2020 Collapse

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TreasureHunter, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

WHEN I STARTED TO MAKE REAL WEALTH

Is when I realised I am not smart enough to call the absolute high and absolute bottom but just making 35% in each cycle is a real life changer.

I said when oil was negative $$$ that i will buy, so I did but sell at $100 a year ago.
    Last week I sold oil @ $100 even though oil could go to $150 plus

I said I am buying BTC in this thread months ago at $35k and i did even though it could go lower but that I will sell at $60k even if it goes higher.

SETTING a realistic target is key.. Don't try to outsmart the market.

No one needs to be an expert, just study enough and know more than the average punter

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  2. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My humour and sarcasm often falls flat on forums. Your post was one of the best on this forum, a good platform to encourage plenty of research on a number of future wealth-building options. Cheers to that and not a wasted effort !!

Real $, lucky luke and Ipv6Ready like this.
  3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Bingo - you make money when you buy. I recently exited Tesla with an awesome return because I got in cheap. Didn't have to fret over my exit price. There's only so much more upward mobility for what was a trillion dollar company.

Pretty much every stock I own bottomed out in March 2020, and I took some good positions in solid stocks like Target, Home Depot in April 2020, and even with the market drops I'm still sitting on 40-50% returns on those. Those are the chart dips when you make a major move - easy to say in hindsight, as at the time everyone was pulling their money OUT of the market. Good old contrarian investing. BTFD.

I'm gravitating more towards "dividend growth" investing for the long term, have put some money into a farmland REIT that just refuses to go down in price and dividends reinvest. I reinvest all dividends in the same stocks at the moment. Dividend income factors into my retirement plans - compound it now, live on it later. Buying good dividend stocks when they're depressed just increases your returns on base capital, even if capital growth eats into future yields. 3% yield on a $100 stock is a 6% yield if you bought it at $50 :)

Ipv6Ready, oziwassabi and heartastack like this.
  4. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

You are right, congrats!

But I was literally asking something: can you rent out Bitcoin? How? It sounds like an interesting way to make money. Don't know if that was Saylor's joke or if it's really doable.

Somewhere from 3:30 is where the interesting part starts - a bit later he starts talking about renting out property - after 7:38 he states that Bitcoin can be rented out:

How can you rend Bitcoin out?

This sounds AMAZING, really. It's a digital block that you own in the digital space and perhaps in the future others would spend a fortune to use it.

So, I am very curious about what Michael Saylor meant.

5. Ipv6Ready

Silver Stacker been the forum it is and if you are interested in trading ASX shares, look at Stake @ $3 a trade for CHESS sponsored is a bargain in Australia.

CHESS sponsored unlike etoro and IG etc which are custodian, means the shares are in your name, if anything happens to the broker!

Stake trades are currently $3. Spreads are good, not much different to NAB

If you have a trading account with other brokers and you transfer your portfolio over, you get 10 free trades a months till 2023!

I used to use NAB (long term) $15 a trade and IG (shorter term 1 to 3 years) $5 or $8 a trade.

I still have NAB, but what I used to trade in IG is now all in Stake.

https://hellostake.com/au/blog/featured-post/asx-portfolio-transfers

Note: the above is not a referal link

If you never traded before and don't have any brokerage account to take adavantage the 10 free trades a months...

1. Open up a brokerage account with stake, plus do point 2 at the same time.
    2. Open an account with one of etoro/IG/selfwealth etc (many brokerage also have promotion time to time to open an account. Selfwelath was offering $100 recently!)

3. Buy your first stock or two with the other broker. (to have at least $1000 plus in stock value)
    4. Buy a stock on Stake.
    5. Transfer your other brokerage stocks to Stake.

You have ten free trades a months for a year!

Personally I only trade once or twice a month, but if you are beginner, you will be surprised how many times you have the "need" to buy and sell. All these trades add up if paying $3 to $20 a trade.

Also remember... Buy and Sell is two trades

if you buy a stock it is a trade
    If you sell a stock it is a trade

Real $ and heartastack like this.
  6. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Youtube showed me some interesting ai enhanced old videos, and I thought I will make a comparison of 1930 Beijing versus 1930 Moscow. A tale of two cities?

1930 Beijing

1930 Moscow

Today, Moscow wants to move East. Do Russians actually know what this means? Russia is the West (European). How does the European become Chinese?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  7. TreasureHunter

^
    What do you mean by "how does the European become Chinese?", please elaborate.

Russia is being cut-off from Europe, they must do something about it, their currency just turned to rubble. So, politically, economically, militarily they must do something...

In my opinion, this way the two "scapegoats" can create an alliance in which they kind-of compensate for each other. Scratch each other's back.

Kind-of-like...

