Packaging How to by Existing members

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by REDBACK, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Aelfred

Aelfred Active Member

I know I'm a year late here, but a bit of methylated spirits on a cloth completely takes the sticky stuff off anything. I've used it when people have put tape on capsules and it works like a charm. Also just really handy to know in everyday life, so much stuff is needlessly sticky because not enough people know that trick. For jars/plastic/fridges/surfaces etc, metho is the way to go.

REDBACK likes this.
  2. oziwassabi

oziwassabi Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Eucalyptus oil is another good option, does leave a residue u need to wipe with a cloth though

REDBACK and SilverBags like this.
  3. Shlomo Goldberg

Shlomo Goldberg Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just received the text message that no stacker ever wants to receive.
    “Mate I haven’t opened the package yet but I’m certain it’s not in the express post bag”.

The buyer did the right thing & notified me before videoing the opening.
    He was certain the object was not in the post bag.
    I was certain it was, as I take great care with my packaging. Nonetheless I was a bit nervous.
    Everything turned out fine as the package was received exactly as I had sent it. Phew!!

A timely reminder to take good care with your packaging & Pre set the terms of the sale.
    Too many of us (me included) rely on presumption & I think many of us need to be more professional in setting the terms should something go wrong.
    Happy ending, thank goodness.

4. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Acetone/Xylene/Toluene are the best imo

5. somerset

somerset Member Silver Stacker

Really helpful thread! Any advice on sending Perth Mint rolls securely without the rattle?

6. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Wrapped up in "thick bubble wrap" and box it. Make sure the box void is fill up.

Shlomo Goldberg, REDBACK and somerset like this.
  7. somerset

Do you try to find a bigger box or a smaller box? I guess if it's too small, it's easy to think it's valuable...

Can't imagine sending a monster box!

8. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Don't need to be over size as long it "Fit" the parcel sachet bag will do, make sure not too big it all will add up to weight.

somerset likes this.
  9. somerset

Signature on delivery seems like a must have, what about insurance with express post?

10. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Somerset brought up an interesting opening to a point & something I hadn't considered.Here are some of the standard Operating Procedures here on SS by existing community members for newer members or new to the Forum.
    Some recommended options and general suggestions to see the trade for both Buyer & Seller goes smoothly.
    • When closing a deal recommend you both exchange Mobile numbers so this information can be placed on the Express Post bag, also at time of scanning its quick and easy to take a picture of tracking numbers and forward by text without having to worry about jpeg download file size issues.
    • Express post + SOD is the 'preferred sending method' Buyers may ask for other Standard postage etc.Their choice, their risk.
    • PO Box-Protects your private address & stops the Postie dropping 5k of PM's at your front unattended=Fee service, varying rates https://auspost.com.au/receiving/manage-your-mail/po-boxes-and-private-bags
    • Parcel collect-Protects your private address & stops the Postie dropping 5k of PM's at your front unattended=Free/no cost https://auspost.com.au/receiving/collection-points/choose-a-post-office-for-deliveries
    • Hide the shape and form of heavier bars as well as lighter options by padding out the bag, nothing worse than receivingg a kilo bar packaged as a kilo bar
    • Use a Company sender description that accounts for high weight of item's such as 'Custom metal Chisel supplies'..'Custom order steel supplies Pty Ltd' etc
    • Pad out the bag for small gold coins
    • Wrapping doesn't have to be pretty, its not a vanity contest just functional so items are disguised in shape and possible content as well as well protected.
    • Insurance-'I haven't provided AusPost insurance for like ever. Copy & pasted from AusPost website
    8.1 No monies are payable under the Service for loss or damage relating to the carriage of articles:

8.1.1 containing bank notes, or bullion;

• Be aware, don't let your greed get in the way of good judgement when a Fresh of the boat no feedback member comes in like a F/A-18 Hornet crash landing on an aircraft carrier.Your money, your choice, your risk. Don't be a cry baby when things go south.Due diligence is everything.Asking for postage first is prudent but only if you yourself have established good feedback.
    To be continued, breakfast is a waiting

11. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

True, but an unnecessary expense if posting to a PO Box or Parcel locker.

adze67, jultorsk, Silverling and 3 others like this.
  12. mal

mal Member

Maybe put the address on the packed item inside if not registered on the off chance if the parcel gets damaged and no longer readable.

