What to do with 1/20 or 1gr coin?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Lunardragon, May 19, 2017.

1. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hello All,

Just try to get some ideas what do you guys do with 1/20 coins or 1gr maples?

Do you leavevthem in the certicard or made them as charms for bracelets?

[LD]

2. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do whatever you like with them. My wife has a 1/10 oz gold kangaroo in a pendant she likes to wear. I sometimes dismantle certicards to check for fakes. But keep in mind they may be worth slightly less after this.

Lunardragon likes this.
  3. nutshell

nutshell Active Member

Note that 999 gold will wear very quickly and over time polishing will soften the details. 916 gold is even too soft in some long term wear cases, e.g. wedding rings, although ok for "dangling' type jewelry and chains. My wife is from Malaysia. She and her family would never think of purchasing anything less than 916 jewelry and the shop they have used since the 70's doesn't really stock much of anything other than 916. I've never seen much sense in 1g or other very small weight 999 gold items when considering the premium. However, that being said I just picked some PM 1g cards here at SS for a b'day present at a reasonable price and having yesterday seen some 1g cards from the Istanbul Gold Refinery at Perth Bullion Co. I am tempted to purchase a couple for their novelty.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    SilverSiren and Lunardragon like this.
  4. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i just picked up a 1gram maple for fun. I'm going to crack it open, i just hope i don't lose it after as it's so small :)

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a 1gm valcambi bar. I am just waiting for gold to find its real value then I will swap it for a house. Until then it sits in a large capsule so it doesn't get lost. I can't think of any other use for it. I also have a 1/50 oz bar, no idea why, it must have been on sale.

GoldenEye likes this.
  6. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hahahhaa

7. Paul

Paul Member

96.5% is standard in Thailand for both jewelry and bullion.

Personally, I think it is a good idea as 96.5% can not be electroplated.

Wear is not as much of a problem as dents, as it is rather soft.

However, the cost to recycle it into new jewelry is only about 5% of spot value, as labor is very cheap here.

Unfortunately, the wife very seldom recycles, and does so only in cases of severe damage or after somehow acquiring something she then really doesn't like anymore.

The only significant amount I can remember her getting rid of came from her wedding to her first husband.

Generally, anything "unwanted" goes into the safety deposit box at the bank and she then buys more.

Or just buys more anyway based on most any excuse.

We kept all the gold we bought for our daughter when she was little, the ankle bracelets, bracelets necklaces, etc.

There were quite a bunch of them as she outgrew stuff quickly, and gold was much cheaper back then than now.

When gold prices were ramping-up towards peak levels about 9 years ago, and our daughter was 3-4 years old, I told the wife to not put gold on the daughter anymore except for special occasions.

It was getting to the point that she was sometimes wearing gold worth 1 - 2 years income of average people here, and I was afraid somebody would steal her for the gold!

Lunardragon likes this.
  8. Paul

Paul Member

They probably spend most of their time looking for them.

9. nutshell

nutshell Active Member

When we were married almost all the gifts we received were gold chains .... almost all since traded off against jewelry purchases and a few given as gifts. Talking to a friend awhile back who had also married in Malaysia and he had never given all the gold chains gifted at his wedding a thought until recently He just put them all in a jar which 20 some years later has gone walkabout. LOL

Lunardragon likes this.
  10. Paul

Paul Member

To get the lowest premium in Thailand requires buying 5 baht weight bars, about 2 ounces of .965% gold.