[​IMG]

When the thinner Russia is the "boss" in the relationship and gets to light the hungrier China's cigarettes. There is a lot of potential in those lungs that can smoke so many dirty cigarettes and, there's a lot of energy (for sale) in those matches.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  8. TreasureHunter

Key points:"
    - a new monetary order is forming (after Bretton Woods 1 and 2, a 3rd order will be formed)
    - non-Russian commodities are more expensive due to the Russian commodities being "taken out"
    - commodities no longer trade at par
    - this is a crisis of commodities in which China can "close the gap"
    - China can behave as an intermediary between Russia and the rest of the world, which will push the RMB up and the USD down on the longer term
    - Bitcoin will probably benefit from this

9. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Were seeing the slow death of the dollar and other things filling the void now. Its just becoming more obvious with the conflict and kicking Russia out of the system but was already in progress.
    Brandon is findng out that the universe doesnt revolve around him or his fed note.

66rounds and Real $ like this.
  10. sgbuyer

Yes, this is the question. I don't see any similarity between Chinese and Russian even if there's some sort of agreement between two individuals. An earlier colorised video from 1910 period. I believe it's just after the collapse of the Qing government. At 5 mins, 2 men did a half kneel greeting which is manchurian and not han chinese.

Russia is the scapegoat, not China. The Russian people will bear the entire cost of this mistake. I've talked about this even before the war started.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  11. TreasureHunter

Remember how Trump was bashing China? They are also being scapegoated.
    Additionally, the EU is attempting to block all trade of individual countries with China. Only the major colonialists (e.g. France, Germany, the Netherlands etc. want to trade... small countries like Greece, Hungary, Slovenia were blamed and almost sanctioned for attempting to build their own economic links with China WITHOUT the EU's "approval").

Actually I think Europeans and Russians will all pay the bills of the "Rusky intervention", while the US and China will win. I still can't believe how stupid Russia is to do all this dirty work. They probably attempted an Iraq-style invasion

Still, Russia and China are "too big to isolate". Perhaps Russia-China-Turkey (and the Turkic states of the "Organization of Turkic States") could team up to form a new system. I can see India, Iran, Pakistan joining, just that they hate each other, so it is hard to imagine them in the same gang. The idea would be a new trading system, perhaps a new reserve currency and a more powerful negotiation position.

Eventually, they will shop their dollars away in Africa, Latin-America and Europe, Southeast Asia... to get rid of them and buy their own currency or Gold.
    Russia-China-India could launch a new gold standard perhaps easier than we might think. They have all it takes.

Taking account of all these factors and trends, I can foresee the demise of the dollar and the gradual isolation of the USA.
    China is a quiet giant, unlike the aggressive Russian bear. If China gets up, the US economy is doomed (they can't even manufacture shoes).

This year and perhaps even next year the dollar will RISE vs EUR, despite the higher US inflation and US interest rates (0.25% to 0.50% is TINY, INSIGNIFICANT - perhaps 7-10% would be worrying, but like this... it's peanuts!).

The worst currency to hold right now it the Euro. But if you travel to Europe from the US or China, Japan, Australia - then, then your vacation will be cheaper this year than ever before :D

More people will slip into deep poverty in Europe. More people will end up on the streets. 10% inflation is already a reality. Wait 'til it hits 50%. It will push more people beyond the limit of financial survival.

12. sgbuyer

You're still dreaming. Russia is alone in this. First, you said the war won't happen. I said, it will happen.

13. TreasureHunter

I didn't believe Russia is just as aggressive as 50 years ago. There is a lot of saber-rattling and intimidation going around by various countries (China vs Taiwan, Iran, Pakistan vs India, Turkey vs Greece...) and nothing really happens, because they somehow all have enough brains to avoid real war. Threats are used to achieve political gains or as deterrent.

I was shocked when I heard that Russia did indeed invade Ukraine. Exactly like it was depicted in so many magazines, "armchair experts' maps".

Now Russia can't save their face, almost no-one believes them. Everyone has solid reason now to believe that "they're next".
    Putin managed to prove exactly what the west was saying about them.

Let's hope this disgusting war and soon. What I'm even more scared of is the fact that the sanctions and economic warfare could spiral out of control and drag half of the world with it.

This is when it's better to live in Uganda, Honduras, Cuba, Venezuela or Bolivia... because it's already so darn bad there that it can't get any worse! :D

14. sgbuyer

The biggest enemy for very powerful men is their own mortality. The first emperor of china, who built the biggest tomb in the world tried to bring his empire to the underworld by building the now famous terracotta army and underground palace. When he died, thousands including his concubines were buried with him.

15. TreasureHunter

^
    Perhaps you can understand the speech without subtitles

16. TreasureHunter

...and there's more:

17. sgbuyer

Another pile of rubble. Diverting the topic. I do that sometimes :D, but if we want to talk about the past, we should talk about the tens of millions of peasants that starved to death, the millions of original inhabitants of what is Southern China today.

Putin flew to Beijing to meet Xi for a meeting, and then here we are now. History is being recorded. :p

If I were China, I will use this once in a life time opportunity to save the world, become a true world leader, by stopping this war. Not by talking. Talk is cheap, but by action. Look far ahead, 100, 200 years. China has a lot to gain in the long term.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  18. TreasureHunter

19. sgbuyer

Don't divert the topic. It's Russia vs Ukraine. :D

Men do, Heaven watch.

20. Ipv6Ready

Ukraine vs Russia is old news now. Already being relegated to page 14 on braodsheets

Life goes on