soon. Little do they know we're currently in the correction.

Altima likes this.
  12. Jens

Jens New Member

Well i'm still mining but i'm in it for the long run, i believe ETH will go up again.
    But for people who want to buy 20 cards and get ROI in 6 months this might not be the perfect time :cool:

leo25 likes this.
  13. leo25

Claymore miner 9.7 gives a small boot in performance with Nvidia cards for anyone using that combo.

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

just upgraded from v9.5 to v9.7 on my miners and got a nice 10mh/s bump overall :)

leo25 likes this.
  15. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

I just spent the weekend dragging my old Litecoin miners out of storage, dusting them off and blowing them up (three no-shows, one PSU self-destruct and some old 7970s that are going to need disassembly to get the dust out. Dust and moisture; the two computer killers. But I digress.

I got a quad AMD rig going with 3 R9 290s (old style, single blower). I coughed up some BTC and purchased a bespoke Linux distro called EthOS, and am running Claymore for ZCash (lots of other options available). Currently getting 940 H/s at the rig, 910 H/s at the Pool (we are not served well in Oz, latencies of over 300ms in all directions). The Pool costs 1%, Claymore takes a share too, but you pay for convenience, and I spent weeks getting my LTC rigs halfway right.

Some fun and games unpacking the distro to an SSD, but it seems to do what it says on the tin, and provides a web summary, ability to program multiple rigs, remote headless control et al.

They are making a fearful amount of noise and generating peanuts, but as the rig is running on solar during daylight hours and used four-year-old kit in a box I am cautiously pleased. Next step is to refurbish one of the 2kW rigs with the R9 280Xs I have lying around...

southerncross likes this.
  16. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

About a month ago I sold my RX 480 4gb graphics card for $435 (that I bought new for $300 a year ago) to profit off this crypto mining craze. Sold it so I can get the new AMD RX Vega cards coming out next month. I'm a PC gamer, not a miner. Anyway, hope I can get one when it is released and beat all them pesky miners before they snap them all up.

17. leo25

Someone likes to game at 4k with all the trimmings. :D or you game at 1080P @ 5000fps lol

18. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

you could ave bought a 1080ti 3 months ago and had a faster card than the best rx vega which we wont see until at least september here

19. Skyrocket

I got a 1440p monitor so I can only game at 2k. After I got my 1440p monitor I could never go back now to gaming at 1080p resolution.

20. Skyrocket

I'm an AMD fanboy so to hell with Intel and Nvidia! :D RX Vega seems like it will be sitting between the GTX 1080 and 1080ti. I'll be happy with that. Also, AMD graphics card get faster with time due to drivers and such, so it may be as fast as the 1080ti.