Selling gold in italy

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Gac72, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Gac72

Gac72 New Member

Good afternoon,
    Heading to Italy at the end of the year and wondering can anyone recommend a bullion dealer to possibly unload some gold?
    cheers

2. Golden Stash

Golden Stash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A foreigner selling gold in Italy, wanting cash I assume.
    Is that a safe idea??

3. SteelHand

SteelHand Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Gac72

Gac72 New Member

Hi gentlemen,
    Thanks for your responses.
    I did the google think but I thought id put the feelers out to see if anyone had an insiders tip. Not needing cash, however was thinking selling in Italy would avoid carrying that cash and avoiding bank fees for this that and the other and whatever else they want to charge, so seeing what fee the bullion dealer will charge will be interesting, bit of an experiment really. Because we don’t get a lot for the aus dollar in Europe I thought maybe sell some gold?
    Cheers

5. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The above makes no sense at all.
    Cash is lighter than gold and more easily concealable, so your most likely going to take a percentage hit selling in an unknown market place thats going to pay you X below spot.
    Sell your gold here for a premium convert to what ever currency suits your travels and your good to go or put that money onto an international accepted credit card or debit card.
    If you forgo the above advice at least you can come back with a 'How I got rolled in Italy story' thats at least good for a free beer down the pub.

6. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I understand about the 'adventure' part - and I think it'll be feasible to sell if you have a right coin. The coin shops I've seen in Italy (not many, tbh) are of the 'old-school' style. Think ancient and pre-wars European coins.
    Luckily AUD is currently doing ok against EUR.
    How about set up a Wise account as backup and apply for a Wise debit card. These multi-currency accounts are super-convenient for travel as all the transactions are done in local currency (if there's available currency on the account, debit will default to using that). You can also do very cheap ATM withdrawals up to a limit.

https://wise.com

If you can find someone on this forum who has surplus EUR on their Wise account, you could even sell your gold locally here, for EUR, that you could then use in Italy. :cool:

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  7. Gac72

Gac72 New Member

Hi Gentlemen,
    Currently in Italy and have been for the last month, sold a couple of once of gold in Milano no problem what so ever, the little guy was excited to see perth mint metal, all that worry for nothing.
    arrivederci