New: Garden Panda Series

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by barsenault, May 31, 2017.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Progress being made on the new series coming out. It will be called Garden Panda Series. Should be out in a couple weeks. Mintages are being worked on, but probably 99 of the silver, 30 of the antique silver, 99 of the copper, and 199 for polish brass and 199 antique brass. Prices TBD, but they will be low!! Our mindset is to offer low prices, so when and if you go to sell, you'll be able to profit too. Kinda sucks when you pay a high price, and then when you try to sell it (for whatever reason), there is no profit left over for you to make.

Here are the details about the high relief series.

2017 Panda Garden Series Group 1 - Zhan Yuan Memorial

Reverse pattern: two leisurely pandas look around each other. A panda for lying-like, head rosy, the other by the rockery and sitting, the side shown in the outside. They look Smart, the body of the hair clear and realistic, do not have some rough beauty. Panda behind is the lush bamboo garden, bamboo leaves sharp lush, and panda's pity printed phase contrast.

Obverse pattern: Nanjing Zhanyuan Qinhuai scenery is the core scenic area, built in the Ming Dynasty, Jiangnan is one of the four famous gardens. The main building fan is the world's first air-conditioned building - can be warm in the winter. Fan behind the North is the rockery, as the highest point of the whole garden, it is different from the body of Taihu Lake stone piled up. Waterfront wall, deep valley, valley on the dry bridge, east holding the gallery.

Medallion with Chinese characteristics of the plum-shaped design, relief from hand-refined, innovative design, production and fine. By the Shanghai New Century Medal Co., Ltd. produced.

Attached Files:

Coins A-Z and mmissinglink like this.
  2. Bosse68

Bosse68 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is there any chans to preorder?

3. barsenault

Hello Bosse68. And anyone else for that matter. Ping Lucky. I wouldn't wait. 99 pieces, and 30 pieces will go quick, just say'n. I'm not entirely positive on the 30 antique...may be 60'ish. But still. [email protected]

Coins A-Z likes this.
  4. barsenault

Just got an update from Lucky on the Garden Panda Series. The silver proof which should be on www.luckpawnshop.com in about a week. Keep an on the website. The silver proof with a mintage of 99, will be priced at $99.00, with a max of 5. I'll be sure to post when they come out. First come first serve. 40mm, and 60g.

This series should be in Peter Anthony's next book. Work on #2 Garden has begun.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  5. barsenault

The great news about this series is, you are getting a Louis Vuitton bag at a steep discount, so if need to sell it down the road, there will be profit for you. As opposed to a sponsor extracting every penny from the buyer of a series, so if they have the need or desire to sell, they make no money or maybe even lose money.
    Kudos to Lucky for offering a low cost high quality Panda Series.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  6. perfulator

perfulator Member

I think you stepped over a line here mr Barsenault. Everyone know what you are hinting although you of course will play dumb. I thought I knew you better. I have no problem you pushing your new medals with your new buddy, but please act a little bit professional. i have come to learn it's those who shout loudest who has the most to hide...

7. barsenault

Lol. Yeah perhaps I spoke a little too much truth, for which I apologize. :) I have nothing to hide. Just helping Lucky with his Louis Vuitton series is all. Hope you are well Perfulator. ;) My 'new buddy' Lucky is not so new. :D I've known him since I got interested in coins back in 2011. I probably know him longer than I know anyone since coming on board with chinese coins and medals.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  8. perfulator

perfulator Member

ok, then I hope you focus your emotions and passion on MEDALS again and find better selling strategies than being cheaper than Temple Panda. You have a lot to prove with such a statement. It takes all other things being equal. Creating good medals doesn't end with a nice drawing, it starts there. It seems many medal sponsors forget this and think a nice drawing will make a nice medal. This is craftsmanship from start to finish and you said yourself many times that Andy is never rushing anything and assures exactly this as thorough as possible.