13. somerset

Thanks Redback and all for the info, I'm getting back into the swing of things and this thread is helpful.... I like your last points, should there be a pinned "rules of engagement" post?

14. REDBACK

I like the idea of a Rules of engagement or 'Trading etiquette' guidline but its been tried b4 and didnt find support,the problem is these would be subjective from one individual to another.
    The feedback system that SS has is remarkably good and perhaps more than makes up for zzz lack of formalised trading guidelines.On top of that we have always had AAA quality Admin/Mods and that seperates us from 95% of other forums.
    mmm.....Shiney! is doing a 'Sterling,Golden' job as the new admin..........hmm what pun?

15. somerset

No probs, I always had a good experience on SS but my memory is not what it once was. Cheers RB

16. Shlomo Goldberg

Shlomo Goldberg Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Spot on Redback.
    I also label the internal package too in case the packaging is damaged as Mal suggests.
    Photo of unwrapped item, wrapped item & item on the Auspost scales after the tracking is attached. photo of tracking number from the receipt. Then text straight away.

I had one stacker that forgot that he'd just moved house. I had forwarded the photos by text & fortunately he checked them straight away. Realising his mistake early, gave me time to get back to the PO & re-address the envelope.
    Chips advice about removing voids is good too. Sometimes I use reinforced silver tape to stop the package shifting too.
    Hard to quiet down a tube of encapsulated coins. maybe rags to deaden the sound. For loose tubed coins, a bit of foam to stop them rattling.

Golden ChipMunk and REDBACK like this.
  17. REDBACK

Received x3 10oz bars in mail.
    The Seller went above and beyond and was professional and courteous.
    But the methodology in packaging the bars could have been better to disguise their obvious size,weight,shape and form.
    This is not a bash but sometimes the method selected is not the best one for the purpose of security.
    I have uploaded the pics as the goods were unpacked.
    Upon feeling the postal bag before unpacking an experienced postal worker on the lookout for PM's could in an instant guess the contents and that's where the problem here is.

20220905_105728_resized.jpg 20220905_105741_resized.jpg 20220905_105741_resized.jpg 20220905_105932_resized.jpg 20220905_110433_resized.jpg 20220905_110528_resized.jpg 20220905_110624_resized.jpg 20220905_110414_resized.jpg

Oddjob and Golden Goose like this.
  18. REDBACK

Just wrapping the final product in newspaper with any tape to pad out the postal bag would have distributed the weight to the centre of the bag not allowing 30 ounces to slide from one end to the other.
    The shape of the bars would have been adequately disguised as well not allowing feeling hands to verify the true form in an instant.
    Its not a beauty contest,make it functional first then if you have time put a bow and love heart with a thank you card in the bag later.
    If this method is used on 2 to 3kg of bars and they are allowed to slide from one end of the bag to the other,your margin of losing your goods just doubled.
    This has actually happened to me years ago on SS with a newer member.
    He did exactly the same as above but with 4kg of bars.
    The bars were delivered over the counter to me,like handed to me.
    That's honesty.I just thanked them profusely had a fit in the car took some deep breaths and calmly called the new guy and walked him through packaging.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  19. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

and this is what happens when trying to get reimbursement from auspost…

[​IMG]

Real $ likes this.
  20. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

im not trying to ‘brag’ on auspost personnels..and there are many genuine (+ honest) ppl in there too…but I had several being ‘pintched’ of opportunists and ended me paying on my loss..

now, I always tell seller to pack my parcel with box so ‘light-fingered’ auspost-is won’t be able to do what they do best..