2017 1oz Silver Swan from Perth Mint, Mintage 25000

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by brisbane-coins, Apr 2, 2017.

1. 11471147

11471147 Active Member

They're already on eBay for around AUD60 - 80.
    for anyone who bought from apmex, what's the price in AUD? About AUD38 - AUD40 with shipping? That's still good if you really want the coin. There's still 2386 available at apmex. Any Australians buy the swan coin through them?

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

From APMEX: details of coin. I understand why this first is going nuts.

New from the Perth Mint is this limited mintage Silver bullion coin with a unique Swan design! The Silver Swan coin has a limited mintage of 25,000 coins made of .9999 fine Silver. This coin is the first in what's expected to be an annual series of 1 oz limited mintage Silver Swan bullion coins with designs varying each year, much like the heralded Koala and Kookaburra coin series from Perth.

Coin Highlights:

Limited mintage of only 25,000 coins worldwide.

The Swan is an iconic species that is so synonymous with the Perth Mint itself that it even appears in the Mint's logo. The Perth Mint's operations are situated in the heart of Perth, the capital and largest city of Western Australia. Founded in 1829 on the shores of the Swan River, the original colony in the territory was in fact called Swan River Colony, the location of which is now Perth.

Perth grew rapidly in the late 19th century thanks to its rich deposits of natural resources such as oil, gas and perhaps most of all, Gold. From its origins the Perth Mint is in many ways personified by the Swan, a regal waterfowl that appears on the flag of Western Australia and symbolizes timelessness, elegance and beauty, much like the standard of coins produced by the Perth Mint itself.

The Perth Mint has a phenomenal reputation for producing high quality Silver bullion that also provides collectors the ability to collect an entire series that showcases different designs. Customers worldwide collect the Lunars, Kookaburras and Koalas due to their resell values and collectibility.

Swans are often a symbol of love and fidelity due to their long-lasting monogamous relationships. Swans are almost entirely herbivorous, though they will eat small amounts of aquatic animals. There are around seven different species of swan found around the world. Swans are classified as a threatened species mostly due to hunting and habitat loss. Pollution is also a contributing factor.

Protect your capsules from fingerprints by adding these cotton gloves to your order.

This swan is so lifelike that it appears to be ready to take flight off the coin itself. Add this spectacular 2017 1 oz Silver Swan.

3. clear

clear Well-Known Member

"At $12 over spot I still think they a reasonable buy"(and will still increase in premium).

BB how so ?

4. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Very curious to see if it has any sticking power or whether all the money will be made in short term flipping.

exclusive releases generally fizzle out as the months progress, having said that the design should have a broader appeal than most.
    Would have pounced on it if the market was healthier.

5. barsenault

Apmex seemed pretty confident that this would be a series. Has any of our Aussie friends confirmed with the mint? At 25k, for the 1st in the series...it sure does look like a nice coin.

6. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Six months later, every dealer will sell them at a few dollars over spot.

7. Brad_886

Brad_886 Active Member Silver Stacker

Find me a 2014 wedge tail eagle or a dragon/Phoenix for a couple dollars over spot, people love limited releases and will pay a premium to add to their collection, I understand where most of you are coming from but I suspect most of you collect silver for silver value, not the intrinsic or numismatic value, after all, the site is silver stackers not semi numi coin stackers, but if people want to pay a premium and I can buy some more physical from the profits why not take advantage?
    It may be a gamble but isn't this whole silver and gold game a gamble?

8. Aureus

I agree it has potential, more than most even, but it ticks all the boxes of being a crapshoot to me.
    I think it's a very smart buy if your intention is to sell into the hype, but i'd suggest against a longterm hold based purely on historical odds.

My biggest concern with stuff like this is that you need to justify they will age better than similarly priced pandas, kooks and lunars. If/When silver decides to pop, premiums on the old faithfuls do the same, generally to the determent of nearly everything else.
    Each to their own though, would be nice to see them do well longterm (and stay milkspot free).

9. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

27.33 USD = 35.95AUD

So pricing on par with BB I would think

10. 11471147

11471147 Active Member

hard to imagine a coin, that sells out in less than one day, falling in value.
    especially when it has a low mintage and is first in a series.

any examples of any other coins with similar variables falling in value over time?
    i can't find any.

11. Aeroforce

Aeroforce New Member

Went back to apmex.com to buy some more...up to 28.40USD. I'm out.

Seems like sales are booming. Glad I got some Swans earlier. This will be interesting to watch develop.

12. Aeroforce

Aeroforce New Member

Apmex is down to 1,886 Silver Swans. I don't know how many they were allotted, but they've sold a boat load in less than 24 hours...now down 10 more to 1876.

Hoping this is the start of a successful series.

13. Aureus

I'm not touching that one, other longterm members might have something to say about it though.

14. Brad_886

Brad_886 Active Member Silver Stacker

Hype makes people do silly things, people will pay whatever they think is a fair price at the time, I call it the "must have now" curse, where people pay silly money for things that they desire, for example the dragon/Phoenix errors, pretty much everyone on here says that they not worth premium, probably not in the long term, but it doesn't stop me from selling now for 150 - 200 a piece on eBay with not much trouble

If you buy at the top of the market and don't react quick enough to changes you will always loose money, buying @ 40/oz + premium and not selling when the market is in a massive nosedive is silly

Did I mention gold and silver is a gamble???? No one knows where the market is heading, could be worth $2/oz tomorrow, or stocks crash and it's $100/oz and we all laugh to the bank

I see coins like this as a quick turnover, take advantage of the hype and profit from it. Which if you look back is quite often the case with coins like these just As BB showed in the link in the post above.

15. barsenault

24, 28 30's is not silly for a nice semi-numi bullion coin. The early year kooks (1992 -2008) are still commanding high premiums over spot. I think 50, 60, 70's with spot around these prices would be very silly (and your supposed error dragon coins). But at 24 it was a no brainer, at 28 you take pause, and at 35, a person is probably buying 1 for the collection. Anything more than that at this point is nuts. Oh, I'm talking U.S. $.

I agree with BB, these will see higher prices, if it becomes a series, and I'm sure the PM is seeing dollar signs, as they watch these things fly off the shelf. My bet is they will be a series (Apmex said as much, and they ain't dummies), and the next one won't have a mintage of 25k. I can't imagine them keeping the mintage at 25k if they continue the series. That alone makes this one very special. 1st in the series (potentially), and increase mintage (potentially), and beautiful designs (potentially). If all these stars line up, this will be another successful series.

kutylin likes this.
  16. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

how to tell if the swan is white or black ?
    is this carded swan ?

17. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

One big bullion dealer in Europe has them listed on their site at about $55 each.

18. justsilver

justsilver Active Member

I bought at this price

[​IMG]

then Apmex raised prices 4 times within few hours.

19. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes that was roughly the issue price here,about $32.80 from memory yesterday in quantities above 20

20. barsenault

Wow, that is nuts!! $55.00. That's borderline thievery. Hopefully no one is buying at those prices, but they know they can get them at APMEX, even at $28.00 vs. 55.00...holly MOLLY that is nuts. Good for you Justsilver...looks like you got the low.

The real test will be what happens when folks like you and others get the coins, and look to sell them on the secondary market. Will they fall down to $21.00 a coin. Lol. Tic, toc, time will tell. Just look at the Lunar Dragon S2. $100 each? Ouch. Now you can get them for for almost a 1/3rd of the cost.

I do believe fair value in time on these swan (again, if a series, and if spot stays around current prices) will be about 35 -40.00. Just my humble opinion for those who bought. I think AMPEX will price these at 30.00 at some point today.

P.S. Or you can buy those 'amazing' Krueggrand Silver Pieces for a mere $59.00 with a mintage of 1 million, and same design that's been out there forever. Yeah, those are sure to go up to 100.00 a piece. Lol. That has to be biggest rip off scam I've seen in a while.

kutylin likes this.