Where is the decimal note market right now

Discussion in 'Banknotes' started by Thor's way, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Thor's way

Thor's way New Member

Hi all, this is my first post, as i slowly build my stack. hope it is directed correctly to this forum.
    I would like to add to the stack so was looking into where the 'Notaphilists' in this forum feel the Australian decimal notes are positioned at present as far as trading or holding for a more active marketplace.
    I live in the bush so do not have ready access to face to face valuations, but was told by a dealer/auctioneer recently that there is not a lot of interest in paper notes.
    I have some high value notes in the $20.00 denomination and others with first and last prefixes that rate high in (McDonalds 2015 book), thinking of turning them into bullion.
    Any opinions or your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Book values were pushed up by the likes of the rare coin company and auction values on notes are a fraction of their CV and many get lashed in. There is still demand for high grade rare notes (eg star notes,fdc 1st/last prefix COA notes, specimen notes etc)

3. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A 1976 20 dollar side thread cv 500 unc. just sold 10 mins ago at auction for 60.00 and i missed it. So that tells you something.There is interest but for bargain prices.

4. IndoHound

IndoHound New Member

If you put them into eBay at close to face you risk getting slaughtered. Best approach a friendly auctioneer willing to accept your 'reserves'.

5. magpie1972

magpie1972 Member

Hi there, Been collecting bank notes for a couple years. Replies are pretty spot on. Ebay Auctions can net some bargains and conversely if enough people are looking at the time you list something special good money can be made - hit and miss really. Therefore a lot of people unrealistically list crazy buy it now prices hoping to jag a sale but these notes just keep getting re-listed in the main. I can't stress enough that grading is key to values, the amount of rags listed sometimes 2 or 3 full grades above their actual condition is common and confusing for people just starting out. By all means insure your notes for CV but you will never realise those Cv's unless you have an ancient pre-decimal in UNC condition of which only a handful are known to exist worldwide. Shoot me a P.M with what you have and what bulliion you are after, won't hurt to have a look? Cheers

6. magpie1972

magpie1972 Member

In answer to your question, sorry, whilst investment returns are not so great in traditional sectors banknotes are remain a good thing, again provided they are interesting examples. Just finished up on Noble's last Sydney action as an online buyer and demand was strong for good and rare notes. Had to chase a few over and above where I wanted to pay. So the answer is the market from where I see it is good.