It takes experience to actually see how a design would perform and there are so many examples the later years where actually nice drawings has ended as quite mediocre medals. There are many ways to cut costs during the long process of minting, and having such focus is fine but be honest about it. You again hint that sponsor is extracting all the money from the buyer, as being the truth. I'm sure there is profit, and why shouldn't it be. I'm sure you have profit also, it's all about costs.

Lucky has a long history trying to fight the Lunar Panda and now the Temple Panda. Competition is good but I wonder where the passion and focus is when you have planned 4 Panda medals to pop up at the same time as Temple Panda. Two garden pandas, the silver (!?) Nanjing panda and the Lucky anniversary Panda. If you rather spent time and passion on one of them to assure a good result, then maybe you would be up there. Though, you might have pure luck... Anyway, I'm glad all your efforts has been in vain this time and hope you now can focus on positive things about your medals. There must be some?

And yes, I'm fine and I truly hope you are as well! Move on, ok?

9. barsenault

Move on from what? Challenging folks who think their pieces are Louis Vuitton's and everything s flea market material, um, I think not. I won't stop challenging such drivel. Sorry there big fella. Won't be happening. I don't care if this is Lucky's or Dragonzeng or anyone else for that matter. Sounds like you are making a judgment against lucky, like you know what his motives are. Did you speak with him? Ask him what his motives were? Your comment is absurd. He did NOT INTENTIONALLY plan to have his released at the same time as Andy's temple panda. That's like saying everyone planned to have the Odin coins out at the same time. Or that all these pandas in 2016 were planned to come out at the same time to compete with each others. It's just the nature of the timing of when the mint introduced these pieces. I never said that the temple pandas weren't nice. Go back and reread my post above.

Lucky has every right to fight for the Lunar Panda Series, after all, this was his creation, period, end of story. This video was made BEFORE the split between Andy and Lucky. Yes, at the time of the split (Lunar Panda Rooster), I sided with Andy, but that doesn't mean that Lucky wasn't the creator of this series. So really, it was Andy and me who had the poor timing to go against Lucky's Lunar Animated/Cartoon series. And no, I don't own a single piece of the Animated Lunar Pandas. I didn't care for the image of the Panda for the 2017 rooster. Maybe both the classical and animated versions will both be good in 2018. Here's to hoping. All the best.

Dated January 10, 2016.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Coins A-Z likes this.
  10. barsenault

Well the time has come for the Garden Panda Series to be released. The first to be sold is the : ANTIQUE SILVER mintage is 59!! Cost? $109!! Be on the lookout at www.luckpawnshop.com. His email is [email protected]. You can purchase now, and he will ship July 14th. He will be posting 1 or 2 at a time so no one person can swoop down and buy a 'ton' of them. The others will follow 1 or 2 weeks later (silver proof, brass, and copper - proof and antique). The mintage: 99 sets. See sample pictures.

Attached Files:

Coins A-Z likes this.
  11. barsenault

And the 99 sets of 5 pieces: silver, brass/copper proof and brass/copper antique will be about $235.00 with matching COA for the set. The will be sold by sets, and will include pouches.

The Antique Silver is $109.00 (mintage 59).

Reach out to [email protected] or keep an eye out on his website www.luckpawnshop.com

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Coins A-Z likes this.
  12. barsenault

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Coins A-Z likes this.
  13. barsenault

Update on the Garden Panda #1. Set of 6 with Antique is sold out ($355.00). Lucky said he has 15 left of the set of 5, and all 99 sets will be sold out. Happy 4th everyone. www.luckpawnshop.com/2017-panda-garden-series-i-zhanyuan-garden-china-medal-5-set-p-1108.html

#2 Garden Panda is currently being worked on: Yuyuan Garden.

