Is Poloniex the next Mt. Gox?

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by leo25, Jun 6, 2017.

1. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I read many people talking about the issues Poloniex has with withdrawals not be approved, but i didn't listen. Then the other day i did a crypto withdrawal and for some reason this time they had some issue (which i have no idea what) and it's been stuck as "awaiting approval" for over 2 days now! Apparently support is so back logged with issues it can take weeks before support even responds to your issue. And in the mean time there is nothing you can do, but wait and hope you can get your crypos back.

Something very dodge is going on with Poloniex. My advice is don't be another fool that thinks everything will be fine until it's not! Find a better exchange.

2. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If Poloniex goes down then, yes, I think that could be as devastating for the crypto market as when Mt Gox went down.

I think their issues are with handling the load. They have had DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service) attacks and they seem to struggle with support and technical issues when things get a bit manic. What brought down Mt Gox, however, was a security breach. I hope we don't see it at Poloniex, but to my eye it is the number #1 crypto exchange so it holds the pre-eminent position Mt Gox did....

My strategy is - Get in, make your exchange and GTFO as quick as possible, preferably when it is quieter so there is less likely to be load issues. I wouldn't want to be trying to get anything out of there during a panic.

Altima likes this.
  3. Midastouchofgold

Midastouchofgold Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeh by the sounds of things they are dodgy. I just used this https://changelly.com/ for a BTC to ripple exchange, and it went really well. They do about 30 coins. I will be using them in the future.

4. leo25

Yep that's what I do, but this time I wasn't able to get out. I think their issue is more then just DDOS attacks. Time will tell what the real issues is, but there is definitely something dodgy going on.

5. leo25

Poloniex just shut down their online user chatting box. I guess too many people were complaining of issues and they didn't want everyone seeing this. 4 days now and i still haven't heard anything from them regarding why my withdrawal is pending.

NOT LOOKING GOOD.

6. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmm, Poloniex without the Trollbox is so calming.

Are you having issues increasing your withdrawal limits? Or did you try to withdraw some coins off the exchange and it's not being approved?

7. leo25

I went to withdraw some crypto to put back into my wallet and it's been stuck as "awaiting approval" for 4 days now. This seems to be happening to a lot of people.
    They say it's got to do with security checks and someone has to manually ok the withdrawal, but that's BS. Something is going on and they are trying to buy time.

In the mean time there is nothing i can do and no one i can contact. There are people complaining that weeks have gone by without support responding to issues.

The fact they didn't want people seeing all the complaints on the Trollbox is not a good sign.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  8. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds more likely they are having trouble handling the increased demand for their services.

9. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

try to get all your coins into a private wallet before august.
    least if you hold the private key, your safe regardless of which way the chain goes.
    there will be many big holders doing this, so a lot of btc will be withdrawn, so the sooner you all do this the better.

leo25 likes this.
  10. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a lot of that money might move into ethereum around that time. Possibly a few of the other alts as well.

At least that's what I'm balancing a few decisions on.

11. leo25

I can understand if everyone's orders got delayed a few hours due to increase demand, this is what happens on the bitcoin network during heavy usage. But why would it cause them to stop withdrawals from happening for weeks??
    It sounds more like a mt.Gox to me. mt.Gox started doing the same stuff and then saying oh it's just due to increased demand and everything will be ok... welll we all know what happened.

12. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

and it hapened with crypsy

im holding eth in my own wallet at least i know its safe(ish)

13. leo25

another day and still nothing :(

14. ninteno

ninteno Member

I have a open ticket for 7 days now without any response. I was only 1LSK to check if deposit works.
    I you would have sent more its very bad. Any experiance using bittrex for trading smaller volume altcoins ?

Comment on Polo
    To meet the increasing demands on support staff, the Trollbox has been disabled indefinitely and moderators have been reallocated to assist in support.

15. leo25

This guy is talking about the issues going on at Poloniex.

16. leo25

I opened a new ticket today as it's been 5 days since i opened my last ticket with no reply. The ticket count has increased by 14,000 in 5 days! that's 2800 every day :( a lot of unhappy people.

17. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Been using them for just under a week with Zero issues at all, deposits, trades, withdrawals have all gone smoothly.
    My only issue is the 2K $U.S withdrawal limit and the timeframe of getting the 25 K limit verification seems to be very loong.

On the other hand it seems like a smart move by the operators, as it will limit any issues with a run on the exchange when/if things crash and
    avert a rush for the exits.

I have been withdrawing the limit each day and have another five to go to be comfortable with what I hold there for trading coin.

With the recent phenomenal rush to Alts you would have to expect a sharp increase in demand on these services and a resultant backlog of problems arriving from newbies who don't really know how things work as well. IlE probably over half the issues are as a result of new users not knowing or understanding how the interface works and clogging up the ticket system, maybe 10% extra are "real" issues that are caught up in the influx of new user issues and taking more time to handle.

I'm actually loving POLO at the moment, been trading Lisk, Bitshare, ETH and BTC daily for a tidy 7 k + profit over the last five days alone on the swings.

18. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeap, I have a ticket with Polo as well. Trying to increase my limits but I don't have much on there. Just taking a precaution.

19. leo25

Glad you haven't had any issues with them, but remember me and many others had no issues with them too up until the point we had an issue. So don't create a false sense of security for yourself.

And regarding your claim that only 10% of tickets are real issues, I think it's closer to 50%.

20. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can only relay my own experience with them so far, have deposited over 20 K of Alts, traded and withdrawn nearly half of the initial amount all smoothly with absolutely zero issues at all despite all the influx of new customers, traded many multiple times daily with no problems and my only issue is the delay on the second tier withdrawal with certification.

What Alt was your problem with If I might ask ?