Where to sell

Discussion in 'Gold' started by GeordieGirl, Dec 13, 2022.

1. GeordieGirl

GeordieGirl Active Member

Hi guys, just been lurking for a while but now I have a question.

I want to sell a couple of small gold bars - just 3 x 10gm Perth Mint and a 1oz Pamp as I'm a broke pensioner and need some cash, but I have no idea where to sell.
    I thought of eBay but it's too unreliable and I refuse to pay their extortionate fees.
    Marketplace is also not ideal for a number of reasons.
    Can someone point me in the right direction please.
    Thank you for any guidance and direction.

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

lucky luke and GeordieGirl like this.
  3. GeordieGirl

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware that I can sell on here - as you pointed out I already have some trades history. I was actually wondering about any other places outside the forum - in case no one on here is interested.

I think you need to be a little bit careful about what you say to people, Just because someone is older and/or a pensioner, it doesn't mean they are senile or losing their mind.
    I am sure you had the best of intentions, but what you said was both insulting and patronising.
    You come across as very young to have even considered that I, as a senior person, am possibly losing my mind just because I am such.
    It is probably better in future just to stick to the subject of answering the asked question and not hand out unsolicited advice to a complete stranger on a forum.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    sammysilver likes this.
  4. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fair dinkum. Selling precious metals when broke in a time of need can be a desperate situation and these things happen to those less fortunate who are often most at risk of being scammed especially if vulnerable. I've seen it before and it's tragic, so I do feel compelled to say something. I'm surprised that this offends you but not surprised that the old want to stomp on the young. Hopefully you find a better outlet for your grouchiness. I think it was after midnight that I responded so must have missed that you were looking for places to sell outside the forum, it didn't seem that clear aye, especially as you said you've been 'lurking' when you have clearly been participating on the forum, suggesting forgetfulness.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    lucky luke likes this.
  5. GeordieGirl

Look! I'm not going to get into an argy bargy with you, but:

1) I realised in retrospect that I didn't make it as clear as I could that I was also looking for places outside the forum, for which I apologise.

2) I appreciate your concern for older people getting sucked into scammers and as I said in my previous comment, I'm sure you had the best of intentions. You are absolutely correct, it is tragic when people fall for scammers and other such low-lifes. But it is still best not to make assumptions about other peoples' situations when you know nothing about them.

3) I'm not grouchy or ever feel it necessary to 'stomp on the young' and that comment says more about you and your attitude than it does about me and mine.

4) The reason I said I have been lurking is because I haven't really participated on here for quite sometime - probably about 3 years - not because I have forgotten I have ever been on here. After that amount of time, forgetfulness would probably extend to forgetting the forum even existed.

Thank you for the link to the selling page. Enjoy the rest of your day. :)

6. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A day from hell but tomorrow we start anew!

GeordieGirl likes this.
  7. Timmy88

Timmy88 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If your located in Melbourne walk in to bullion now in the cbd they will give you spot price, no hassle, no risk and paid in cash on the spot.

mid your chasing a little premium then I am yet to find a better place that our sales section, but you have to put a little more work in, take decent photos, write up an add, answer questions and in general put a bit more work into it.

Best of luck
    Timmy

1Tim58, lucky luke and GeordieGirl like this.
  8. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good advice from the members above
    Your alternatives are
    • eBay & get raped 12%+ in fees
    • face book bullion market place (free no fees) with an excellent DR5 (Dealer feed back rating system worth squat),fake profiles and people who potentially haven't been vetted diligently.Seller beware.
    • Gold buyers who will rape you spot minus 8%
    • SilverStackers selling page that will give you minimum spot and maybe above.
    Now your wording shows all experienced members that you are fresh of the boat without a life jacket.When you are offered help no need to make a song and dance about it.We truly care that you are not taken advantage of and that you have a smooth transaction and experience here.The fact that your older is doubly important to us all in the fact that we are going to shepherd your sale towards a positive experience.Being astute with great intellect has no bearing on getting scammed (See FTX) we are just hear to welcome you to a great community.
    Now get selling, peace be with you.

9. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do you guys not have a local newspaper or a way to sell things locally?

10. GeordieGirl

Not sure I would want to sell precious metals via a newspaper. That would be as bad as selling on FB Marketplace.

JohnnyBravo300 likes this.
  11. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im not sure about your area but its not uncommon here. You can even go to the Saturday farmers markets downtown and pick up some silver or buy things with it if you wanted.

My son has bought and sold some locally and they meet at Walmart or a public place and it seems to be fine.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    spannermonkey likes this.
  12. GeordieGirl

I'm in Australia and to my knowledge, things don't hapen that way down here. :)

13. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Gumtree
    Ive sold plenty of PM via that platform

14. mybullion.com.au

mybullion.com.au Active Member

Hi GeordieGirl,

Hope you managed to sell your items, but if not even better still as gold has gone up significantly since you first posted.

In that case you should check us out: https://mybullion.com.au/sell/ We're currently paying above spot ;)

More info here

GeordieGirl likes this.
  15. 1Tim58

1Tim58 Active Member Silver Stacker

She's in Australia.