EPA Allows Copper, Gold Mine Company to Pursue Permits in Bristol Bay, Alaska

Discussion in 'Gold' started by leon1998, May 13, 2017.

1. leon1998

leon1998 Member

Bad news for gold stackers.

2. leon1998

leon1998 Member

JUNEAU, Alaska — In a sharp reversal, the Environmental Protection Agency has cleared a way for the company seeking to develop a massive copper and gold deposit near the headwaters of a world-class salmon fishery in southwest Alaska to pursue permits.

As part of a court settlement with the Pebble Limited Partnership, the EPA agreed to begin the process of withdrawing proposed restrictions on development in the Bristol Bay region, an area that produces about half of the world's sockeye salmon.

The agreement, released Friday, comes four months into the Trump administration, which supporters of the proposed Pebble Mine hoped would give it a fairer shake than they believed they received under President Barack Obama.

The mining industry has seen promising signs from the administration, including a willingness to take a different look at projects and to review regulations seen as overly burdensome, said Luke Popovich, a spokesman for the National Mining Association.

3. Noxx

Noxx Member

Wow this is HUGE. I thought I'd never see the day. They say there is 100 years of silver and gold in that mine. But it's been railroaded over and over again. That is going to dump a massive amount of silver and gold on the market. Probably be many many years before it's up and running though if they do get permits. They better get them fast because who knows what the next administration will do. I have a feeling they will still be fighting this for a long time though. They have a ton of opposition. And it actually does seem quite dangerous to the water and surrounding area and life. But will create billions of dollars. Better hope they are extra careful.

4. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

anyone here think lean walks around like this having conversations with himself?
    hqdefault.jpg

leo25 likes this.
  5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's goods, more gold and silver means it's more accessible and cheaper.
    It's only a problem if you are a hoarder, for traders the extra volume means more opportunity to make money.

In anycase it will be a while.

6. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Until someone develop technology to get the gold out of salt water.

However 60 tonnes a year is still a lot for a minor industry.