Disclaimer. I'm not in partnership with Lucky. I'm merely helping him market to the U.S., audience since he is limited with the english language, and doesn't have access to the same sites we do. As a friend, I do offer him my opinions, just as Perfulator and others do for Andy regarding pictures of pandas, lunar animals for the lunar panda, and temple panda. I know, I was in the discussion groups with them. And of course they get special prices for their 'counsel' (just as I did when working with Andy), so it's no wonder they ferociously attack Lucky. I have no skin in the game, but they lump me in with Lucky because I'm a threat to their 'corner of the market.' I'm not in partnership with either Andy or Lucky, period, end of story. I don't sponsor any series. I bought the garden panda for the same price as everyone else, $344.00 for the set of six. Lucky will do just fine because he is fair with his pricing, unlike the price gouging of almost $500.00 for antique temple panda - IMHO - and I'm entitled to my opinion. #yawn.

P.S. I never did get a response to my youtube video above, where Andy and team believe they are the creators of the Lunar Panda Series, when in fact that is a lie. That video was made BEFORE the split between Andy and Lucky. So, it is in fact Andy and team 'stealing' Lucky's idea of the Lunar Panda Series. Just say'n folks. Lucky is working on #4 Lunar Panda Dog. Should have renderings soon.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Coins A-Z likes this.
  14. perfulator

perfulator Member

So you miss my comments on the video? A proof of what? Idea is one thing, execution another. If you say your effort was none, then fine. If you try to start another Lunar Panda war, then don't count me and I'm sure everyone else is sick and tired of it.

So you think I'm paid for making my comments here and there? You should know very well I'm not that kind of person. I make my comments freely and never consult anyone. You know this. A few times i've been asked to make a comment, but even then I never consult. Of course being a friend of Andy, I sometimes get information only for my eyes related to the numis market, but to keep those to myself are the only boundaries I have as I think that is the decent thing to do in a friendship, but I'm sure you see this differently.

Team? Again, you know very well there aren't any team. I offer my views on the Lunar Panda design, that's all (but they are never followed lol).

Eh.. no.. do not compare me with you. I never announce anything, not even encourage anyone. I only offer my views. You are all over the place with your coming soon, presales, orders, sales pitches, whatever.

Ok, lets say you don't get any benefits, but that only make it even more clear why you promote Lucky like a propeller. You could have done this with a focus on the medals itself, but you use this to hurt your old friend by talking down his series like you did above, and this tells me everything about you. You know very well why a BMW cost more than a Lada. I begin to understand why you became a persona non grata in Chinese Coins Forum, why you often ended up in fights in LBC forum and Coin Compendium Forum (and even recently made a public excuse for your behavior!), and even in this forum you have been in fights.

I already know your answer as you are very good at victimize yourself, so no.. you started this by talking down your old friends series when promoting Lucky. I'm never afraid to speak up, but I don't have more time for you, so the good news is you can do whatever attack you like. I don't care anymore.

15. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What the actual f*ck?????

16. barsenault

Talking down my old friends? I'm not talking down anyone. I'm merely stating facts (i.e. Lucky is the creator of the Lunar Panda Series, NOT Andy or me or you). I never stopped being a friend to Lucky even when Andy and he split. Sure I made a decision at the time to partner with Andy when the split happened, but in hindsight it was a mistake. For a lot of reasons, of which I will not get into here. I'm a partner to no one, any longer. I will help Lucky market - yes. As I said, his english is not the greatest, and he doesn't have access to the same sites we do. And I will not stop being critical (positive and negative) of a particular series whether Andy's, Lucky's, DB's, etc...I've made it abundantly clear that I don't like the Nanjing Pandas from Lucky, especially the 2015 'rat panda' (don't own any). I don't like the Lunar Panda Rooster from Lucky (don't own any). I definitely think the rooster from Andy is better. So, I'm not beholden to anyone. So, if I see a leg that looks like a tail (temple panda 2), I'll say so (and I'll say so as many times as I like). If I see a Panda that looks ridiculous (lucky's rooster) I'll say so. I don't care if people get upset. I happen to think that the Garden Panda looks great. I don't care if it is a private mint or official - or as you say, a BMW vs. Lada, not sure what that is. No one can determine what may or may not be a Picasso tomorrow or years down the road. If memory serves me correctly the Xi Shi is all the rave!! Folks love that medal. Gues what? Private Mint!! I think folks would accurately call it a 'Picasso.' Guess what? Not made from any of the official mints (I don't any).

