Watch fetish

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by spannermonkey, Jul 18, 2015.

1. 2nd_Hand_Gold_Man

2nd_Hand_Gold_Man Member

nice watches

2. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I work in heavy machineries and used heavy tools. Temperatures are extremes, rigors are tremendous and using this watch.
    This is a gift from my wife which i truly appreciate for its used. How long it will last? let see if their advertisement is true.

They advertised as the strongest watch to date, one of the resilient bracelet in the world, Resist water shock and pressure
    It surpassed 8 ton pressure resistance, Thermal shock and vibration resistance and 10 meter drop resistance

TECHNICAL FEATURES : I.N.O.X.

-Analog quartz movement
    -Anti reflection sapphire crystal
    -Steel case
    -Luminescent hands and/or markers
    -Screw-in case back
    -Screw-down crown
    -Date
    -End-of-life indicator
    -Steel bracelet
    -Swiss Made
    - 43 mm Stainless steel case (316L)
    -Quartz movement Ronda 715
    -Water-resistant to 200 m (20 ATM, 660 ft)
    -Temperature and shock resistant
    -Protected screw-down crown
    -Black dial
    -Delivered with a protective black bumper
    -Vibration-resistant steel bracelet

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

3. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

This is my everyday old faithfull wristwatch.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. CFP

CFP New Member

Man I cannot believe I did not see this thread earlier.
    Watches are a huge passion of mine, I own way too many.
    The missus always says that I am just as bad with watches as she is with shoes.
    Here are some of mine:

Daniel Wellington Cambridge.
    To be honest, I really only like it for the band, the watch doesn't really do it for me.
    Plus I got it for a great price from a mate that owns a shop, $60.
    For the price it is alright, they retail for (what I believe to be) an exorbitant price.
    There are some other good watch brands in this price range, I quite like "Winner" which is a Chinese
    brand and extremely affordable.

[​IMG]

This watch does get a lot of comments, most people seem to like it. Especially women.
    Maybe I should go buy stock in the company as you will now all go out and buy one!
    Possibly...
    Anyway, the watch itself is very thin and simplistic. I don't mind it but the plus is that it's unlike any other watch I own.
    I don't think I would pay full price for this watch. There are several very high quality copies on Ali Express
    for about $10 AUD. I have seen these up close and it is extremely hard to tell the difference.

I normally wear the above when I am going out to somewhere "preppy" or I am surrounded by hipsters which
    thankfully is not that often.

Some of my other watches:

[​IMG]

Some watches I inherited off my dad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above watch is a Felicia Deluxe, I do not know much about them, I have only seen a few around.
    Another jeweler mate wears one and he loves it, he cannot speak highly enough about them.
    A nice watch, I keep it more for sentimental sake, I also have my fathers tag and his fathers Rolex Oyster
    but I never take them out of the safe.

My seikos which are among my favorites, Seiko make very, very good watches. The movements are incredible for the cost.

[​IMG]

I purchased the above seiko about ten years ago in Kuwait after being deployed to the middle east.
    The band needs repairing.

[​IMG]

Another Seiko I purchased in Perth.

My mum's fathers seiko, date it was made was June 1960.
    You can tell by the serial numbers.

[​IMG]

Still holds time almost perfectly after 55 years!

My wife bought me this seiko below, it is solar powered and at the moment my daily wearer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above watch is my everyday bush bashing watch, if I am going bush or doing something rough I normally chuck this guy
    on. The brand is a Chinese brand called "Infantry", it was about $15 and has served me well. I bought it
    purely for the name, once a grunt, always a grunt.

I have a couple more but they are off property including my date just.

6. tave

tave Member

I've got a Emporio Armani watch fetish.

Only got one but every time I see them in jewellers window I get so tempted to buy another one, then it's "hold on you can buy more silver with that much money".

It's only a matter of time before I do it's not like I have a black, white or blue one yet!

Bought one for my ex when we were together and defiantly buy our son one when he's the right age.

[​IMG]

7. Bullion Pirate

Bullion Pirate New Member

Stuhrling isn't one i'd fully recommend, but I wear mine almost every day. I'm not afraid of breaking it, but it is the most complemented watch I own.... the comment on this one is right, it tends to stop. I wind it manually if I dont wear it for a day, otherwise it can't wind on movement alone. It needs a mixture of both to survive.... no biggie. I've taken it into the ocean, pools, showers, spas and it still looks and works like new.... It looks AMAZING. Depending on what you're looking for it fits the bill, but it's not top of the line by any means.

I'll post pics of my collection tomorrow

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wa...ess-Steel-Bracelet-Watch/8755392/product.html

8. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Here's a watch for anyone with a lazy USD$475,000 lying around. :eek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV-SZQcS23Q[/youtube]

9. SteveS

SteveS Member

It bugs the crap out of me when, on Antiques Roadshow, some ugly pile of crap cupboard that should be tossed on a fire is valued at $15,000 and a gorgeous, handcrafted fob watch with sublime workmanship is valued at $3,000.

Dungeddit.

10. kangawoo

kangawoo New Member

1880's Waltham, Sterling Brooklyn watch co case, and solid gold RAOB fob.
    [​IMG]
    Source:

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Parents asked kid what he wanted for his birthday.

He replied, "I wanna watch", so they let him!

woops , sorry, i will leave now. Old jokes are always the worst.

OC

12. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I like my citizen eco drive solar watch. Inexpensive, waterproof and reliable so far. No bells and whistles, just the time, date and a stopwatch.. And it isn't too large as to look ridiculous on the wrist.

The last manual watch that I had didn't last the distance.

66rounds likes this.
  13. SteveS

SteveS Member

I used to have a moderate watch collection, though nothing outrageously expensive - just Tissots and the like. My favourite brand is Certina, who build some really tough watches at reasonable prices.

I prefer simple, traditional dials/faces, thin-edged cases (the bit of the case around the dial) and of course sapphire crystal glass. I'm not a big fan of modern, oversized chronograph designs.

My best buy was a Certina Titanium DS-1 that I picked up on eBay for AUD80. I got it serviced for $45 and it's been perfect ever since.

[​IMG]

14. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I know that this is an old post Claw but do you know anything about the Incentivate watches? They make miners watches but at a minimum you need to buy 12.
    http://www.incentivate.com.au/

What makes a watch Underground Mine Safe?

Our Underground Mine Safe Watches are built in solid stainless steel cases with glass case backs. They use an automatic movement that has no battery or electrical power source or reserve.

This lack of electrical current satisfies the Mine Safety requirements for dangerous goods in underground mines that may contain methane gas. So where with a quartz watch you need a Mines Approved Watch, with a non battery automatic watch it is by nature, mine safe.

We have a glass case back so they can be easily checked at the mine face for Mine Safe compliance.

They are all built to 5ATM - 50 meter - 150 feet water resistance.

Mines Approved Watches

As we state in our section above, all our underground Mine Safe Watches run automatic movements without batteries.

So they do not need Mines Approval to be used in underground coal/methane mines.

Our Underground Mine Safe watches have a glass back so visual inspections can be made to ensure our automatic movements comply with mine safety requirements.

We have manufactured Underground Mine Safe watches for most of the world major coal miners such as BHP Billiton, Xstrata, Peabody, Rio Tinto, Vale, DML and many more.

What about Aboveground Mining Watches?

In an above ground environment we can use quartz analogue or digital movements as they do not generally create a danger.

We still only make these watches from quality stainless steel cases and run the best movements from Seiko Instruments, Seiko Epson, Time Module and Citizen Watch company Japan.

All are well waterproofed and those specifications are shown on each watch models pages.

15. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nyar Napth... dunno anything about them.
    I don't go underground anymore and about the only watch that I haven't been able to destroy has been the Casio G-Shocks..even my 'dress' watch is a G-Shock

this is my pride and joy Mudmaster

[​IMG]

this is my work watch beside it GX-56 or King of the G-Shocks :cool:

[​IMG]

16. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For anyone that is interested in this whole quartz mumbo jumbo, here's a fantastic video on how they made the quartz wafers for tuning the frequencies on WW2 radio sets. The principal is the same for anything with a quartz circuit..including quartz springs who's electrical impedance changes when "squashed" (you'll see them doing this is in the movie)

If you put a DC electrical current into a quartz crystal it will vibrate at an extremely consistent frequency (pulses). The watches circuitry counts these pulses (many thousands per second) and when enough have been counted.. the watch ticks over its 'seconds' hand... and the process repeats.

The thickness of the wafer detirmines its frequency and while the process is a lot more automated these days, its amazing to see the effort that was entailed in the early days (not that long ago really).

For those of you interested in geology, much of what is entailed in this video chemistry, crystallography, slide preparation, petrographic microscopy is the bread and butter of a geologist job.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy23Us3nrX8[/youtube]

17. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

Cool documentary.
    You can tel i am from NZ as the first thing that really struck me was at the 5 minute mark when the guy grabbed the big box of crystals all by himself.
    In NZ today that would be a major health and safety violation lifting that much weight all by yourself, LOL.
    I really hate the new world being created around us with all the new rules and PC attitudes.

18. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Here's mine.
    2006 (I think) yachtmaster platinum.

[​IMG]

19. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

It's a damned shame that 'swatch' is patched around the rim (absolutely no bonus points from watch lovers), but I shit you negative - this has gained much female attention, which means it's currently my watch-of-choice! ~$260, automatic but needs tuning every 2 days or so. Edit: I am in my 20's, so probably suits my age bracket. And couldn't see myself getting away with it in later years (like driving a Toyota 86 instead of a Porsche).

20. kangawoo

kangawoo New Member

My new old trench watch.
    [​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

Still works, and looks shit hot imo, wonder if we will say the same about an Apple iwatch in 100+ years

BenKenobi, Yappy and Clawhammer like this.