I happen to be a buyer of the Garden Panda. It is nice, and the price point is very inexpensive, and it is low mintage. All things I personally like. But I certainly won't buy overpriced, hyped medals, such as the Antique Temple Panda 2, fetching $500.00 (or attempting to get). I know price gouging when I see it...and I think others do too. Anyway, I'm not a sponsor of any series. I'm not getting paid to hype anything. And I'm not partners with anyone. Period, end of story. Oh, and I guess, I like a good debate on these forums. Lol. If you call what I'm doing for Lucky 'propelling' him, then what do you call the praise you give to anything and everything Andy does (I wonder how much you paid for that Antique Temple Panda 2 - surely not $500.00 - lol)? :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Coins A-Z likes this.
  17. barsenault

And by the way, if memory serves me correctly, Andy (aka...trouble) left CCF/LBC/and the other CCF for the same reasons I did. And as far as the whack job over at LBC/CCF site, let's just say that I wasn't the only one fed up with that crazy man's antics, as others have been paying less attention to that site. It appears there is only one person talking to himself on a regular basis.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  18. numistacker

numistacker Member

I enjoy talking to Andy and Lucky and Barsanault all have lots of interesting perspectives. AS for my decisions with my personal cash I am a buyer of Panda Temple of Heaven #2 which was delivered today and which is spectacular and I am a buyer of the Garden Panda from Lucky. There is a pricing strategy between Andy and Lucky and both have produced some superlative works. Andy and Lucky are equal on the Panda Lunar series and I have Lucky #1 and #3 and Andy #2 and #3 and this year will buy from both.

Andy created the TOH #2 that in my view has some of the best detail execution of any similar Panda medal i can think of (it is a work of art). Lucky created the amazing Nanjing Panda 2016 that is a brilliant design and big sell out. The garden panda is innovative in its shape and looks to be well executed. I have ordered 1 set of 6 and 2 sets of 5 and I will be getting them all graded by NGC when I have them. At Lucky's price point its a no brainer - I dont have to think hard if I can afford to buy I just have to get in quickly and I would urge you guys to get in and mop up the last few.

Andy's pricing is not as affordable as Lucky generally and I have been buying less because i earn in £ and he prices in $ and so my pounds dont stretch as far as they did. I also think that to flip a purchase from Andy is more difficult as his pricing is generally too high for there to be a quick and profitable exit strategy for all pre-order buyers.

That said - Andy tries very hard to create a quality product and a lot of effort goes into creating a product deserving of the premium. There are slips in quality for example TOH #1 and the TOH gold 3g coin that has not graded brilliantly but he strives to get better and I like that.

What i will say is that our little market niche needs to get bigger if this is to be the golden age of limited edition china medals and we all need to attract more friends into this most interesting pursuit so that the demand rises and rises over time. Its clear that there is a huge enthusiasm and enjoyment that those who have "found" this area exhibit and there seeems no reason why the numbers could not grow considerably.

There is room for Andy and Lucky and other sponsors and more room for us to encourage them both and commend them for their good work.

Coins A-Z and TasAg like this.
  19. barsenault

Great insight Numistacker. Thanks for sharing.

Coins A-Z likes this.
  20. perfulator

perfulator Member

I'm not adressing mr barsenault, but you other guys. No way i can buy everything, so why should i bother with products not attractive to me. There is only one Nanjing panda i like (unfortunately not the one i have lol). So if mr Barsenault is unhappy with my positive comments, then i can only offer negative comments on other medals (sometimes i do), but i prefer to let them pass. Taste is different. Sick....